“it's a mess” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Lubbock
Round Rock, Texas
“it's a mess”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

we stayed in this hotel for one night in June. We arrived at hotel around 9:30PM after driving 8 hours. Everybody was tired. After waiting for 10 minutes, the lady showed up at front desk, carrying some bedding stuff for another customer. She told us our room will be a smoking room as all non-smoking rooms are booked. It's a big surprise to us. Everybody in my family hates smoking smell. My daughter refused to stay in a smoking room. After some plea, she showed us another room which is non-smoking but needs some clean work. She told us if we want this room, she can clean up for us. We agreed. At this time the whole hotel only had one front desk employee, she answered about 5 or 6 calls, helped maybe half dozen customers. Then she finally went to clean our room. By the time our room is ready, it's 11:20PM.

After we entered our room, we found out toilet didn't work, but we were so exhausted and didn't have any energy to ask.

I am not sure why we were given a smoking room at first place, maybe because we booked through priceline?

but only having one employee working in a very busy Friday evening, it's a bad management.

The lady were very nice and helpful, because of her, I gave this hotel 3 star. (it would be one star without this friendly employee)

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I have stayed at this location twice. The employees are very friendly, and eager to serve you.The rate is a good value for the service, location and ammenities that they offer. I have no reason to search for another hotel when I am staying in Lubbock, because this La Quinta meets all my needs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Lubbock, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

When I checked in (to the first room) the carpet had a huge soaking wet spot . The room also had a really weird, bad smell. They did give me another room. That room was dirty....they didn't even wipe out the ashtrays from the last guest. Then in the bathroom....well.... let's not even go there. I decided to leave a little toothpaste in the sink one morning and I left cigarette butts in the ashtray. When I returned to the room all that was still there. I am 99% sure that they left a dirty washcloth (that was dry) in the sink area. Instead of changing it out, they folded it and put it behind the faucet. There were "hairs" on the back side of the toilet (if ya get my drift)....they weren't mine. Even the lobby area was dirty....floors, windows and the elevator. They serve a "breakfast" but I wasn't about to eat the food after what I saw in the room. If you come to Lubbock and the only motel room left in town is here......rent a tent!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Midland, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Checked in for one night on June 26 when my father had surgery at nearby Covenant Lakeside Hospital (only a couple of blocks away). Clearly this place had spiraled downward as it has aged -- to the point that what was a top hotel when it was first built years ago was on its last legs. Recent efforts to breathe some life into this place includes new flooring, new paint pretty much everywhere, comfortable beds and it seems that at least some of the furniture in the rooms is new. And I found the check-in clerk attentive, efficient, and helpful. I think they are trying.

That said, some things still need attention -- renovation dust in the elevator, sink in our room needs cosmetic attention (look in the lower part of the mirror and in the reflection of the sink you see problems where sink meets the counter top). And given that they allow pets in the hotel I wonder how long the improvements and updates will stay "fresh." But the biggest issue that I have is the sub-standard breakfast that is offered. The coffee was terrible -- had a burned taste to it. My spouse is a diabetic and she pointed out that there was virtually nothing offered at the breakfast that she could eat -- in particular there was no protein that fit her diet. Boiled eggs (still in the shell) were available, which she could have eaten, when I went down early in the morning for coffee but they were all gone by the time she arrived for breakfast. We ended up going out for breakfast.

Conclusion: Given how close it was to the hospital and how cheaply I was able to book (less than $50 online) this place was okay. But, even though they are trying, I would probably look elsewhere if I had it to do again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

In our group of 12 families, these are things we encountered at this hotel - Blood on the bedskirt, mold on the shower curtain, dirty panties from a previous stay in the dresser, toilet overflowing, electrical problems in the bathrooms (light in the shower room would go out in the middle of the shower and leave the room pitch dark), scalding hot shower in the middle of the shower with no control over it, lack of bath towels, sometimes working sometimes not elevator, no variety at breakfast - waffles, bread, and apples- that's about it! If you like what you read, go ahead and stay here. One evening, there was absolutely no one there to even check anybody in or answer a phone. No staff members at all!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I traveled into Lubbock the weekend of my wedding and upon checking in I was greeted with professional and courteous staff that understood customer service. While organizing the assembly of the wedding, rehearsals, and such I was highly stressed and forgot to check out of the room on Saturday and check in to another room for Saturday night. By the time that I was aware of my folly I contacted the front desk only to be informed that they had already handled all the details, had the new keys available, and had everything taken care of. ALL the staff had wonderful insight and understanding of all the needs of their guests. With everyone of our guests that had stayed in the block of rooms I had reserved, not one complaint or discomfort was brought up.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel in the past and it was due for renovations, they have now finished with construction and WOW it's AMAZING. As always the staff is by far the BEST, so nice and helpful and they always seem to actually CARE, its just the small things that they do, ask for a cab number and their response is I'll call and set it up for you, or ask where something is and they draw you directions on a map ect, just AWESOME staff. The hotel itself is BEAUTIFUL... New carpets, furniture, paint, TVs ect. The breakfast is pretty much a regular continental breakfast, nothing too exciting there, would love to see some bacon, eggs ect but I doubt that will happen. We will definitely return to this hotel for all our stays in Lubbock!

• Stayed June 2011

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Lubbock West Medical Center? Share your experiences!