“Loved my stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Marshall
Clio, Michigan
“Loved my stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

The road to the hotel has recently changed so you may drive past the road think you're getting on the highway. Once we turned around and got to the hotel, the kids loved the great outdoor pool that was clean and just the right temp. Rooms were clean, breakfast was the best of a H.I. Express I've ever had. The staff actually served us everything from the breakfast buffet and helped get food/drinks for our kids! Entire staff was great and the faciltiy was 99%. My only concern was a broken piece on the bottom of the bed that caused a pretty severe injury but they took care of it right away.

Room Tip: The street to the hotel is actually the old entrance ramp/serviceroad to the highway...Kindof easy t...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
PatrickH0287, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marshall, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! Sorry you got turned around getting to the hotel, that interchange can be a little tricky the first time and we appreciate you leaving the "tip" for future guests. I have shared your comments with the staff. Our housekeeping and breakfast bar staff were all very excited to hear your kind words. James, our Chief Engineer, was also glad that you enjoyed the pool. Most of all we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you back sometime soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience, feedback is always welcome but positive feedback makes our day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Edmond, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We checked in on Saturday, September 3, 2011 and even though we requested a lower floor room when we made our reservation, because my son has cerebral palsy, we were given a 3rd floor room. They say that it is a suite but it is simply one room with 2 beds and a couch. Through the connecting door we were able to enjoy the endless screaming and banging from the room next to us until after 11pm and we were ever so gently woken up by the screaming and banging and slamming doors of the sweet folks in the room next to us.
My son and I took the elevator to the first floor to enjoy some of the complimentary hot breakfast. There was a machine that made bad pancakes and a tray of biscuits and gravy. The eggs, sausage and bacon did not appear for the 2 hours that we were there. The woman who was attending the breakfast buffet just kept saying not yet when asked when the eggs and sausage and bacon would appear. You may be wondering why my son and I were in the breakfast room for over 2 hours? Well, it was the only place to sit and wait for the now broken elevator to be fixed. You may remember that I mentioned that even though I asked for a lower floor room because my son is disabled I did not get that room but one on the 3rd floor, which we could not return to since my son cannot walk up 3 flights of stairs. The manager also proceeded to tell me that the elevator (that's right, just one elevator) had been getting stuck all morning. If the elevator had been having problems all morning why did she wait until I complained about it not working to call the repairman?
We waited over an hour, unable to get upstairs to our room so my wonderful husband, 65 years old, with diabetes and vision problems, packed our luggage and brought most of it downstairs. He went to the car with my son and I walked up 3 flights and got the rest of our things, heavy things, and brought them downstairs and to the car. No help from anyone at the hotel.
It was a nightmare from start to finish. It was our first stay in a Holiday Inn and will be our last.

Room Tip: Use a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
South Deerfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

The hotel was clean, friendly service and wonderful clean salt water pool. The only items I can fault the hotel with is the noise level. I agree with the other guest the interior noise level was very annoying making it hard to fall asleep. We were on the second floor I could hear people in the halls , even toilets flushing, doors opening and closing along with hearing people talking. The location they can't be faulted for we were very aware I-20 was right next to the hotel so we expected traffic noise. With that said we have been at other hotels next to high traffic roads and it has been barely noticeable. My guess is it's the actual building itself that must not have any type of sound insulation.

• Stayed July 2011
fort worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed here on a Sunday. Upon check in I told the desk clerk I had a voucher for 1000 points for signing up on hie club. I was new to this and had no clue what it was. I asked her and she simply handed me a brochure, no explanation or anything. Ok thanks.
From 8pm to 1am there was a large group of people just outside of our room. The people were drinking copius amounts of beer. Clacking around the bottles. And their children running around yelling. This prompted 3 phone calls to the front desk. Curfew for the pool was 10pm. Her response each time was I will tell them to quiet down and each time they would get loud again. Why could she have not just sent them back to their room? But nope. We had to listen to them til early morning.
Our room was nice, but was not clean completely. On the floor near the bed was a toenail. In the bathroom on the floor was a dead fly and makeup shavings on the floor from eyeliner.
Breakfast was ok. Pancake machine was broken, just our luck. But the lady working at the breakfast was extremely nice and jovial and went above and beyond tending to our needs. I love holiday inn express but this place kinda blows

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I didn't care for the satelite TV. About 30 channels available and 9 were ESPN. They had 2 HBO channels (one HD) and was told they were supposed to show the same channel but they didn't. I had a hard time trying to figure out what to watch as the HBO guide didn't always correspond with what was on the channel.
Also didn't care for the location being next to a truck stop and having to deal with numerous 18 wheelers coming/going and blocking quick access to/from the hotel.
The hotel staff was the friendliest I've ever encountered. The wireless internet was excellent.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I always stay at Holiday Inn Expresses when I travel. I am often driving long distances, and I will split my trip into two days, so it is important to me that I am able to sleep. Normally, I love any HIE, but this was not a night of peaceful sleep. As everyone else has commented, the walls are paper thin. As I was getting ready for bed I could hear the man in the room next to me talking on the phone to his little girl (she was on speaker phone, and I could hear every word they were saying). It was like he was in the room with me. I was able to fall asleep, but I was woken up by snoring in the room next to me. Also, the guy at the front desk was talking on the phone, and I could hear every word he was saying. Finally at 1am I went to the front desk to ask to be moved to a room on a different floor. The man at the front desk was polite and did move me to a different room, but he never apologized or even got off the phone while I was talking with him. I was finally able to fall asleep after moving rooms. Besides the terrible noise problem the hotel was very nice. The breakfast was very good. The woman who checked me in and out was very nice and much more professional than the man I had talked with the night before. The rooms were clean. Some reviews have said the beds were hard, but I did not notice. I would recommend this hotel only for someone who is not a light sleeper.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Manalapan, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

Overall, I thought the hotel was pretty good for the area it was in. The rooms were clean, furnishings were nice, decent lighting in rooms and a fair sized bathroom.

There area few major issues. First, the WiFi internet sucked. Ver very slow and usually there was no bandwith to use.

Second, on one trip I had a room facing the highway. You will hear it all night. It did not bother me, but I could see it annoying a lot of people.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
PatrickH0287, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marshall, responded to this review, February 13, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with us, your feedback is immensely important to us. We always strive to provide the best service possible for our guests, however, as you mention, the WiFi at the hotel has been lacking and management has been aware of the issue. In today's world a slow or unreliable internet connection is simply unacceptable, especially to a business traveler.

I am happy to report that at the end of January we enhanced our guest internet circuit from 1.5Mbps to a full 8Mbps, to allow for greater speed and reliability.

From the information in your review it is not clear whether your stay with us was pre or post upgrade however if your stay was prior to this, you should find the internet much more to your liking if you should return to Marshall. If by chance your stay was post upgrade, I would encourage you to please contact me directly so that we might determine if any further enhancements are needed.

Thank you so much again for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
Safe travels.

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marshall? Share your experiences!