“Don't expect anything Earth-shattering!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Zuzhi La Plaza Mall (sushi)

Zuzhi La Plaza Mall (sushi)
501 W. Business 83, McAllen, TX 78501
956-668-7655
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #110 of 376 restaurants in McAllen
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Doing business
Description: Hungry: Start off your night by feeding your innermost culinary desires in our new McAllen setting in La Plaza Mall. Experience a journey though world-class Asian cuisine with a select and experienced staff that offers outstanding customer service.
San Juan, Texas
“Don't expect anything Earth-shattering!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I had visited this establishment before my most recent visit. I had lunch with a colleague and we were both trying this sushi restaurant shortly after it initially opened. Having frequented several other sushi restaurants were we both initially disappointed by our experience. We tried four different types of sushi rolls, crab salads, and edamame. As far as taste goes, like the title of my review states nothing to write home about. I returned to this place with my family recently hoping that some changes had been made, but were disappointed again. My brother-in-law, who is from Houston, was particularly disappointed about the taste and price. I had warned him of my previous experience but he opted to give it a chance. My wife and sister-in-law were both displeased as well. You just seem to chow down on the rolls not being able to really pick out a distinguishing feature. For example, the imitation crab really tastes like imitation with its rubbery texture and overly sweet taste. I have given this establishment two tries, and it has let me down both times. I will state that the food is not terrible or not prepared well, but I think that the problem lies with their choice of ingredients.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
South Texas
“New York Chic in Small Town McAllen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Found this by accident when I searched for a Japanese restaurant in McAllen. We usually go to Kumori Uptown, which we find superior, but Zuzhi may be another fave McAllen Japanese restaurant. First, the atmosphere is by far the best in this area for a Japanese restaurant. Large space and VERY New York contemporary chic. The menu (down side--hard to read in the dark lighting) is extensive and has sushi choices that are unusual along with the regular. Yes, there is a Rainbow roll, but there is also a Reynosa roll that is filled with fresh raw fish inside and out, cilantro, and the best--a squirt of delicious grapefruit sauce which adds a touch of taste bud excitement. Our appetizer, a spicy tuna salad, was indeed spicy (which we love) and tucked within were large leaves of seaweed that tasted like it was fresh from the sea. The sliced cucumber could have used more acidity with rice vinegar, but overall was fresh and good. We ended with green tea ice-cream--served in a martini glass: classy! Bottom line, very good Japanese restaurant. A surprising find in McAllen. We will be back!

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mexico City, Mexico
“Abobe Average sushi place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012 via mobile

After all this is McAllen, so don't expect a wide variety of restaurants and even less in La Plaza Mall. There are only unhealthy fast food around this great option. The price is fine, the food too but I received a very bad recommendation of an employee.
But it's a pretty good option.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“WORLD CLASS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011 via mobile

So my buddies and I went to watch the last Saints game there because we noticed they show all the NFL games on projectors and TVs and it was great! First of all, it's hard to find a high end place thatll play sports on their channels.... But this one had good drinks, awesome sushi rolls, and some cool art hanging on the walls!

I agree with all the good reviews this restaurant has had!

