“Great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 56 Hotels in Lubbock
Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

Definitely the best kept secret in Lubbock- if you want a fancy hotel experience, then this is not the hotel for you. But if you're a parent that needs a convenient location, friendly staff, clean and spacious rooms, free breakfast and free computer in lobby to check email, etc for a VERY reasonable price, this is the place! I will never stay anywhere else- I fear it will become more known. I hope they don't raise prices because that is part of the appeal- it's so reasonable. I've stayed at La Quinta 3 or 4 times visiting my daughter and it's fine, but musty and not as warm and cozy and more expensive. This place is perfect for a night or two stay.

• Liked — location, cleanliness, price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

We came to Lubbock for Texas Tech graduation this past weekend. My sister in law booked our rooms over the phone, and was promised a $60 rate for three rooms--2 for one night, and 1 for 2 nights. We picked this hotel because it was affordable and close to the United Spirit Arena. I was also pleasantly surprised by the fact that they have free wireless internet in the rooms. Our one-night stay was relatively uneventful, if less than stellar. The check-in and check-out procedure was lengthy and tedious, due to the fact that there was only one computer on a heavy check-in/out day, and the computer was necessary to open/close accounts. The beds were uncomfortable--the mattresses were old and unsupportive to the point that we rolled to the center of the bed or rolled right off the edge, and the sheets were too small. They came untucked during the night, and despite efforts to correct the problem, we were sleeping directly on the mattress by the time we got up. The carpet in one of our rooms had a stain on the floor that didn't look like there had been any attempt to clean it up. When we settled our account, we realized a discrepancy in our rate and brought it up to the desk clerk. They charged us a higher rate for 2 of our rooms. She said that because of graduation, the rate was higher. My sister in law countered with the fact that we were quoted a rate of $60/night and not told of any difference in the rate for that weekend. She had the name of the person she talked to, the date/time of the call as well as the stay, confirmation number, etc. very well documented. The clerk firmly stated their policy states that Tech weekends are higher rates, no matter what we were told by hotel staff. We moved on, unhappily, from the desk into the lobby--less than 5 feet away. The desk clerk then proceeded to complain about our issue in a condescending manner to the housekeeping person who was standing with her at the desk, while we were still well within earshot. There were several other guests in the lobby and around the desk at this time too. Not not only did they not honor the rate we were quoted, but our situation was discussed in an uncomplimentary manner in front of other guests and staff! All told, the situation was handled very unprofessionally. We will not stay in that hotel again, nor will we recommend it to anyone staying in Lubbock.

• Liked — free wireless internet in the rooms
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GHIManager, General Manager at Guesthouse Inn & Extended Stay Suites, responded to this review, January 30, 2010
Response - January 2010
As the new General Manager of this property, one of my first tasks was to read the many reviews such as seen here at every site I could locate. Noting so many were aged as far back as 2006, I talked with Trip Advisor. They suggested I put this update in. So please take this as comments from the GM and not a negative or positive and definitely not a fake review.

In the 8 months I have been GM of this property I have revamped customer service by the staff, have taken the hotel non-smoking and eliminated the 'bad rooms' referenced in one comment. New hotel software now controls our reservation systems. We are now under renovation to bring the hotel to a more appropriate look befitting our motto "There is no place like home...but we're close." As a hands on GM I want to ensure all our guests are happy with their accommodations and ecstatic about our customer service. Will we please everyone? No, perhaps not but I personally visit with every guest I can and I actively seek through comment cards, polls and personal contact all feedback, positive or negative. If it is positive I want to keep doing it. IF IT IS NEGATIVE I want that resolved before a guest leaves my hotel.

We have already begun replacing our rooms with new bright and colorful quits, comforters, pictures, and drapes. We will continue enhancing the rooms the halls, breakfast area and lobby with a 'bed and breakfast look and feel'. I urge you as guests of this hotel or ANY hotel you choose to stay in, do not leave unhappy. GO TO THE GM. As GM my door is always open to you. My staff is challenged with ensuring all issues are resolved to a guest's satisfaction. I will not insult you with customer comments that you have no proof of their validity . I can tell you that in 6 months my staff and I have brought great improvements to our property and customer satisfaction is now at 99%. You don't have to believe what I say here and you certainly don't have to check in to come see who we are now. I urge you to stop by and see for yourself. We are truly 'the best kept secret in Lubbock.' Thank you for your time.
Hurst, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

Hello,

In January 2007 I made reservations at this hotel directly with the property for the weekend of the Texas Tech v. Texas A&M football game in October 2007. I knew Lubbock would be packed that weekend, and wanted to be sure to have a room. The staff said it did not need a credit card to hold the reservation and gave me a verbal confirmation #. I was concerned about this so I sent an e-mail asking for a written confirmation, which the manager sent me. Still no request for a credit card. I was going with a group of friends, (4 other rooms) and they had the exact same experience.

