“good hotel for the price. will stay again on our next trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Lubbock

You added Howard Johnson Lubbock to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Lubbock
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   5108 Interstate 27, Lubbock, TX 79404 (Formerly Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #22 of 56 Hotels in Lubbock
ROANOKE
“good hotel for the price. will stay again on our next trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

2nd time we stayed at this hotel the price is right n service is good. Will recommend to my friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Tariq F, Manager at Howard Johnson Lubbock, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your stay with us, anything we can do to make your stay more better next time please let us know. We are brand new property build kin 2012, our goal is the exceed our guest expectation and stirve for the best guest services. Thank you again for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Keller
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The first thing I should say is that when I stay at a Travelodge I do not expect much because I am fully aware that they are an inexpensive chain. This hotel has just changed to a Howard Johnson, so maybe it will be better eventually. We have stayed here three times for Tech football games because of the low price we got by booking far in advance, but we are going to find somewhere else next time. I cancelled our reservations for the last games because it is better to spend more and stay somewhere else. First, the pros- the hotel is either fairly new or remodeled and it is clean and the rooms and fairly large and pretty quiet. It has nice water pressure in the shower. The wi-fi is nice and fast. The staff is friendly and do seem concerned when you report a problem. Now, the cons- the staff, while friendly, do not care if you have a problem, they just write it on notebook paper and say they will tell someone, the beds are awful, absolutely the worst we have had in a hotel. They are as hard as a board, I would have been just as comfortable on the floor. And the sheets are paper thin and too small for the bed. You can literally watch the TV through the sheets. And they kept coming off, exposing the nasty mattress pad with pubic hairs on it, ugh!!IT was bad enough that we didn't sleep and that is why we will stay somewhere else next time. The furniture was very flimsy and already breaking. The breakfast area was chaotic, and was only staffed by the front desk person when she had a chance to check on it, and it was messy and dirty. The breakfast isn't important to me, but if it is for you, you can find much better elsewhere. It is supposed to be no smoking but someone was smoking somewhere and there was a strong smell in the hall. With a few improvements this would be a decent inexpensive place to stay. If they were to get better beds, or at least better sheets, we would probably stay there again. But there are many low priced hotels in Lubbock that are nicer than this one for the same price range, so until then, we will find a different place to stay. I am hopeful that they may try to solve the problems and if they do, I will try again because of the low price. If you stay in the summer and a pool is important, this isn't the place for you. The pool is the tiniest I have ever seen.

Room Tip: Try for the top floor, you can really hear the people above you on the lower floors. Also, we were...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TARIQ F, Manager at Howard Johnson Lubbock, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our Hotel. Guest like you feedback help us to improve
our guest needs and services. We thank you for your stay with and looking forward to have you
our guest again. If we can do anything to make sure next stay more enjoyable, please let us know.
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Very large room for the price, great beds and wonderful AC (Lubbock is hot
in the summer). Checked in late at night, had room reserved, walked in front door and, without even asking my name, the desk lady handed me the room paperwork to sign. That's efficient. I should have realized it, though, it said they offered ESPN. Within walking distance of several restaurants and 50th Street nearby has about every kind of food you'd want within a half mile. When we were there (third week in Sept., 2012) it was in the process of chancing from a Travelodge to a Howard Johnson's. (Not the one who used to play third base for the Mets.)

Room Tip: There's a back way out of motel to 50th Street, lets you avoid one-way interstate service road.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TARIQ F, Manager at Howard Johnson Lubbock, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our Hotel. I am very happy to heard you enjoy staying at our Hotel. You are very right, we have every type of restaurant at walking distance from the Hotel.
We are also off of 50th Street Exit from Interstate-27. We are about one year old.
We are looking forward to have you our guest again.
Buda, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Let's start with me reserving a room with two beds and arriving late at night after a football game to 1 king bed. That's OK except that no rooms that I wanted were available and they charged me 15.00 for a roll-a-way that had to be propped up with a phone book to keep from collapsing in on itself. The reason for the charge - I got such a good deal on the room by reserving on the internet that they just couldn't give me the roll-a-way for free. Honestly, I was pissed but at 11:00 at night the family and I were exhausted and ready to sleep. We made do.

We did get the room for less than 100.00 total which is a good deal but you need to understand you are right on the edge of the really bad parts of Lubbock. If you stay here you will need to plan to drive to better parts of town to eat and shop. It's not the hood - but close.

The room was clean and large and the bathroom was definitely what you would expect at this price point. We did not eat the breakfast due to prior plans so no comments on that but I agree with previous posts that the area is quite small. Overall, it is fairly clean and the front desk staff was nice but the owner should have given me the roll-a-way for free rather than fret over my "really good deal." Seriously?

I would stay again if our preferred hotels (Hawthorn and Overton) are booked. If you are in Lubbock for a visit to Tech this not the most convenient place to stay but nothing in Lubbock is very far from Tech. If you are on a tight budget this is way better than some of the older, really dumpy places around but you can also do better without spending much more money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to review our Hotel.
We strive for excellence, and try our best to meet or exceed our guest expectation.
If we can do anything to make your next stay more comfortable and enjoyable please let us know.
Montgomery
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Nicely renovated Hotel. Breakfast area too small only one waffle maker backed things up. Glad I only wanted coffee. Plan on going back when we visit Texas Tech. Nice place for the price, clean comfortable, free internet.

Stayed September 2012
TARIQ F, General Manager at Howard Johnson Lubbock, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our Hotel.
I am very happy to heard you enjoy your stay with us and you were very satisfy with our services.
We are looking forward to have you our guest again, and if we can do anything to make your next stay more enjoyable and comfortable please let us know.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Was warmly welcomed by Michelle at the front desk. Hotel is remodeled. Not super fancy but what you would expect for the price. Couldn't hook up to the Wifi and staff did not help. Also the pool isn't bigger than two hot tubs put together and the door by the pool is broken already. But if you just need a place to sleep its not bad.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for taking time to review our Hotel, we strive for best customer service.our goal is to meet or exceed our guest expectation. We are not 5 star Hotel, but we provide services and amenities close to 5 star Hotel. We are looking forward to have you our guest again.
Thank you.

Been to Howard Johnson Lubbock? Share your experiences!