“Pretty good; try it out.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 21 Restaurants in Marfa
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Located 4 doors west of the only red light intersection in Marfa . Look for the courtyard with trees lit up in the patio. Across from Roy's automotive.
Sarasota, Florida
“Pretty good; try it out.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I'll start with the negatives. We had a reservation, and it took about five minutes to seat us because the host took us to the wrong table. Then another person came and said she would need to move us, and it took another few moments to figure out exactly where to move us too. This is rather insignificant, but it was frustrating enough for me to note it. Also the toilet in the restroom was dirty.

The service was ok. Our waiter was nice enough, though sometimes seemed a tad aloof.

The food was really good. The portions are sharing-plate size, so we had the opportunity to order nearly everything among the 4 of us. The drinks were spot on and good sizes, too. And for a very good meal with a good atmosphere, I didn't think the price was too bad.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Houston, Texas
“Excellent meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is an excellent, if a bit spendy, restaurant. Very nice atmosphere in the small space.
Food was amazing. There's just no other word for it.
The only reason it gets a four rather than a five is that we had called in the afternoon to make a reservation for 7PM. At that time, you were requested to leave a message with the details of your res and a phone number. Done. We decided around 6PM to go by and see if there were any openings earlier and were told they were full and that, "no, we don't have your reservation and we didn't call you back because there weren't any tables available". Well, ummm... It seems like a simple call to confirm or deny the res would not be too much to ask.
In the end, we were offered a place at the bar for dinner. It wasn't as comfortable as a table would have been but the food mostly made up for it.
We'd definitely go back...and WILL. Just make the res with a live person because you cannot expect them to get back to you if you just leave the message (as they ask).

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Matagorda, Texas
“Put this restaurant on your "must do" list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Had the opportunity to eat at Cochineal Restaurant in Marfa, Tx recently. The food was outstanding, the service impeccable, the wine list extensive, and the atmosphere superb! What else can I say. Be sure to have a reservation because the restaurant is quite small.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“Swanky little place in the desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Thanks to the reviews on TripAdvisor, I knew to make our dinner reservations a few days in advance of our arrival in Marfa at Cochineal.

This place reminded me of some of the swanky foodie places here in Dallas. The challenge here was I'm the foodie, while my husband is not, he's a bit picky and much simpler.

On a Saturday night, we arrived for our 9 pm reservation (after hiking at Big Bend) and were seated at a kitchen area table where we could watch the chefs do their thing.

We ordered cocktails: me a Pink Russian (made with vodka and grapefruit juice) and my husband got an Old Fashioned tequila with Reposado, an orange twist, agave, etc. The thing that impressed my husband was the drink was served "on the rock"-- just one large ice cube instead of many to keep it all from melting at once and watering down the drink.

We ordered the bread with rosemary garlic butter, which was delicious. It's not complimentary, but you pay only $2 fee for that. It was worthwhile. Water is served from a carafe at your table.

Our salads were phenomenal: I had a nectarine salad with frisee, fennel, maple pecans, and locally grown sprouts. Husband was raving about his Caesar salad-- it had roasted bell peppers and a great dressing; not your typical Caesar salad at all.

And because we weren't hungry enough to eat our own entree, we split the pork tenderloin and the staff was kind enough to let us substitute sauteed spinach instead of Brussels sprouts. For the price, I think there could have been more pizzazz or portion to the pork tenderloin. But it was good.

And for dessert, we had to order the renowned date bread pudding. My husband was skeptical-- he likes neither dates nor bread pudding. But this was phenomenal, and hubby loved it. And the caramel sauce. Oh my gosh... so good.

Overall, the presentation of the food was also excellent and obviously done with thought. When we got up to leave, the chefs actually thanked us for coming and said goodbye. What a neat dining experience in little Marfa, thank you Cochineal.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“AMAZING Food! Blah service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The food was excellent!!!!! The staff was less than perfect but it was very busy that night and maybe they are all overwhelmed. We got a few of the small plates and the risotto was the best I have ever had! If you're there on a weekend call in advance for a reservation, we ended up sitting at the bar which was just as good. All the other plates we sampled were just as wonderful. Highly recommended.

Visited February 2013