“Comfy beds, beautiful grounds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marathon Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marathon
Marathon Motel
You added Marathon Motel to your Saves list
W. Highway 90, Marathon, TX 79842   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
Katy, Texas
“Comfy beds, beautiful grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

LOVED it!!! We had the best sleep ever in the most luxurious beds! We were heading to Big Bend National Park and the plan was to leave before 6 am. We ended up leaving at 9 am because the beds were too comfy!! I wished we had had the time to use the courtyard with the fireplace!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Midland, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I purchased a gift certificate that a benefactor had donated for a local charity fundraiser. I paid over $300 for a two nite stay at this place. The write up at the auction showed the picturesque courtyard. Upon arriving we went to our room and it was freezing cold and the heater did not work. BEFORE LUNCH we stopped by the office and told the clerk about the problem. No problem, she would get someone to light the pilot on the wall heater. We return at 8:45 PM to a FREEZING COLD ROOM in the 40's! We could tell the heater was on because it was humming but the thermostat was turned down all the way. We turned up the thermostat and waited 10-15 minutes and there was no change in temp and no evidence of heat coming from the wall furnace. Being concerned about getting CO poisoning we turned the thermostat back down and donned extra thick socks and our clothes to go to bed.
The next morning I had a missed call on my cell phone from a strange number around 9:30 PM the prior evening. It was the manager of the hotel stating that we could come and get a key and move to the room next door. REALLY? WHY DIDN'T YOU LEAVE US A NOTE IN THE ROOM OR ON THE DOOR OR COME AND KNOCK ON THE DOOR WHEN YOU DIDN'T REACH US ON THE CELL PHONE? You had about 10 hours to do all of this before we got back. It didn't look like you had a sell out so you couldn't have been that busy! I had a horrible earache and I couldn't take a shower because I didn't want to get sicker from stepping out of the shower into a 40 something degree room. Needless to say, I forked out over $300+ for a horrible experience and cut my trip short a day to go back home sick COMPLIMENTS OF THE MARATHON MOTEL!

The good end to this story is that I supported a good cause with my $300+ donation, but I will let the charity and the benefactor know not to purchase anymore gift certificates from this establishment.

Room Tip: Go to the Gage Hotel or KEEP GOING TOWARD ALPINE...you will be glad you did!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel S, Owner at Marathon Motel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I would initially like to extend an apology for your uncomfortable stay. Guest comfort is always paramount. In the 12 years I've been operating the Marathon Motel, which by the way has been in continuous operation for 70 years, this has been by far above and beyond the worst experience. Things do happen as with any accommodation and we do try to make every effort to remedy them in a timely manner.
After carefully reviewing your description as well as that of the front desk staff, I concluded, every attempt was made to repair the heater. However, a part was required which had to be ordered. Therefore we made arrangements to move you to the room next door. Attempts were made to contact you by cell, however, I will admit, we generally make an attempt to leave a note on the door, and for failing to do so, I do apologize. It is often times quite difficult for a front desk person to step away due to phone calls, check-ins and other requests, they can get side tracked etc. However, even with a note, it would have required you to come to the office.
Now, you stated in your review you arrived back at your room around 8:45PM to a freezing cold room. Tried the heater which clearly was not working, so with the concern of CO poisoning, turned it off, donned extra thick socks and clothes and went to bed. That was a choice made by you. There was a message on your cell, at 9:30 PM which was the last attempt to contact you, the front desk is open until 10:00PM, our phone numbers are listed on your receipt, in addition there are after hours/emergency numbers on the door. When asked the next day by the front desk person why you didn't just come to the office, you stated, "You Didn't Think it was Open". Had you just stopped in as you drove past the office, or upon realizing there was a situation, returned to the office, you would have been handed the key to your replacement room.
Due to the uniqueness of this situation, I have had a meeting with the staff as to how we can be more proactive in preventing something like this in the future.
Again, on behalf of the motel and myself, I do apologize for the discomfort and inconvenience you may have experienced on our part. I would suggest however, in the future, if you find yourself in a similar or unacceptable situation, it is helpful to notify someone before things disintegrate in order to get the situation remedied.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were headed for Big Bend with no reserved place to stay for the night. We figured we would "wing it," and find something along the way. I am really glad we did! We "happened" upon the Marathon Motel and thought we'd take a chance. What a beautiful experience!
We stayed in Cabin # 4. It is "older," furbished, nothing modern, but clean, workable, quaint and necessary for the atmosphere.
The beds were very, very comfortable (the best we have ever slept in).
The Courtyard is surrounded by an adobe wall with a fountain and green grass with astounding views of the surrounding mountains. There is a large outdoor fireplace and room for many people, but it was just Johanna & I and a Biker from Utah. It was a really relaxing, very enjoyable evening as we watched the sun set behind the majestic mountains.
We were awoken once around 3:30 by a passing train, but fell quickly back to sleep.
We missed not having a refrigerator and microwave in the room, but again not really necessary.

