“Complete Meltdown, Is anyone in charge?” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Austin, Texas
“Complete Meltdown, Is anyone in charge?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was staying at a nearby hotel, and Joe's Crab Shack was was the only restaurant around.

It should have been adequate, but when I walked in the place reeked of vomit. More precisely, the smell was as if vomit had been mopped up and then the dirty vomit water used to mop the entire inside floor. It was gag inducing, but I thought I could get an outdoor table. Wrong.

I could not get a table at all. There were plenty of empty tables. Plenty of employees hanging around. But none of those employees would seat me and none of them knew where the seater was. Bizarre.

I don't know if there was no manager on duty, or the manager had a stroke. Same result: it was chaos with no path to get seated and eat. In the end, it was for the best as the pervasive choking strong vomit smell had killed my appetite.

I assume someone is paying for the building and employees. I would ask that person or organization: why spend the money on facilities and labor if you don't actually seat and feed people to get revenue? I wonder what the health department would make of the choking vomit stench?

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Lubbock, Texas, United States
“Girls day out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Poor service, unable to get the food we wanted and the frozen margarita machine was broken. Very very stale chips seved with the dip. Will not return.

Visited July 2012
Lubbock, TX
“Below average in all aspects”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We had lunch here on a Sunday. Lubbock is not a place for fresh seafood, but this was just no good at all. Food didn't taste quite right. I had the paella which was overwhelmed by the smoked sausage they put in it. No calamari as advertised on the menu. Clams and mussels were sandy and no flavor. My wife sent at least half of her fishermans platter back. Same thing, taste of thawed out frozen food. Our service was very slow, total cost $120 for four people, no dessert, tea to drink seems a poor deal for this kind of food. Restrooms were dirty overflowing with used paper towels. We think we won't come back here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Portales, New Mexico
“Love Joes!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We have gone to Joes so many times. We have ordered the crab buckets and regular menu food like sandwiches. They have very good meals, drinks and desserts. We usually have a great time here, but it can be hit or miss. I have had over cooked crab here once but the waiter brought us out more for free when we told him. Sometimes the wait staff isn't to into doing their line dances and everything which really just makes them look bad when they don't put full effort into it...but most of the time it is great!

Visited October 2011
Abilene, Texas
“It's always good at Joe's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Daughter loves this place and it's always spot on. Ordered a side order of crab legs and they were plenty "meaty".

Visited July 2012