“Heavenly Dogs To Die For!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #137 of 382 Restaurants in McAllen
Cuisines: Italian
Houston
“Heavenly Dogs To Die For!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I had read about this place prior to my arrival, but due to work, had not had the chance to stop by until today. Upon entering establishment, the first thing I noticed was how dark it was, which coming in from a blazing, bright sun, the dark room was welcomed with open arms.

I was seated promptly, and served my cold beverage while I still pondered over what to get, so many choices and everything sounded delicious, I knew that I had a Sonora dog in my mind but did not see it on menu. Lucky for me the owner was training a new person and was there to quickly point out recommendations, at which I am always willing to hear.

He quickly added that they can and will put any toppings that I desire, so I opted for the dog with mayo, bacon, avocados, tomatoes & requested pinto beans, which they happily obliged. Was told if I got a foot long, I can make other half a different dog, so I decided on the Chicago dog.

What I got was anything short of spectacular, for a hot dog? Yes, for a hot dog! Presentation was excellent, but the explosion of flavors blew me away. The Sonora type dog was a home run with flavors not usually associated with a hot dog, especially the mayo. Came with crispy, thick fries and a cheese empanada, which were good but my mind was on the dogs. Not to take away anything from the Chicago style hot dog, which was damn near excellent, but as I mentioned earlier the Sonora type dog is to die for. I will be back and highly recommend this wonderful eatery.

• Visited April 2012

Dickinson, Texas
“Eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012 via mobile

An unassuming little spot sandwiched between a gas station & garage, I've driven past here for years. I stopped in a few weeks back on a friend's recommendation, and all I can say is "wow!".
Huge selection of all kinds of food. The Chicago dog is authentic, as are the wonderful Italian beef sandwiches. They also have Mexican & Italian entrees. Great value, & superb service. The interior of the restaurant is cozy & comfortable. Truly a "Mom & Pop" operation--give it a try!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Surprise find in south Texas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012 via mobile

I had the Italian beef sandwich. Great flavor, moist meat, loaded full into a grilled bun. They served it with an olive and pepper mix that was perfect. The staff were freindly and attentive.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great little find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012 via mobile

Amazing family owned eatery, with a wide variety of food, not just hot dogs! But speaking of hot dogs, I'll start there, they are the best hot dogs I have ever tasted. Huge variety, from the classic Chicago to the spicy Mexican, delicious. But there's Mexican and Italian food also, the service is OUTSTANDING, very friendly, the owner goes out of his way to please you. Great value too, I highly recommend you try this place!

Edinburg, Texas
“I went here once and the owner was very friendly! The turkey dog I tried was soo good too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010