“Good Alternative” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #75 of 247 Restaurants in McKinney
Cuisines: Thai
“Good Alternative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We usually eat at Thai Noodle Wave, but decided to try Thia Pan instead. We really enjoyed it. We will definitely go back again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

McKinney, Texas
“Great Asian - Thai food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Hidden away in McKinney behind Olive Garden off of 380 and 75 is a wonderful restaurant that serves the best Thai - Asian food around. Phone 972 548 9955
I am from Hawaii, grew up with the best foods available and you can take my word for it, this place rocks as the dishes are cooked fresh to order, the appetizers, soups, the Thai - Asian dishes have the flavor of a real Thailand experience. The fried rice dishes are great as are all of the other dishes and you can choose shrimp, chicken and beef to add to the dishes. If your vegetarian, no problem, try the green beans and any of the veggy dishes and your taste buds will be singing. Order food spiced from "sissy" to "my ears are on fire" and enjoy.
Aug 18, 2012
PS I eat here at least once a week, something new each time and have not been disappointed.
They even deliver! No I do not work for them, just love the food.
1720 N. Central Exp, Ste 170 behind Olive Garden, McKinney Tx.
ST foodie

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mussoorie, India
“This trip, a mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I haver been to Thai Pan several times but this was the first time I have been since I have been reviewing. Each time I have had a very nice experience, and I do count this as one of them but it was just off a bit as I will explain.

The decor is unassuming, a mix of browns and earth tones with a few asian flairs here and there but with country music playing. It is texas and it was lunch time but I don't recall the music the other times so not sure if this is always the case. I think not as I think it would have stood out as a clash.

It was lunch time and I went to the lunch menu. The entree came with soup, and I had just had a coke and was feeling like water, so went with that.

The soup was Tom Yum Gai, and she said it was "lemongrass soup" and I don't want to disagree with the asian waitress, but it wasn't what I would call lemongrass soup. There was very little lemongrass and a very light if any lemongrass flavor, but that isn't truly the point because the soup was delicious.

It was more of what I would consider a hot and sour soup and it had small bits of chicken, mushrooms and some other minced things, but it was a great soup with a bit of zing to it.

The soup was a stand out soup regardless of what its called or what I think it is! Nothing on the menu is called Lemongrass Soup, so I took a guess from the menu I snagged on the way out to write this review. I thought I would find "Lemongrass Soup" it wasn't the case.

I choose the Pad Prik Khing for the entree. It was oriental green beans, blel peppers and kaffir lime leaves in a spicy red curry and I asked for extra spicy of course, with chicken.

This is where things took a turn.

The entree was a large pile of mostly green beans. Too many green beans for what I expect to be a mix. The bell peppers were virtually nonexistence. and there was an unusual taste. Not bad necessarily but when I was thinking it was tasting like Murphys Oil Soap might taste it didn't help. But Murphys Oil Soup has a bright and fresh smell to it, which isn't bad, but.....disconcerting.

I couldn't identify why but I think it might have been the kaffir leaves, but by themselves that shouldn't be and wondered if there was some artificial flavoring, but I am not sure.

It was good, and unusual. It wasn't the quality I have had here in the past, and it was amazing soup, odd main course. So a mixed bag.

But I will go back and I will write again so that we have a cross section for you to make a better decision.

It ran under 8 bucks for the lunch special but I did expect a little more food, more rice and not so many green beans.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“good quality, good price, good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

We go to Thai Pan regularly and always have a good experience. Service is attentive. We particularly enjoy the summer rolls and their soups.

• Visited February 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ridgeway, Virginia
“Will go again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

My husband and I finally tried Thai Pan last weekend and we really liked it. The waitress was very sweet and did a good job. She recommended the Pad Thai after I asked her her favorite but I love peanut sauce and we both ended up ordering the Peanut Sauce dish (that's how it is actually listed on their menu) with pork. She brought us odd chips that look like polystyrene but have a very light ,sweet taste and melt in your mouth. The decor is good (looks new) and it looks like it should be more heavily trafficked but there only a few people there while we were despite the number of cars at the Olive Garden that pretty much shares the same parking lot. I don't think people know that this place is here or that it is so good.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Thai Pan? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Thai Pan, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.