Room Tip: Our Cabin (# 4) was very nice. I imagine they are all pretty much the same.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Clifton, Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

We loved our room and its location. A little high on the price for type of room

The taxes were outrageous. We were charged over 22% taxes for this small rural town (over 14%) & state (8.25%) ! We will be contesting the rates charged. Nowhere was this info communicated to us before or during check in.

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Unexpected quaint little gem. This motel featured beautiful grounds with lots of birds. The rooms were very clean with new beds and great linnens. The decor was 50s style western. There was a train that ran at night, but it just added to the remote charm. We would definitely stay again. Much less expensive than the Gage, and the rooms were just as good.

• Stayed July 2012
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Motorcycle friendly, clean tidy rooms, friendly staff, awesome sleepy town. Paid about $110 for a double. The trains passing though town at all hours kept me up for a bit before surrending to sleep. Earplugs provided by motel. This place offers standard rooms, camp sites and RV hookups.

• Stayed May 2012
NM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

This was my second time staying at this motel/rv park. The units are great, recently renovated. I was going to give this place a glowing review until I received a phone call about a half hour after I had checked out informing me they were charging me an additional $15 for having a pet. When you check in there is a prominent framed notice that pets are welcome. I was not asked about a pet. The lady who called me said the room was in great shape, etc. The room charges were $70 + taxes. I could see being charged for the pet if the room was $40. This was my second time staying there and will be my last. Marathon is a dying town and if it were not for it being the "last stop" before Big Bend National Park, who knows if it would not succumb to its pricing illness - "We're the only game in town, so pay us top dollar." The Gage Hotel is a historical hotel and it is even worse on pricing. I will check out the B&Bs or probably camp somewhere the next time.

Room Tip: Wherever you stay in town you will deal with the noise of trains as they come through. This motel pu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Daniel S, Owner at Marathon Motel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
First, I do appreciate your compliments of the motel. It is an ongoing project and has come along way since its opening in 1940.
We used to be pet friendly until some of our guests decided to relax their responsibilities for their pets and we started to incur damages as a result. We are considering relaxing our pet policy as many people do travel with pets. Often times people with pet allergies check-in behind a pet thereby requiring a room change. It was the additional cleaning charge you incurred. We are in the process of determining ways to compensate in order to accommodate travelers with pets and avoid any additional charges.
You stated this had been your second trip out, and again, thank you for your patronage.
Not sure when the previous time was, but this review you stated no one asked you about a pet. There are actually two signs on the wall, one for the motel guests and one for our RV guests. The motel states check-out times, no cooking and NO pets, the RV sign asks to keep your pet on a leash, and to pick up after your pet. I will admit, that can be confusing, however, upon check-in, you are asked to initial not only our No Smoking policy, but our Pet Policy as well which is located on your receipt. Our pet policy states you agree to charges of $100.00 if any damage is incurred by your pet.
So, you did initial the policies, therefore you had to have known about the no pet rule for motel guests.
I do apologize for any confusion, but initialing the policies makes it as clear as we can.
I hope you reconsider your decision, and should you do, we'll make every attempt to accommodate your friend.

Been to Marathon Motel? Share your experiences!