“So Friendly and Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Shop and Stay
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in McAllen
Duncanville, Texas
“So Friendly and Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I believe in guest service and so does the Embassy Suites in McAllen. When we stepped in Thurs. from an early flight we were greeted by Kathryn who took care of us everyday. Every morning Rueben greeted us with a smile ready to help us with anything we needed. Our granddaughter was with us so we took many trips to the mall and Martin was great. Sylvia kept our room spotless. Everyone greeted us smiling everyday. Thanks so much.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are very large and spacious with a large sitting area with a small dinning table and multiple couches. The bedrooma is also quite large with plenty of space for a king bed and plenty of storage. A large flat screen tv is also in each room.

The only downfall to the rooms are the dated bathrooms. They are quite small with dated fixtures. However the bathrooms along with the rest of the room and hotel are all very clean.

Fitness center has new equipment but appears to be an after thought considering the size of thw hotel. Just 4 pieces of cardio equipment and 2 benchs with dumbells ranging from 5 to 50 pounds. Definitely enough to get by but can be useless with a decent crowd

the cook to order breakfast and free happy hour are both excelllent.

Overall very good hotel for the right price.

• Stayed May 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

The Embassy Suites used to be the place to stay in McAllen when you were traveling to the Rio Grande Valley, but alas like many great ruins this Hotel is well past its prime.
The worst part of the Hotel is not the rooms which ALL seem to have 1 problem or another; it is the some of the Management team that seems to just not care. I stayed at the Hotel 5 times from Jan 2012 thru March 2012, and while the Host Company I am working for has it as their preferred hotel in the area, I finally had to move out in disgust. The first room I was in the Microwave did not work the next room the TV needed to be replaced, the third room the Refrigerator did not have any knobs and was not cooling properly. Other rooms had stains on the carpet and furniture, the Hotel Maintaince is obviously not a top priority for some of the Management team. The maids fail to empty trash cans, do not leave enough towels and in general rarely speak English to allow you to explain to them what you need or want.

The Front Desk staff is very nice and helpful and deserve a great deal of the credit for keeping this hotel popular despite the lack Managements effort which shows in many areas. The hotel, like most Embassy hotels have a giant courtyard in the center, which houses the breakfast and cocktail area. At night they bring in a musician to play guitar and sing, The noise goes on until 9pm, then another group starts in the Bar area and remains until Midnight on many weeknights, making the party noise come right into your room, especially if you are on one of the lower floors. The hotel has 9 floors and a room on floors 1-5 mean you’re listening to Mariachi music until well into the evening on many nights. For the party animals reading this, go for it, but if you are trying to get work done or get an early nights sleep, this is not your Hotel.

What finally drove me out of the hotel, regardless of my host companies desires, was the Management team, David Ozuna specifically, not enforcing the rules in the Hotel regarding Non Smoking Policy. The Hotel has non-smoking floors, which I always ask for. I was placed on the 9th floor of the Hotel away from the noise as well. But when I got off the elevator Friday @ 5pm, I smelt cigarette smoke right away, walking towards my room the odor got stronger and I could see in a room 3 door from my own that the guest was in the room with the door wide open with a guest inside clearly smoking. I knocked on the door and informed the people inside that this is a non smoking floor and that they are not allowed to smoke in these rooms. The 2 gentleman apologized and promised to put out the cigarettes and I thought that would be the end of it, but it was not. 15 minutes later after I had dropped off my bag, and checked my Emails, I began to leave for dinner only to see the room door still open and cigarette smoke still bellowing from the room. This time I called down to the front desk to complain to Management. They told me they would look into it; they did not come up to the floor until my second call 30 minutes later at which time the guest had left and his door was closed . The next morning I was in my room and could smell smoke coming into my room from the hallway. I dressed, and again saw guests smoking in the same room, Hotel Staff was there, and I asked them what they were going to do about it, they said they “ nothing, maybe report it to management”. I went down and talked to the Assistant Manager David Ozuna, and asked him what he was going to do about the situation; he said he was monitoring it. I then gave him three options, 1 Move the guest to a non-smoking floor. 2 Ask the guest to leave the hotel if he could not follow the non smoking policy rules 3. Expect that I would be checking out if nothing was done. I told him I was going out and would be back in @ 3 hours to see what his answer was. I returned 3 hours later and spoke with Mr. Ozuna again; he said he was still monitoring the situation. I asked if he had talked to the guest about the smoking issue, he had not. I asked him if he offered to move the guest to a non smoking room, again he did not. I asked him if he had escalated the issue to senior management, again he did not. I asked him what he expected me to do, He asked that I understand the position he was in. He never offered any other option during these conversations to correct the issue. I told him I was going to my room to make alternative arrangements and to pack my bags. There was no offer of help, no offer to compensate me for the inconvenience, no offer to move me to another Hilton Property, nothing but a weak plea to understand the position he was placed in, which I failed to see as a compelling reason for me to put up with nauseating smoke in a non smoking room. He never asked the guest to stop smoking in a non smoking room, he never asked the guest to keep his door closed to contain the smoke in the room and not have it dispersed in the hallways, He never confronted the Guest with the issue because he was afraid of offending the guest, without regard to other guests who were already offended. Bad management from start to finish, such a shame for a once great hotel! The next day the Hotel Manager Edward Lopez tracked me down and apologized profusely for the problem and the lack of a proper resolution, While I felt his apology was sincere and that if he was on duty things would have been different, the lack of a uniform policy to address what must be a rather common situation in any hotel is both disturbing and enough to keep me away.

Room Tip: If you stay, get a room on a high floor, 7th or above, to avoid the noise from the music playing eve...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Frisco, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Probably your best choice in the McAllen market for business travelers. Clean room, Ok room service and attentive breakfast service team in the morning. Only complaint is related to the loud music from the bar musician at 10:30pm that echos in the atrium. Nobody should have to fall asleep listening to the Tejano cover version of Big Yellow Taxi...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Corpus Christi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

A traditional Embassy Suites. A little older, but well maintained. My suite had large flat screens in both rooms and the beds were nice. What I liked the most about this hotel was the warm welcome at the front desk. They made you feel they were genuinely happy you were there. The breakfast was great and again amazing hospitality was shown. As someone walked around taking your used plate, they asked if they could bring you something else. Unheard of, since it was a buffet style breakfast and not a restaurant environment. This may not have been the nicest Embassy Suites I have stayed at, but I gave it 5 stars for the warm hospitality.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

The rooms were a bit outdated compared to what one would expect from a typical Embassy Suites, but they're also still spacious and above average. The breakfast was absolutely fantastic. You can't beat a complimentary breakfast with cook to order meals. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011 via mobile

Was in McAllen for business meetings, our travel staff had us at the Embassy Suites. It was a good basic business hotel. Some concerns, the elevators ran slow and the breakfast was fairly basic with nothing creative. Good basic comfortable hotel but nothing overlly exciting.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel McAllen? Share your experiences!