“No amenities, bad service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 McAllen East

You added Motel 6 McAllen East to your Saves list
Motel 6 McAllen East
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   801 E. Expressway 83, McAllen, TX 78501 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn)   |
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in McAllen
New Mexico now (lived in Jamaica and Trinidad)
“No amenities, bad service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Ok, it's an inexpensive hotel and it was clean. I wasn't too surprised that there was no coffee maker in the room, no hair dryer, no iron, no refrigerator, no microwave, and no continental breakfast. But here's where they were uniquely cheap: NO shampoo in the room? We had to go out at night to buy some. And NO alarm clock/clock radio? I have never stayed in a hotel that didn't provide at least shampoo and a clock. Here's where it gets completely unacceptable: Because I didn't have an alarm clock, I requested a wake-up call from the front desk. THEY DIDN'T CALL. Awoke to the taxi in front, honking, so had to rush out with no time to get ready. And even worse: the hotel manager refused to even apologize for this. "They must have put the note in the wrong place." I could have missed my flight! The guy actually got snippy.

We moved to the America's Best Value Inn in Harlingen, which cost the same as the one in Mcallen. The service at the ABVI in Harlingen was great AND they DID provide not only shampoo and a clock (and a wake up call), but the room had an iron, a hair dryer, a microwave and frig., free use of a computer in the lobby and even breakfast!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
rubenreyes, Manager at Motel 6 McAllen East, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
I am so sorry to see that you did not enjoy yoru stay I have looked into the issues that you mentioned and have taken care of them. We are hoping to offer a larger Breakfast in the near future, and hope that you return so that I may show you the true meaning of customer service.

Mayur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
In the woods @ the end of the road
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Overcharged at the Pharr ABVI, (see review for that location) I moved here to find a bare bones version which should be called Motel 6, because that's what the front clerks say
management is trying to copy. Room with one bed was small & comfortable. Walls are thin as I could hear voices & tv next door. With so few people staying there, why would you put them side by side or one above another? Newer 42" flat screen tv with about 60 channels. Desk top fridge.

I thought I'd get a continental breakfast like other America's Best Value Inns. WRONG!
The owner(s) is too CHEAP. Apparently keeping enough granulated sugar on hand for the FREE COFFEE is more than they could handle. That and the dead bug on the floor next to the head of the bed caused me to leave.

There is a fellow who works there and wears a "Customer Relations" badge who said
he'd see what he could do to remove the charge for one night or comp me on my next stay. He should definitely be management, but the owner(s) don't have the sense.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
I am so very sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay I have looked into the issues that you described and have taken care of them. We are hoping to offer a larger Breakfast in the near future, and hope that you return so that I may show you the true meaning of customer service.

Floresville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

We stayed at the Americas Best Value Inn over Thanksgiving. The property and the pool were very clean and the price was very reasonable, especially over a holiday. The rooms were nice and roomy and the beds were very comfortable. I would recommend staying there if you're ever in McAllen.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
I am so very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay I hope to see you again soon

Monterrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I've been to other americas best value inns before and I usually get a mediocre room. They have wonderful beds and a great staff. I normally pay almost double for a room else where for the same quality of room. I would definitely stay here again !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you return soon

Galveston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Stay Date: 9/5/09 1 night
Just returned from a last minute "Labor Day" Trip down to Mc Allen TX. Made reservation for couple rooms well ahead of time, but when we arrived/ checked-in, the reservation desk could only find 1 approved reservation. Evidently there was problems. The clerk was very, very nice about getting the issue resolved. She went very much beyond her way to help out. We appreciated that. However, the hotel offiers very, very limited accomodations, for example, soap/shampoo is kept on wall in dispensers. One of my guests asked for a complimentary razor, & was told the hotel did not supply them. American offers a continental breakfast, again very, very limited & all cold food,i.e.cereal, milk. Pool was out of order due to rain the night before, & the owner did say it woulld be available the next day, & I'd be notified, I wasn't & it wasn't available. Don't recommend staying @ this place if U'r looking for a pleasant above average stay.

Sugar Land, TX
1,270 helpful votes 1,270 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

I stayed at this Microtel over the 3 nights of 25-27 May 2007. The motel is within 4 miles of the McAllen airport.

To reach the motel, exit the airport via either Bicentennial or 10th Street, turn right onto the Hwy. 83 frontage road, get onto the freeway, exit "Jackson/Sam Houston," U-turn under 83, and prepare to turn right into the motel's lot. The motel is between a drive-through bank and a Joe's Crab Shack (which you should AVOID -- there is plenty of other fast and sit-down food across the highway). The neighborhood is safe.

There is plenty of parking in front and on either side of this 3-story motel (which has interior corridors). The lobby is spotless. All rooms are nonsmoking, but there's an ashtray outside the lobby doors.

Just off the lobby is a breakfast room (open 6a-10a), featuring cereals, fresh rolls & pastries, coffees & juices, and a hot-waffle machine. The quality and quantity of the items and the duration of service were excellent. There's a cola machine on every floor in the middle of the hall, beside the elevator.

I checked in very late (midnightish). The front desk had my web reservation (2-night minimum for $45/night). I asked for and was given the top floor, quietest room possible. The speedy elevator took me to the 3rd floor and room 306 with its key-card entry.

My immediate impression was that the room was spotless, and that it was neither overly spacious nor too cramped. The room featured a queen bed flanked by wall-mounted nightstands; a wall-mounted desk with a chair; thick curtains over what appeared to be a sleeping-ledge (padded and with an angled headrest), on which I set my suitcase; and (dig this) PLENTY of available electrical outlets. The room had exceptional internal lighting (entryway, desk, and over the bed).

The air conditioner was strong and responsive. As an absolute boon (anytime, in any motel/hotel), the fan stayed running even when the compressor was off. This masked any noise that may have been coming from the halls or from outside the window. The walls between rooms are blessedly thick; I heard nothing from guests whom I knew to be there. As a consequence, I slept very well.

One side of the mattress was interesting, so I slept on the other side. Of the 3 pillows, 2 were plush and 1 was thinner, allowing a mix-&-match suitable for anyone's preference. The bed linens were new and spotless.

The bathroom was spotless. The sink area had enough counter space on which to spread out toiletries. There was no plunger in the sink (big deal). The water pressure in the sink, toilet, and shower was adequate, and superior to what one usually gets on a 3rd floor. Two bars of soap, conditioning shampoo, and plenty of plastic cups were provided. The only negative aspect concerned the towels: Two bath towels (only 1 fluffy), one hand towel, and no washcloths. I later asked the front desk for more and was told that there were no more.

The only dissatisfying aspect of my stay concerned the towels. I was never supplied more than 1 hand towel or washcloth, so I had to keep asking for extras. (I overheard other guests also requesting more towels.) Of all the linens that I got over my 3-day stay, most were thin/scratchy, and some were stained (with old make-up or similar). Every item smelled clean, certainly, but there comes a time to retire bath linens that are past their useful life. I'm also mystified by the claim that the linens were "scarce" in quantity; the local Joy Dollar store sold 2 very fluffy washcloths for a buck.

Housekeeping was excellent, unobtrusive, and not overdone (no one moved my stuff in order to clean). The front-desk staff were invariably helpful, knowledgeable, and responsive. Checkout was as slick as a whistle.

I'd last stayed in a Microtel in 2002 and had equally positive impressions. The McAllen Microtel is a credit to the Microtel chain, and I would stay here again with pleasure.

• Liked — The cleanliness was enviable, with excellent value for price paid.
  • Disliked — 90% of the bath linens are past their useful life.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Motel 6 McAllen East? Share your experiences!