“Nice hacienda style hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in McAllen
Monterrey, Mexico
“Nice hacienda style hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a nice Hacienda Hotel Downtown McAllen, operating since 1918.
Most of the hotel is renovated. Welcoming staff, but a bit disorganized.
We had a nice room with view to the patio where now the pool is located.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Our party of 5 arrived by private plane at the McAllen Airport, very near the Renaissance. We called for the hotel shuttle to pick us up at the private terminal and were told that it would arrive in 7 minutes. Thirty minutes later, when the shuttle had not arrived, we called the hotel 2 more times before it finally arrived. It had been waiting at the airline terminal.

When we arrived at the hotel, both rooms were not what we had requested, and it was 30 more minutes before we were given the correct beds and view that we had reserved.

That evening we were planning for the next morning's breakfast and asked the lady at the front desk if there would be a buffet the next morning. She replied that there was never a buffet, but the restaurant would have menu service. The next morning, lo and behold a big buffet was set up in the lobby.

The hotel facilities are clean and beautiful, but it aopears that no one working there has any training or experience whatsoever.

• Stayed November 2012
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I simply needed a quiet retreat for a couple of nights after coming to town for a wedding and staying at a relatives house. Since this was priced just moderately above your usual Express-type hotel I decided a splurge a little and I am glad I did. While maybe not deserving of an Excellent rating outside of McAllen, it would certainly be a solid choice in even Dallas or Houston. The hotel is beautiful and the entrance leading up to the front door is eye candy and a very popular spot for photographers.

I am fairly low-key so I didn't request much in the way of service, but everyone I came across was polite. Since this is a historic hotel keep in mind that the rooms will vary in size - some may be on the tight side and some rooms have very poor views. As for the views, you're in McAllen...I doubt very many people spend much time looking out the window but if that's important to you it might be smart to make a request before checking in. The rooms facing the pool courtyard appear to be more appealing and larger. While some of the furnishings looked a little tired, the rooms themselves are updated, tastefully decorated, and comfortable. I am not very familiar with the neighborhood other than it's not glamorous but nonetheless a very close drive to nightlife and restaurants.

I know the common areas were recently renovated and I think it looks very fresh, modern, and crisp while keeping all the Spanish character that makes this hotel very unique and a stand-out from everything else in town. If you are looking for a hotel with character and a little out of the ordinary in McAllen, this is your home.

Room Tip: Since this is a historic hotel, some rooms are tight with poor views so I would call in advance if t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel October 19-20th (1 night in a standard room, 1 night in the honeymoon suite). All I can say is this is a beautiful, historic hotel. In my opinion, I'm a local, this hotel is the best in McAllen. The service is great and the food is superb. The rooms are small but not crammed. I had breakfast included in the price of my room and it wasn't a cheap little muffin and coffee. The suite is pretty big but it's pretty standard ( everything you would need/ expect nothing you don't) still nothing to complain about there. Something I can complain about bell boys are not readily available and parking can be a challenge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The VERY WORST part... is that when checking in with a military rate on Veterans day weekend - you received the very WORST room on the entire property (mind you - hotel was maybe 1/10th booked). One small window overlooking a barbed wire fence, ac unit view, train passes by to shake the fillings out of your molars and upper level parking garage landscape. Small, damp, no room to walk around. Dirty and sticky 'flyers' for the guests to look at, only two empty outlets in the whole room/bathroom.

I can't say how disappointed I am with the overall upkeep of this hotel. Phones didn't work (they fixed them, but then didn't answer when we tried to make a wakeup call all evening). Woke up both mornings with a stuffy nose and what felt like cold-like symptoms. Shuttle bus is a retrofitted ambulance that won't take you where you need to be. Massive fridge in the room (destroyed the decor & could barely walk around the bed), bug in water at the restaurant (only 1 other table booked on a Fri night at 7 p.m.), glasses we wouldn't drink our wine out of, view of a wall in a parking lot, worn out towles, remote only worked once every 10 times you pushed it, not good rental movie quality, humid room, no vent in the bathroom, constant construction and banging - don't think that you will be able to sleep in after 8 a.m., sewer smell when we came in the second night, and the worst... scared to death driving up the parking garage - up and down lanes in one small circular drive up, only one mirror on one floor to forsee if you are going to have a head on collision. You think they would warn you with signs or some sort of flashing light when people are on the drive so you don't assume you will be safe.

Good food in the restaurant - really tasted good - some of the best I have ever had (chef is great). Can't figure out why anyone would want to serve here as they wouldn't make any money. For the most part people were very kind, but its gotta be hard to please people when your property looks like this. Aveda products (nice) and toothpaste in bathroom.

So absolutely disappointed in this hotel that I am writing this laying in bed almost ready to check out in the middle of the night and drive 6 hours home early so we don't have to spend another night.

Hotel needs complete transformation - not just a front door or some new paint. Someone obviously came in and did some interior decorating in the lobby, but everything else looks as if it is falling apart. Spend some serious dough and shut this place down for two weeks and revamp the whole thing. Stop painting over the trim - and sand it off and re-paint. I kept saying to myself "just pretend I am in Europe at a hostel".

Worked for Marriotts in Houston for 3 years and another hotel chain. Would have never thought this was even allowed by the corporation.

Stay at a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn - much better bang for your buck. Felt like we were staying at a motel 8 at best or a Mexican prison.

Nov 8 and 9 2012.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sandyarnold, General Manager at Renaissance Casa de Palmas, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Military Guest. First let me "Thank You for Your Service". We all need to make sure we show our gratitute to our men and women in the military. I must apologize for your experience and assure you that it is not typical and I have shared your comments with my team. Because of the historical nature of the hotel, yes some of our rooms are smaller than the newer hotels and yes being a downtown location, some of our room views are not as spectacular as others. I would very much like to have the opportunity to really show you a Renaissance Casa De Palmas experience so if you should like to contact me and we can discuss how we can make this right. I look forward to you connecting with me. Warmly, Sandy Arnold
ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I booked my hotel room two weeks in advance and when I arrived to check in I was told that the hotel was "overbooked" and that there was no room for me. I was told there was no manager I could speak with. I simply don't find it reasonable for a hotel to overbook, if this was indeed the case.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
sandyarnold, General Manager at Renaissance Casa de Palmas, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear reynosabustraveler,

First and foremost, I must apologize for the inconvenience of your unexpected relocation. Unfortunately we had several guests who decided to stay an extra evening with us and we were not able to contact them causing us to not have a room available for you.

Please allow us the opportunity to make it up to you when you are again in the McAllen area. Contact me directly and I will personally secure your room and add breakfast in the morning.

Again, we apologize for this unfortunate incident and look forward to serving you in the future.

Sandy Arnold, General Manager
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Absolutely super Hotel.Superb value.Friendly helpful staff.Very good quality food at a very reasonable cost. Super room.
Probably the best hotel we stayed in the USA during 25 day stay in the USA.Can not recommend

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Casa de Palmas? Share your experiences!