The hostess was pretty cute too...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas
“Not sure why the ratings are so high...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I ate at this restaurant last night with my pregnant wife, and we were pretty underwhelmed. After seeing the great reviews on TripAdvisor and the #1 ranking, we were sure it would be a great experience. We showed up and parked in a dark alleyway next to the restaurant. Two guys were smoking down the alley and started quickly following us into the restaurant. Apparently these were the hosts, as they quickly put out their cigarettes, grabbed 2 menus, and said, "Right this way." Our waitress was a particularly disappointing (albeit entertaining) part of our night. We started out telling her my wife was pregnant, and asked if she had any recommendations for cooked rolls. She said, "Um, I think the Salmon is smoked." She asked if we wanted anything to drink before bringing us a drink menu. I ordered a hot saki. "One cups or two" she asked. I thought she must mean that there were 2 sizes. I asked what the price difference was, since there was only one price listed on the menu. She said she would go ask for me but it was probably only a couple dollars more for 2 cups. I said it's fine, I'll take the larger one. She returned with a small carafe of saki with 2 saki cups. 2 cups. I asked her what I could possibly need 2 saki cups for, to which she responded with a puzzled face. She then brought the appetizers we ordered, cleared them, and about 10 minutes later while our table was completely clear except for our water glasses, asked, "How is everything?" I responded that the water is fantastic. I'll stop here. I think you get the point that our waitress was terrible (I would feel fair saying retarded but I don't want to be too mean). Everything came out on black plastic credit card trays. The miso soup was awful. It was almost room temperature, not nearly salty enough, and had so many scallions in it you couldn't taste anything but onion. It even came out on a black plastic credit card/bill tray. The best part was when she brought us our bill, no credit card tray! They must all have been in use for the sushi. The sushi rolls came out with the pieces laid flat on their side spread out over the plastic tray with no sauce or any garnish whatsoever besides ginger and wasabi. When she brought out the sushi rolls, we had no plates or dipping dishes for soy sauce. I asked if we could have a dipping dish and she had no idea what I meant. I had to explain, again, why you would need a dish to mix the wasabi and soy sauce in. The menu was pretty large and 3 pages long, but I've never seen such awful things on a sushi restaurant menu. They had rolls with chicken, roast beef, etc. I get it that we're in Texas and people don't really do sushi, but come on. If you're going to do sushi, do sushi. Other than that, they just had the basics. Nothing special, exciting, or unique. The rolls were tasteless and bland. The way that they were arranged laid out in one flat layer on the plastic tray made it not only extremely visually offputting, but also made it so the pieces were almost cold by the time they got to our table. The presentation was pathetic. The sushi rolls were cut into pieces so large that we had to literally use a fork and a knife to cut it into 2 or 3 pieces before it was bite sized. I asked for some sauces and the waitress brought me a tray of 3. One tasted like grocery store hot sauce (closest thing I can compare to is Cholula, but Cholula is way better than this was), the other was eel sauce, and the final 'spicy mayo' was not what you typically expect from a sushi place. Instead, it was most certainly mayonnaise mixed with the Cholula imitation hot sauce. Terrible. The tempura rolls we ordered were 'tempura'd' in batter that tasted more like the breading on a chicken nugget. It was soggy and not crisp. When we came into the restaurant, the Kim Kardashian wedding was playing on E! on all of the TVs and there was jazz piano music playing. Then the bartender changed the channel (we got to watch all of the 10 or so TVs show us as he was scrolling through the DirecTV guide for about 5 minutes) to ESPN. For a place that (get ready, this is hilarious) has Crystal and Dom Perignon on their menu, I would expect that they might have something a little more suiting on the TVs. The place has a few cool decorations like a big black chandelier, but then other details ruin it. Instead of having some cool/traditional red asian paper lamps hanging down, they tied up bunches of red balloons to the columns throughout the restaurant. The tables and chairs were fine, but the booths look like they came straight out of TGI Friday's. They are covered in cheap ugly fabric and extremely uncomfortable. We could never tell who the manager or owner was, but there was a well dressed lady walking through the restaurant the entire time who seemed to be one of the two. She clomped throughout the restaurant the entire time we were eating with shoes loud enough to be the baseline in a club. She never acknowledged, looked at, smiled, or asked how our experience was or if we needed anything, but walked around the restaurant moving things around, straightening up, changing the TV channels (again), etc...things that should be done when diners are not in the restaurant. Full disclosure, I lived in NYC for several years and Miami Beach for 4 years, so I have been accustomed to expect great sushi from great restaurants. However, even for a remote Texas town this really was a disappointment. Basic things any restaurant should get right were epic failures. The prices were fine, about what I'd expect to pay at a GOOD sushi place, but nothing exhorbitant. To give it a few positives/credit...the saki selection is awesome and the mixed drinks are pretty interesting, and they have a great selection for bottle service if you're looking to spend $500 on a bottle of Crystal while eating in a mediocre sushi restaurant while watching the Kardashians.

• Visited October 2011