“This is a dive that rocks!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #71 of 469 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: Thai
Dallas, Texas
“This is a dive that rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were in Lubbock for a campus tour. I was texting my pet sitter in Dallas and she recommended this place. I am so happy she did. I am not afraid of dives, so that almost made me happy as I know they are some of the best places. This place did not disappoint. As we ordered we read the "rules" on the side of the drink refrigerator. It states if you order your food medium or hot it will be and they will not recook your food. Boy that was the truth. I eat hot and medium rocked my socks. Loved it. It did take 20 minutes which was also stated on the fridge.
The best part, other than the food , was the guy who came in stating that he had waited 26 years to come back to eat there and would be back next Friday on his way back through. He was a Tech Alumni. Even said his wife was mad she wasn't there with him. I loved listening to him talking to the owner like they were old friends. My only complaint is they need to clean the ceiling fans. But that is why they are called dives. Highly recommend this lovely Lubbock Jewel.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lubbock, Texas
“Thai meets diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This place does not exist because of the atmosphere. The place looks like a diner from a Law and Order episode. The hours are erratic. The clientele is regulars with occasional college kids. But the food is the reason I keep going back.

I am particularly found of Tom Kha Gai or Chicken Coconut Soup. I order mine hot. I have tried it at other restaurants in town, but I keep going back to Choochai. The service is quick and the staff friendly. I would suggest calling ahead as they are not always open.

Visited February 2013
“Great Thai!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Hole in the wall Thai food joint! We were looking for it and completely passed it. Drove up & parked with 2nd thoughts. The food is totally fantastic! Small places usually are always authentic and the best and this is no exception! Give it a try!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Great Thai food, very authentic and reasonable. The ambiance sucks, but the food speaks for itself! :-)

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lubbock, Texas
“Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I have made it my goal to try everything on the menu. The spice isn't for the faint at heart. Everything I've tried has been delicious and Renee and Tahn are always so accomodating. Love this place!