“Super friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Flores
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Super friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I really appreciated that they let me check in at 8.30am in the morning after an early flight from Guatemala City. I expected to simply leave my bags and have to wait until late afternoon. After staying in several low-mid-priced hotels in Guatemala, this was the first with air conditioning which is an absolute must because of the humidity. Rooms are small and clean, view is great and the pool is pretty nice too.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Logan, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed one night here the end of April 2014. The location is great. The pool was nice and the room was fine-quite small but fine for our needs. We stayed in a room that had 2 beds (full/double, not queen). The included breakfast was good. Right outside the hotel in the evening food vendors set up tables and sold locally made guatemalan food. We were adventuresome and tried a few things! I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location, reasonably priced and breakfast is included where you can choose anything from the menu. The ladies at reception dont speak much english but you can get by. The majority of the rooms face the nice pool, the aircon is a little noisy but you get aircon, so no complaints there. Wifi drops in and out. There are ladies with food stalls that set up in the evenings just outside the hotel by the lake that sell tostadas with a huge variety of toppings, plus homemade sweets, very cheap!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

The hotel was great, ask for room 203 which overlooks the pool. Reception staff were lovely. The hotel is well located and there are plenty of dining options just outside the door. Great place for a couple of days.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I booked two rooms months ago, and I'm so glad I chose this hotel for our two night stay. I flew in from the U.S. to visit my Guatemalan friend and her family. I arrived on Good Friday and the following day we made our way from Guatemala City to Flores. I had rented a car and we spent the better half of the day traveling from point A to point B. We arrived in Flores at around 7 p.m. to find that the streets were packed with cars, people, and food stands along the promenade. What a sight to behold! It was very festive. We had a bit of a hard time trying to locate the hotel, but when we did, we were able to park exactly in front of the main entrance.

I had booked a double for myself and a triple for my friend and her family and both rooms were on the fourth floor, but when the receptionist saw that my friend has an amputated leg and uses a crutch, she quickly offered her a room closer to the ground floor. She kept insisting that the room was bigger and better than the one on the fourth floor. I told my friend to go for it and not to worry that we weren't going to be rooming next to each other.

We were given our keys and went up two flights of stairs to room 116, which was a triple room facing the swimming pool. Her family fell in love with the room. It was very roomy with 3 full size beds which worked perfectly for them. My friend and her husband slept in one bed, her oldest daughter took the other bed with her 4 month old baby, and the youngest child took the other bed. Although the room had very basic furnishing, it was clean and comfortable. The air conditioner was a big plus. The bathroom was big enough with good water pressure.

We then went up to my room which was a very tiny room with two full size beds squeezed in the room. One bed was against the wall. The room had a ceiling fan, AC, a carafe with filtered water and two glasses. The bathroom had a shower stall, no tub, and the closet was in the bathroom. I can't remember the room number, but it had a nice view of the pool and the lake. Each room had two seats outside.

The hotel was full and there were a lot of people around the pool area, either in the pool or enjoying a drink. Everybody was very friendly. We were hungry and ended up eating at the restaurant next door and after dinner, we called it a night as we had a long day the following day to Tikal.

Breakfast was included and we got to order from their menu a full, hot breakfast. I still don't understand why I was charged extra for the young girl when I had made reservations for 3 adults and 1 child. The waiter told us that the reservation only showed 3 adults. I was supposed to have taken it up with front desk but I just let it go...breakfast was very inexpensive. We ate our breakfast on the deck facing the street.

Upon returning from Tikal, the pool was again very busy as was the bar area. We again had dinner at the restaurant next door, and after dinner, my friends got in the pool while I just lounged around and decided to call it a night. I was exhausted. Although I was on the fourth floor I could clearly hear the noise from the pool below, but it didn't bother me in the least.

We had breakfast the following morning on the deck facing the pool, and it was just as filling as the previous morning. The mornings on the island are very peaceful, and I loved to walk outside the room to a beautiful view of the lake and its tranquility. Hotel Casona de la Isla was by far the best choice I could've made when looking for a nice place to stay on the island, and if I ever return to Flores, I will surely book my nights there.

Room Tip: Firecrackers in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Well located, good view, clean, good team, nice rooms, just be sure you get a AC room, if not the rooms are too hot . Great wifi. Straight to the lake in one minute take a swim, you can get good food by the lake and all this is within a minute, although my room didn't have AC still it was worth the money and all the agencies next to it to go to Tikal and other temples.

Room Tip: Ask a room with A/C
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Newmarket, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Lovely location, view of the lake from the pool, and the central courtyard surrounding said pool is quite pretty.

I stay here often and the rooms are pretty clean, have hot water (with good water pressure), and functioning AC units and fans (though the ACs are sometimes a bit loud and rattly). They provide clean water in carafes, and free breakfast in the morning. Rooms can be a bit small for 2+ people, but just fine for one. There are no washcloths, but plenty of towels and soaps/shampoos.

Front desk has friendly staff who is very helpful.

You can enjoy drinks at the pool while overlooking the lake. Perfect view.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Casona de la Isla? Share your experiences!