To be on the safe side, I called to confirm the reservation right before we left on the 5 hour drive. I was told that since I had not given a credit card at the time of booking my reservation had been canceled and the hotel was sold out. I would have to talk to an assistant manager who didn't come in until 3 PM. We had to postpone leaving. The asst. manager said she called me a few days earlier and left a message, but I didn't call back so she canceled. I told her I had proof of every telephone call via my caller ID and no one from Lubbock had called. Then she said it was canceled because I had not used a credit card. I told her I had an e-mail from the manager, which specifically did not ask for a credit card. She finally agreed that we could stay across the street in the extended stay units. I called my other friends and found out that 3 friends had gotten the calls, but one had not. Guess what, their reservation was canceled too. They immediately called, and also were able to get into the extended stay. Like us, they had to miss the Friday night group dinner we had planned.

If you do stay there, be sure to insist on a credit card confirmation, and get a confirmation number.

Positive points. Clean, basic rooms, and very close to Texas Tech University. Continental breakfast was adequate. Great price. Negative: Reservation system. No pool or other amenities.

• Liked — Location to Texas Tech and Price
  • Disliked — Reservation system
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

The Guesthouse Inn was a great place to stay, it was clean and tidy, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were more than adequate. I had no problems at all with my room or with my stay in Lubbock, As Arnie says....I'll be back! I found the Texans to be the friendliest bunch of people I have met for a long long time, thank y'all! Not more I can say really, just 10 out of 10. Sad to return to England.

• Disliked — No kettle in the kitchen area ( hey, I'm English)
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

Recently my daughter and I stayed at this hotel for the first time. It was such a nice experience that it made the stress of having a family member in the hospital much more bearable. The staff was extremely friendly and took care of all of our questions. The room was very nice, not fancy, but clean and comfortable. Loved the employee taking care of the kitchen. We really enjoyed the Lifestyles Center gym at Covenant Hospital that the hotel staff recommended that was just a few blocks away - great stress reliever. We will definitely be coming back to this hotel.

• Liked — friendly family atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Go on internet for hotel coupon - saves money.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2006

I reserved a room here for four nights this past weekend. When I arrived the hotel staff was very friendly. They told me about the breakfast hours and were very helpful. I had a great first impression. My first warning sign was how the responded when I told them I had found the hotel on Tripadvisor and that they were rated number four in Lubbock. They were surprised to say the least. My in-laws are all from Lubbock and they were worried about us staying there too.

Anyway, I got out of the elevator, and there was a couple just SCREAMING at each other in the room across from the elevator. I ran down to my room hoping they wouldn't come out as I was in the hall. My mother in law was with me and we got into the room and took a good look around. The place wasn't filthy dirty on the surface, but it looked all stained up, banged up, and musty. It reminded me of what I would imagine a rent by the hour hotel to look like versus what a medical center hotel would be like. In a word- SEEDY.

To the hotels credit- The staff immediately took care of going up to the noisy room and taking care of the problem. They told me they would kick out that couple before they would want to see me go.

I just couldn't stay at that point. I was going to have to stay there two nights by myself and I just didn't feel safe. I ended up at the Townesuites by Marriott. I think it was 80 dollars more for the entire stay. Worth every penny!

Sorry I didn't take any pictures, I just got the heck out of there as fast as I could!

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Seedy feel, very worn and weathered accomodations
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here only if you need to stay right by the medical center for a good price.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

We had two separate one-night stays here a week apart in mid-July, 2006. We discovered this hotel here on Tripadvisor and were thrilled to find such a nice value. The hotel is a very basic accomodation and most of the guests are patients, or family of patients, visitng the nearby hospitals and clinics. The free wireless Internet worked fine and the staff were nice. The hotel is a few blocks from the hospitals/clinics and Texas Tech campus. There are plenty of restaurants, shops, etc., nearby.

• Liked — Value for price paid
  • Disliked — Very basic accomodation
  • Tips/Secrets — Excellent value and location for Lubbock.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Guesthouse Inn & Extended Stay Suites? Share your experiences!