“Room is to pricey” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 56 hotels in Lubbock
Amarillo, Texas
“Room is to pricey”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We also stayed in Room 120 and I am happy to say that we had no problem with it being haunted. It is a smoking room and there were no ashtrays in the room. The room was clean but It is very dated with dim lighting. This is an outside room with the highway in front of it and you get a lot of highway noise at night. We were woke up by sirens more than once. Also, the a/c compressor kicks on and off constantly and is very very noisy, enough to wake you up. I do not feel like it is worth the amount charged for the room, we have stayed in a lot nicer rooms for less money. The bed was comfortable and plenty of pillows. Check in and out was quick and easy. We will not stay again because it is overpriced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We would like to thank you for staying with us and for your comments on TripAdvisor. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services. We are striving to improve our services and our product, so issues like yours do not occur for our future guests. Thank you for your comments, we hope we can serve you again, and give you a better experience.

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

A room was booked only for one night. Granted, as it was a smoking room, I believed it would have been a little below par compared to a non-smoking room. However, it was extremely out dated and no ash trays were present. Stray hairs were abundant, especially in the shower. The walls and lighting were dingy and the bathroom tiles looked ready to fall off the walls. I had the weird feeling I was being watched the entire time I was there. After I arrived back at the hotel around midnight, the foreboding present was even more prevalent. Completely sober and as a usual skeptic of this sort of happening, I felt a hand on my shoulder with a shove behind it. My boyfriend had the exact same thing happen as soon as we got into our room, but didn't tell me as to not scare me to death. Needless to say, we packed our bags and didn't even chance staying in the room for another minute, and drove the 2 hours home at 2 a.m. The next day a $20 charge was put on my card with no explanation. The room looked exactly as we found it since we were only there a short time and both keys were left in the room, so I'm assuming a haunted room costs extra.

• Stayed October 2013
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.
McGregor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed there this weekend 9/20 - 9/22 for the game and to tour the campus. I will not stay at this hotel ever again. It is extremely out dated and the rates compare to what I expect to pay in New York. You do not get what you pay for. They may have been sold out and they may have you on supply and demand, but if I ever come back to Lubbock I will not stay at this hotel. I don’t know how leadership can go to sleep at night knowing the value that they are providing their guest.

Room Tip: I can’t give a positive tip
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We are deeply sorry that you found some aspects of the Holiday Inn Park Plaza less than satisfactory, but we are in fact a hotel with interior and exterior rooms available, as well as a host of services that you would find at any Holiday Inn or full service property. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services, and the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, in this instance it appears you had a problem with your guest room door. We welcome all opportunities to improve, and definitely apologize for the issues you discussed above; we will look into them. We are striving to improve our services and our product, so issues like yours do not occur for our future guests. Thank you for your comments, we hope we can serve you again, and give you a better experience.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

That's how many cockroaches I saw while I stayed there this week. One in my room and others just running around in the atrium. I went with 3 other coworkers, 2 of them found a cockroach in their room. I literally have look at the floor while I walk, the one time I didn't I stepped on one. They're not even the little ones, they're the big brown/black ones with wings.

As if that's not bad enough, the walls are paper thin. I can hear my neighbor's TV and their conversations the whole night.

Also, I requested late check out at 2 pm for the last day the night before. Exactly at Noon, someone came knock loudly at my door asking me to check out, and then came a phone call from front desk, an hour later at 1 pm, housekeeping knocked on my door (even though I had the do not distrub sign on). What's the point of asking for late check out if they won't let you sleep?

Room Tip: Stay away from this cockroach infested hotel!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We are deeply sorry that you found some aspects of the Holiday Inn Park Plaza less than satisfactory. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services, and the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, in this instance it appears you had a problem with roaches, the keys malfunctioning and noise from neighboring guests. First let us address the roaches, by stating that we do have monthly pest control services contracted with EcoLab and were treated just before your arrival. The black bugs that are seen around the hotel are water bugs and from what I have seen are dying or dead in most circumstances. Second, we have been having issues with a new set of key cards that were recently purchased and we are working with the supplier to work that out. Third, most of our rooms have connecting doors and depending on the individuals, it has been experienced where you can hear your neighbor. We welcome all opportunities to improve, and definitely apologize for the issues discussed above; we will look into them further. We are striving to improve our services and our product, so issues like yours do not occur for our future guests.
Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I came to Lubbock for a football game, and wanted to stay close to the stadium but not that close. The location was perfect for just that. We arrived & check-in was very smooth. When we got to are room it was clean....but let's just say this hotel reminds you of your Granny's house it's old & outdated but still clean. The linen was fresh & new. The lighting sucks especially in the bathroom it was a dull yellow tint. The breakfast buffet was compliment since are original room wasn't ready. The buffet is a step up from McDonald's but nothing special the host was friendly though. Had a good nights rest. Overall, Good place to stay for a day or two.The pictures must be from when they first opened.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Snyder, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I booked here through Expedia which I normally do. Was late checking into the room because I went straight to my training which was held at the hotel. When I finally made it to the room, I passed dogs barking at me from other rooms which didn't bode well: I NEVER want to stay in an animal room, ever. But that is what I got. It was an outside room which meant that every person who stayed up all night walking around, included me in their adventures. I mentioned the animal room the next morning to the front desk & she said that her manager told her the very day before that whoever books online, will get what is booked by the company, no matter what that is. I've never had this happen before & will not go back to this Holiday Inn. The front desk attendant was also not happy with her manager!

Room Tip: no tips, sorry!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Brian Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
First, we would like to thank you for your comments and for staying with us here at the Holiday Inn Park Plaza. Second, there are many variables that can effect the availability of a room option with us. 50% of our rooms are of the type where you do have an exterior entry that allows many travelers to park directly in front of their rooms, and these are also the rooms that we state are pet friendly. I apologize, if while booking online you were not given an option to book the second option for our hotel, which is the interior or atrium entry rooms. In most cirumstances we will make arrangements to meet requests for room location changes, as long as they are available. As for noise and other guests, I will apologize to you for their behavior and let you know we do patrol the exterior areas to keep such guests as manageable as possible. The attitude of my staff was also unacceptable and will be addressed. Again, thank you for staying and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in every way.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a clean hotel, not fancy. The rooms are very large, an older hotel but updated with nice linens and comfortable bed. Our king, non-smoking room was cleaned every day and fresh towels supplied. The buffet breakfast had great waffles and biscuits with gravy/sausage. Our request for a room away from the pool, elevators and highway noise was granted. Flat screen TV and sitting area. Location was convenient and great restaurants close by: Texas Land & Cattle, Buns Across Texas were good finds.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the pool and elevators and that was away from the Highway. We had no n...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We truly appreciate such nice comments and hope to see you again soon. Without comments like yours we would not have the opportunity to improve upon our services, and the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to celebrate service and show appreciation to our staff.

Been to Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza? Share your experiences!