“Awesome hostel, even better hosts” 5 of 5 stars

San Miguel, Flores 502, Guatemala   |
Ranked #4 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Flores
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Awesome hostel, even better hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This hostel is in a beautiful location with amazing views. It is a short, and super easy boat ride from the main island of Flores. At first this concerned me, and I thought maybe it would be better to be on the main island, but once we got to flores and took the easy short boat ride, it was clearly worth staying at Chaltunha in San Miguel. The grounds are gorgeous and views of Flores are amazing. Neil the owner will help with anything. He set up our entire tour of Tikal and helped with any other question we had.

Overall, I would recommend this hostel to anybody. Great place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Review is for the original hostel in San Miguel. I did not visit the new one located in downtown Flores, which had just opened in Nov. 2013. Chaltunha is located a very short boat ride across the lake from Flores (easier to get to from the Flores airport than I thought it would be), and Neil (the owner) met me when I arrived off the boat later in the evening for a one night stay. He was very welcoming, we talked for a while, and was very helpful lining up a transfer to Tikal the next day and suggesting things to do there. The rooms here are screened-in elevated cabin/bungalow type things on wooded property which are quite basic but were comfortable for a night, and quite large. Beds were alright. If you're sensitive to sound, animals nearby or the neighbors may bother you, as there are only screens, but the noise went away during the night. The view is great and the property is cool too. Breakfast in the morning was also good. As long as you are comfortable with the screened cabin style, this is a great place and you will feel very welcome, and Neil will go out of his way to look after you.

Room Tip: All are the same I believe
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

we stayed there for two nights. was the most beautiful location! very friendly staff with a husband, wife and little boy. clean overall, highly efficient ceiling fan, would stay there again!! best regards from simon and maria from Denmark

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Awful place, friendly service

Not to be confused with the more established and well-rated hostel by the same name in San Miguel, Chaltunha Flores is, essentially, a dowdy, dirty old hotel which has been re-named and re-opened as a hostel.

Although it is still labelled 'El Itza', was easy enough to find - about a 5 min walk along the waterfront from where the buses drop you off. Everyone knows the big yellow building anyway.

Location is good, at the end of a row of lakeside restaurants. It does have tile floors which creates echoes, so bring earplugs in case of noisy neighbours.

The staff are very friendly and will go out if their way to help you. We arrived early in the morning and were offered breakfast. We also had a mix up with our dates and were able to change them at short notice no sweat. The restaurant was opened early for us on our last morning.

The Tikkal tour offered here is the same price quoted as many agencies in town. We found a much cheaper one through Los Amigos hostel.

The reception layout isn't conducive to comfort. No couches, hammocks it any of the like. Instead only uncomfortable, old hotel chairs. The kitchen is very basic and I couldn't find a working fridge. That said I saw some people successfully cook in it. Free water refills are a nice touch.

Internet gremlins will adore the internet quality in the foyer, but no coverage in some/all of the rooms could annoy.

Our room was poor overall. The beds were comfortable enough, but the sheets were not totally clean and had holes in them. The bathroom and toilet were stained and will give clean freaks nightmares. There was a spare tv in the corner taking up space and connected to nothing. At least the shower was hot.

There is no restaurant, but breakfast is down the street at a restaurant called cafe Uka. You get either 4 bits if toast with honey an butter or scrambled eggs. The eggs were fine. The service was good.

Out double room cost $20 a night, similar to others in town.

If this place were much cheaper than others, I could recommend it for 1 or 2 nights as an acceptable budget choice. But it's not, so I can't.

I hope this place turns around (and the San Miguel reviews suggest it will) because it has really nice staff!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ChaltunhaHostel, Owner at Chaltunha Hostel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thanks you for your response.
We are very sorry we didn't meet your very high standards of what a hostel is. We recently took over this building and I must say you are the only person that have complained about the facility. We believed we are giving great value for money. Compared to other hostels on the island its difficult to get better service and accommodation. How ever I will look into the problem you had with our facility and try to improve them. Thanks once again.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

The whole experience was wonderful. There were 2 downsides though. The roosters can crow early in the morning and the boatmen don't operate after 11pm so a late night is a bit tricky. However, the upsides vastly outweigh the down. The owner was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. He even gave me a ride to the boatman at 4am (given the time, he makes the arrangement) so I can catch my departure bus. The dining area/bar has a beautiful view of Flores. There is a nice pool and the hammocks were comfortable. The bungalow rooms are located within a small orchard. The local neighbors were incredibly friendly as well. I would book again in this hostel in a heart beat.

essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

We did not book in advance of our arrival which meant we walked up the very steep hill to reach this property, we would have been collected otherwise. The view is wonderful and it is restful to sit around the pool during the day. The cabins are neat and tidy but we were a bit disconcerted by finding a scorpion in our sink when we arrived back from town on our first evening. There are quite a few cockerels making noise at night as well as other wildlife, not a problem for me but they did disturb my partner. Neil and his wife are good hosts and this is probably a great place to stay if the weather is really hot which it was not whilst we were there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed here a couple weeks ago. It is a truly magical place, Neil and his wife Beatrice give you a very warm welcome and are very helpful for information. The rooms are awesome and are bug free. My help from Neil for the details of Tikal was perfect and you do not have to pay for extra tours that you do not need. Our group payed for only transportation to the park, once there we payed our park entrance fee. We as a group of three walked freely through the park on our own and there are plenty of people that are very informative about the Mayan culture. The water taxis are absolutely fun! Shoot across, go eat, shop, shoot back for dinner at Chaltunha! I have been cooking for 38 years and just trust me Beatrice's food is excellent. Go to Chaltunha for peace and quiet, go to the island for noise.
Thank you Chaltunha for a magical experience an I got all the Gopro video that I needed at the park of Tikal.
When I return Neil, I will stay for longer then 3 days and i will bring friends
Paul

Room Tip: Get the screened dorm
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Chaltunha Hostel? Share your experiences!