“We Love This Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 64 Restaurants in Marshall
“We Love This Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Every-time we visit Marshall, we try to make a pit stop here for our BBQ fix. We order the chopped beef sandwiches as well as a couple of pounds of sliced beef to bring back to Dallas with us. The service is always great and the meat is tender and delicious! I've tried one of the the other BBQ spots in town (large chain) and was disappointed by both the service and the food. BBQ Express is located in the middle of a neighborhood, but it's worth seeking out when you visit the Marshall area, you won't be disappointed.

Shreveport, LA
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Saw reviews on another site, not Tripadvisor, and this place had raves. Having passed this cafe several times by taking a shortcut through Marshall, I decided to stop and check it out.

Service was friendly. I had read about the wonderful lunch specials, so I asked; no lunch specials. We ordered a rib plate and a brisket plate and shared. We were in agreement that the brisket was better than the ribs. However, nothing was outstanding. Based on the reviews that sent me there, I was disappointed. The food was okay, but not outstanding,a little expensive for the quality and the quantity.

Nothing to set this place apart from the ubiquitous places that serve Q.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marshall, Texas
“Best BBQ quality in Marshall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This place is out of the way, tucked back in a neighborhood, and is a bit divey in terms of the atmosphere, but the meat is unmatched in Marshall.

We tracked the place down based on the strength of Yelp reviews and are glad we did. The owner manages all the BBQ himself, in a classic cast-iron smoker, and the menu varies a bit day-to-day, especially the soul food offerings. We tried the brisket, ribs and links, which were universally excellent. Most of the local restaurants overcook ribs so that the meat falls off the bone, so it was refreshing to find a place that cooks them just right, with a little bit of bite to them. The bark on all the meat was fantastic, and the meats all come lightly pre-sauced rather than served with sauce on the table. Honestly, I was dubious when I saw that because barbecue so often requires heavier saucing to mask deficiencies in the meat quality or smoke. In this case, it turned out for the best as the light sauce highlighted the sheer quality of the product.

We had beans, potato salad and deviled eggs for sides. All were delicious, but the beans could have been more strongly seasoned.

Overall, this place is a must-visit in Marshall, and you will not be disappointed.

• Visited April 2014
Las Vegas
“Fall off the bone tender!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

We were traveling south on 59 through Marshall, Texas. As always I checked for restaurants online. So we decided to try BBQ Express. Well my husband is a rib expert and he is full and happy! He had their rib plate and said that the ribs were definitely a "10"! The ribs were moist, fall off the bone, and had a smoked flavor to die for. I would have been happy with him saying just that about the food but he also raved about their corn bread, collard greens & gumbo! I had just their brisket sandwich. I don't like over eating - especially when you're on a road trip! The brisket was tender and very flavorful. I couldn't finish it but my husband did! All we have to say is homemade heaven!!! Thanks BBQ Express! We will be back!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Plantersville, Texas
“Real Deal BBQ in Marshall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

After seeing the reviews on Yelp and Urbanspoon, I decided to give this bastion of bbq goodness a visit. As with all BBQ visits, I tried a sample of all of the available meats and didn't waste time on sides-- for me, it is all about the meat! The brisket was moist and tender with great bark and smoke ring-- the pitmaster uses hickory and cherry, so the flavor is not overpowering. The ribs were perfectly cooked and complemented with a favorful, but not too sweet spicy BBQ sauce-- I found the mild sauce too sweet for my taste. The sausage, for me, was the star of the show-- I was fully prepared not to like it, because it's texture was too fine-- more like knackwurst than my preferred kielbasa. The taste, however, won me over-- it is very well seasoned. They also have Pittsburg hot links that are very good, but not too spicy.
The bldg looks like a typical BBQ shack, but is nice inside with room to sit and enjoy the food. They are extremely friendly and helpful and willing to answer questions and "talk" BBQ-- they have plate lunch specials that are highly rated, but I didn't sample them-- I will be back to try them, however! This is the best overall BBQ joint east of Lockhart-- it is only three blocks off of US 59 and just a short drive off I 20, so do yourself a favor and stop in for lunch!

• Visited September 2013