“It Was Okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in McAllen
Rockwall, Texas
“It Was Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is an older hotel, but it was pretty clean. The breakfast was ample and there was a wide selection. Apparently, this plus the price of the motel makes it popular with families. There were lots of kids and they were everywhere--including the exercise room. When I inquired about the age restrictions, the clerk said that he would boot the kids out because they were under 18.. The kids were back the next night, so I didn't bother to go in. If you like things like having white towels white, go elsewhere. The towels were all grayish. If you like fluffy toilet paper, go elsewhere. This is a motel where families can get more bang for their buck. The drawing card for us was that we took our two small dogs along and they allowed pets without charging extra. Next time we are boarding the dogs and paying more for the extra comfort. If you want breakfast, dinner, snacks and you're taking the kids and the dog, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Don't get the room with two full-sized beds. The room was small and the bathroom tiny.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed at the Drury Inn, in McAllen Texas on the first week of March 2012 with my wife and two children. If you get to register before 7 pm, you will get complimentary snacks, soda, and beer! I know many hotels that offer a happy hour (2x1), but few that offer Very Happy two hours (complimentary snacks and drinks including beer!)
Our room was very spacious, clean, and had strong WiFi signal.
The hotel is located right on Highway 83, just across the “street“ from the Medical Center. There is a Shoneys (All you can eat) dinner buffet next door that we found ok, for $6.99
You can also order pizza to your room, if you like.
This hotel has a very clean swimming pool that my children enjoyed.
The hotel also offers complimentary hot breakfast. On weekends, you have to go there early (before 8am) to secure a table, and avoid long lines. The busiest lines you will find them at the waffles station.
I recommend this place to any family traveling with children, to any business traveler, and to those people wanting to be staying close to the McAllen Medical Center.
I hope this review is helpful. Happy trails!

Room Tip: Check in by 5 pm to take advantage of the happy hours! Complimentary snacks and drinks.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

An excellent overall experience. Free wi-fi, clean rooms, attentive and friendly service, ample parking, free breakfast (with lots to choose from), free dinner (with lots to choose from and adult beverages), and late night popcorn and soda. It's like staying with the grandparents!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

The staff at Drury Inn ROCK! They go out of their way to make sure the guests are happy!

I came to the Valley due to family illness, so the trip was unexpected and stressful. I had made reservations at hotel in Edinburg checked in ...only to discover that my room was just plain nasty dirty.

My sister recommend that I call the Drury Inn and so I did. I explained to them, that I could not stay at the hotel in Edinburg. They told me to come on over and they assured me that they would find me a clean comfortable room for myself and my puppy.

I was quoted a rate similar to the other hotel. When I arrived, I was told that I was told that I was being upgraded to a suite, due to the fact that this was the only rooms left. I was given the suite at the "regular" room rate!! WOW!

The front desk staff was very kind and helpful. They told me if I needed any help with anything just to let them know. (They knew that I was in town to see my dying grandmother).

They loved my little puppy!!

The room was huge and very clean! I was very comfortable for the 5 days that I stayed with them.

They offer a fabulous...yummy... breakfast. And some sort of "happy hour" snack bar.

While I did not use the pool area, it was very clean.

They offer a small computer room and free WiFi.

Lots of grass grass around the hotel for doggie potty breaks.

I highly recommend this hotel and so does Stella, my little Chihuahua.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
oc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

I already stayed at the Pear Tree Drury which is a lower level version of the Drury ( hard to beleive it gets lower ) and was disatified the moment I walked in the place . Big turnoff. Be careful and block out this property prior to your hotel search since it;s rated much higher than what Hotwire rates it. Their policy will not allow you to change your mind once your already booked , The first night while I was typing on my computer I felt something crawling in my arm I smacked at it and discovered it was a small cockroach (gross) I gave this place the benefit of the doubt and had no choice but to get through 2 more days of this disgusting lace. The next evening when I went to grab the ice bucket I once again discovered I was not alone and had another insect companion . This time I killed it and saved it in a plastic bag that I plan to send to the Hotwire customer service Dept. . I have now returned from my awful trip and plan to complain to Hotwire but this company has a lstrict booking policy so be very careful prior to A MCAllen TX trip and do not allow this compant to book you there>

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
KimChappell, eMarketing Specialist at Drury Inn McAllen, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Thank you for the feedback. We sincerely apologize for the room conditions you describe and reassure you that we strive to provide clean and comfortable rooms for all guests at all Drury Hotels. We do have regular preventive treatments conducted in all of our guest rooms and throughout the entire hotel and will be sure to have extra service on the room that you stayed in to ensure there are no further issues. Once again, please accept our sincere apology and thank you for choosing Drury Hotels.
DFW, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

I travel to the Rio Grande Valley on a regular basis and always stay at the Drury Inn McAllen. The staff are so courteous, friendly, and helpful and greeted me by name after just my first visit with them. They made me feel welcome and at home. This hotel serves up a great breakfast every morning and even serves drinks and a light dinner after 5:00pm. The hotel is older but it is well maintained and exceptionally clean. I would definitely recommend the Drury Inn McAllen.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Tampico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

My family and I stayed there for a couple of nights. It is a decent place with no frills, clean and well located too. The room was comfortable, had LCD screen, microwave and fridge. Night shift front desk guy was very nice and helpful.
I just think the "quickstart" breakfast was really disappointing. Waffles were good, but the apple juice was so watered-down it was almost tasteless, same thing with the milk for my cereal.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
KimChappell, eMarketing Specialist at Drury Inn McAllen, responded to this review, March 20, 2009
Thanks for choosing Drury Hotels! We appreciate hearing from our guests and thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our HOT! QUIKSTART Breakfast during your stay and apologize for any inconvenience. We will share your feedback with our team to help us improve our processes to ensure that our breakfast is always a good way to start off the day for our guests. If ever during your stay you do have questions about our breakfast, we do have a Breakfast Host on staff who attends to our breakfast daily. You can speak to them right away so we can put out fresh, hot food, replenish the selection right away or answer any breakfast questions you might have. Thanks again for choosing Drury Hotels!

Been to Drury Inn McAllen? Share your experiences!