“Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #32 of 55 hotels in Lubbock
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We scheduled a visit to Lubbock to see a football game and our grandson. Unfortunately we waited too late to get a reservation at the hotel where we had stayed on a previous visit. As a matter of fact, it seemed as though all hotels were booked for Nov. 9th. All, that is, but this one. We made our reservations but after reading the negative reviews I was very concerned about what our accommodations would be like. We were pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is an older hotel but we found it quite comfortable. It was clean and quiet. The rooms were big and quite comfortable. The carpets, draperies and bedding all looked family new. The staff was friendly and eager to please. The location on the loop made it easy to get to wherever we wanted to go in Lubbock. We had two rooms on different floors, one a king and the other a double queen. We were in rooms facing inside which I would recommend. One suggestion I would make is to have a frig and microwave in every room. Our daughter and son-in-law had a frig, but we had neither. Upon leaving, we all agreed that we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
We thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We truly appreciate the compliments and hope to see you again soon. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services, and the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to celebrate service and show appreciation to our staff.

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Holy 80's Batman! Holiday Inn needs to sink some serious renovation money into this one! Dated decor, dated layout, dated rooms. The center domed area looked like it had a pool at one time but is now one large carpeted area with a tired hotel bar.

Bad stuff: previously mentioned decor and questionable housecleaning. When I pulled the bed apart to check for "you know whats" I found several years of other peoples' hair and dirt on the top edge of the box spring, under the headboard. (Total gross out.)

Good stuff: Lady at the desk was nice, as was the lady who was working at the breakfast buffet. I was able to get in and out quickly and the food selection was good.

The hotel choices in Lubbock are pretty limited but I am afraid this one is a pass for me next time in town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
We would like to thank you for staying with us and for your comments on TripAdvisor. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services. We will definitely look into the issues with your room. We are striving to improve our services and our product, so issues like yours do not occur for our future guests. Thank you for your comments, we hope we can serve you again, and give you a better experience.
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Due to other Holiday Inn closing I ended up here so I could get by Priority Club points. When I checked in I realized this was originally a Holidome. I had stayed here in the early '80's. Front desk staff was courteous and friendly. Not upgrades to to Texas Tech team staying here. Coaches get those rooms. Dined in restaurant Friday night. Rib Eye, mixed vegetable and baked potato was very good. Service could have been a little more attentive. $174 for a FB weekend wasn't bad price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
We thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We truly appreciate your comments and hope to see you again soon. We like to celebrate our employees and our services, so it is always important for us to know how we are doing. We hope to see you again soon.
Amarillo, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We also stayed in Room 120 and I am happy to say that we had no problem with it being haunted. It is a smoking room and there were no ashtrays in the room. The room was clean but It is very dated with dim lighting. This is an outside room with the highway in front of it and you get a lot of highway noise at night. We were woke up by sirens more than once. Also, the a/c compressor kicks on and off constantly and is very very noisy, enough to wake you up. I do not feel like it is worth the amount charged for the room, we have stayed in a lot nicer rooms for less money. The bed was comfortable and plenty of pillows. Check in and out was quick and easy. We will not stay again because it is overpriced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We would like to thank you for staying with us and for your comments on TripAdvisor. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services. We are striving to improve our services and our product, so issues like yours do not occur for our future guests. Thank you for your comments, we hope we can serve you again, and give you a better experience.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

A room was booked only for one night. Granted, as it was a smoking room, I believed it would have been a little below par compared to a non-smoking room. However, it was extremely out dated and no ash trays were present. Stray hairs were abundant, especially in the shower. The walls and lighting were dingy and the bathroom tiles looked ready to fall off the walls. I had the weird feeling I was being watched the entire time I was there. After I arrived back at the hotel around midnight, the foreboding present was even more prevalent. Completely sober and as a usual skeptic of this sort of happening, I felt a hand on my shoulder with a shove behind it. My boyfriend had the exact same thing happen as soon as we got into our room, but didn't tell me as to not scare me to death. Needless to say, we packed our bags and didn't even chance staying in the room for another minute, and drove the 2 hours home at 2 a.m. The next day a $20 charge was put on my card with no explanation. The room looked exactly as we found it since we were only there a short time and both keys were left in the room, so I'm assuming a haunted room costs extra.

• Stayed October 2013
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.
McGregor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed there this weekend 9/20 - 9/22 for the game and to tour the campus. I will not stay at this hotel ever again. It is extremely out dated and the rates compare to what I expect to pay in New York. You do not get what you pay for. They may have been sold out and they may have you on supply and demand, but if I ever come back to Lubbock I will not stay at this hotel. I don’t know how leadership can go to sleep at night knowing the value that they are providing their guest.

Room Tip: I can’t give a positive tip
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We are deeply sorry that you found some aspects of the Holiday Inn Park Plaza less than satisfactory, but we are in fact a hotel with interior and exterior rooms available, as well as a host of services that you would find at any Holiday Inn or full service property. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services, and the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, in this instance it appears you had a problem with your guest room door. We welcome all opportunities to improve, and definitely apologize for the issues you discussed above; we will look into them. We are striving to improve our services and our product, so issues like yours do not occur for our future guests. Thank you for your comments, we hope we can serve you again, and give you a better experience.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

That's how many cockroaches I saw while I stayed there this week. One in my room and others just running around in the atrium. I went with 3 other coworkers, 2 of them found a cockroach in their room. I literally have look at the floor while I walk, the one time I didn't I stepped on one. They're not even the little ones, they're the big brown/black ones with wings.

As if that's not bad enough, the walls are paper thin. I can hear my neighbor's TV and their conversations the whole night.

Also, I requested late check out at 2 pm for the last day the night before. Exactly at Noon, someone came knock loudly at my door asking me to check out, and then came a phone call from front desk, an hour later at 1 pm, housekeeping knocked on my door (even though I had the do not distrub sign on). What's the point of asking for late check out if they won't let you sleep?

Room Tip: Stay away from this cockroach infested hotel!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We are deeply sorry that you found some aspects of the Holiday Inn Park Plaza less than satisfactory. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services, and the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, in this instance it appears you had a problem with roaches, the keys malfunctioning and noise from neighboring guests. First let us address the roaches, by stating that we do have monthly pest control services contracted with EcoLab and were treated just before your arrival. The black bugs that are seen around the hotel are water bugs and from what I have seen are dying or dead in most circumstances. Second, we have been having issues with a new set of key cards that were recently purchased and we are working with the supplier to work that out. Third, most of our rooms have connecting doors and depending on the individuals, it has been experienced where you can hear your neighbor. We welcome all opportunities to improve, and definitely apologize for the issues discussed above; we will look into them further. We are striving to improve our services and our product, so issues like yours do not occur for our future guests.

Been to Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza? Share your experiences!