“Perfect for a romantic getaway.” 4 of 5 stars

The Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   114 West Louisiana Street, McKinney, TX 75069   |
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in McKinney
Atoka, Oklahoma
“Perfect for a romantic getaway.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary last year and it was a overall great experience. The rooms are luxurious and I would suggest getting an exterior room since our interior room was a bit small. The staff was excellent, and the manager even helped me plan some romantic surprises for my wife. They do a lot of weddings and the hotel can get a little rambunctious if you go during one. The downstairs bar has excellent live music and great drinks.

The hotel also owns Ricks Chophouse, a wine & cheese bar across the street, and an Italian restaurant all on the square. I HIGHLY reccomend Ricks Chophouse.

Room Tip: Try not to get an interior room as they are a bit cramped.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
lisanelson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I was not looking forward to turning 50, so I decided to follow my heart's desire and stay near my favorite historical downtown spot; McKinney, Texas. I considered some of the bed and breakfasts, but since this hotel is located in the downtown area, I decided upon it. I was so impressed by our room, 401. It is the nicest room I have ever stayed in. I have been blessed with traveling to Europe and many nice places, but this room gets first prize. I believe it is the nicest room in the hotel. I did peak into one of the other rooms, and though it was much smaller, it was still furnished beautifully and the bathroom was absolutely outstanding. 401 has a sitting area with gorgeous furniture and a fireplace with a huge flatscreen tv mounted above it. It also has a nice table and artwork on the walls, as well as bookshelves with many books to look through. The bathroom was amazing, with a large furniture piece with granite and two sinks, and a nice sized shower with good water pressure and a huge tub that I wished I had had the time to enjoy! It also had robes in a huge closet. The bed was enormous and so comfortable! I so wanted to move in and never leave. It is adjacent to Rick's Chophouse, and there are many nice restaurants and shops along the square. For breakfast, Spoons is just a block away, and Snug is right around the corner. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Stay at the Grand Hotel, I highly recommend it!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nevada, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is in an old building on the square in McKinney, which means exposed brick walls and heavy woodwork. It is furnished well with antiques, nice linens; but both the bedrooms and the bathrooms are small. I really enjoyed staying here except for the noise coming from the functions in the private rooms. The band at the wedding reception and the DJ from a birthday party were loud, but it ended at a decent time (10:30 p.m.?) If you're in town in business and have a lot of work to do on the computer, the facilities are not conducive. But we asked about a refrigerator, and two maids brought a small one to our room. Now that's service!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the ballrooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Spent the night during my company's Christmas Party. Food and Service was very good. Room was rather disappointing. It had no windows, was rather small, and the A/C unit made a ton of noise - too much to sleep. Also, the door did not meet the floor very well. Beside the kight the shown in from the hallway, I was honestly afraid someone could lay on the floor and watch us! Hey, no kids and an x-mas party atmosphere - just sayin'

Would go back though.

Room Tip: Get one with a window or give up and move to Marriott on Stacy
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Grand, as we were in town for a wedding and the reception was held at the Grand. I would rate it 4.5 stars if I had that option. But since TA only uses full-star increments, I'm ultimately rounding up to a 5 since the Pros solidly outweigh the Cons.

Cons:
• The walls are paper thin. We could hear every word of the conversation in the room next door, and they weren't even being loud. (In any other hotel that I didn't love this much, that would have majorly irked me, but the hotel was so great that it became a minor annoyance) :)
• There are oddly no towel bars in the bathroom. It was weird, you have to lay your hand towel across the sink which was kind of awkward. Weird, because the bathroom was quite large and there was room for several towel bars if they wanted.
• No hotel-specific parking. It was sunny when we were there, so we didn't have to walk in the rain or anything. There is a large lot 1/2 block from the hotel which made this not such a huge issue. (And added to the charm/quirk of the small hotel.)

Pros:
• The staff, as everyone else has said, is AMAZING! So friendly and accommodating. I believe the manager's name is Jose, and he's a gem.
• Our room was spotless. I was TRYING to look for something icky and couldn't find it.
• The lounge downstairs was so fun and funky. A blues trio was playing one night, and it was just the perfect ambiance to go with a glass of wine or a martini.
• The furniture in the room was gorgeous. It was all "real" furniture - antiques and sleigh bed and solid wood pieces. There was even a ceiling fan - major bonus points there!
• Excellent & plentiful Gilchrist & Soames toiletries. Even a little loofah and a mini bottle of Scope mouthwash.
• The food was amazing. We didn't have a chance to eat at Rick's Chophouse, but the heavy hors d'oeuvres served at the wedding reception (catered by Rick's) were amazing - each one was better than the last. Would have loved the chance to have eaten there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We wanted charm and we got charm and right downtown McKinney too! We had a wonderful stay. We shopped all afternoon with the friendliest people and ate at Rick's Chophouse, the hotel's restuarant. We can't wait to go back! The hotel is comfortable and inviting and the food was absolutely wonderful! Service was even better, if that is possible. Highly recommend a downtown McKinney stay at the Grand Hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed for one night while in McKinney for business. Old school, traditional room with antique-appearing furniture and fixtures. King sized bed was quite comfortable. The bathroom wasn't dirty but certainly was not the most sparkling one I've seen. Mostly the sink and fixtures seemed old. Service was great and for the price, a good value stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!