“Shocked....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Lubbock
Bedford, TX
“Shocked....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I have stayed at the Overton before and have loved it. This time, I brought my mother to the Overton with me and my daughter. I was surprised at the "type of people" that were staying at the hotel - or hanging out there. There was a drunk in the bar area that had to be escorted out, the drinks were pricing and not good drinks at all. Both my mother and daughter were up most of the night due to the fighting and arguing from guests on our floor. It frightened my daughter who thought the people were trying to get into our room. These aren't really things you can control - but for the price of your hotel - I was shocked at the clientele.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Fort Meade, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Overall, we were happy with the stay, but the Overton needs some work to reach a higher level of satisfaction. Simply things that make a difference can go either way. For example, breakfast buffet was Ok but I have so much better at much cheaper hotels. Same items everyday, no yogurt, only one toaster, and why were we always seated at the farthest distance from the buffet by a very inexperienced hostess?? Three slow elevators for a 15 story hotel and one of them doesnt work to the preferred level. On the last night wew were there, the sprinkler system activated overnight and drenched our car with heavily salted or mineralized water which when dried was terribly hard to clean. I would recommend that the managers actually spent a few nights in the hotel instead of walking around in suits saying good morning to everyone!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I stayed in the hotel for a conference and got food poisoning on my last night. I did not eat anywhere but the hotel the day prior to the sickness (and I've had food poisoning before and know that's what I had). When I checked out, I informed the staff just in case anyone else got sick (or would get sick on what I ate). The response was basically "oh, well, too bad." Then there was a mix up on if the van to the airport ran that early or not, thankfully it did because the staff the day before forgot to call the taxi anyway. Had a nice one-way conversation with the staff member who drove me--talked about a friend of his sniffing cocaine in a house in DC where he used to live, tatoos, and other stories of his life. I was so weak and sick from my experience, I didn't care--just wanted to get to the airport!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Amarillo, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Our food was room temperature at best & neither entree had any taste! The presentation was dull and boring also! We ate at a restaurant called The Vine Innovative Cuisine as a suggestion from another guest and it was hands down better. The service was great and the food should have been on Food Network! The Chef even came out and spoke with his guests (Us included!) and was very modest and professional. It is pretty sad that a hotel of this size with a much larger budget can't get it right and a little restaurant a couple miles away can blow their doors off!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
overtonGM, General Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with me regarding your recent dining experience. I won’t offer anything by way of explanation or excuse for the poor experience because there is nothing I could possibly offer. I am embarrassed beyond words. Rest assured that your feedback has been shared with my entire Executive Committee – situations such as those you have described are unacceptable and will be addressed with all involved staff, both for training purposes and to improve our service in these areas in the future.

If you and your fiancée plan to return to the Lubbock area, I would be honored to have an opportunity to make this right by hosting you as my guests for dinner. I guarantee you will not be disappointed a second time. Although we faltered during your recent visit, we truly are trying to build a culture of genuine hospitality and service excellence for our guests throughout the hotel with a goal of pleasing every guest, every time. Our management challenges in the restaurant are being addressed even as we speak and I am confident that this will be evident on your return visit. Should you be willing to give the Overton another chance, please contact me directly to make the arrangements – it would be my pleasure to take care of everything personally.

Once again, thank you so much for your candid feedback. I do appreciate your business, I am deeply sorry that you did not find us at our best, and I look forward to my next opportunity to serve you.

Respectfully,

Kurt E. Metcalf
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stay here often. I decided to pay for a "preferred level" room. So for my extra $100 dollars I got: the exact same room and amenities as any other level, the same size television that was actually broken (it flickered from dark to bright every 30 seconds) access to a couple of glasses of wine, two free breakfast passes however even though the restaurant was empty, I waited 20 minutes to be seated....FOR A BUFFET, my coffee was water, my turndown service was nonexistent, we had to ask for our complimentary chocolates, and we were only given one robe.

When I first entered the room and realized that I was paying $100 extra for a glass of wine and two breakfast buffets, I quickly tried to switch to a normal room (which probably would have at least had a functional television.) But of course they were booked and "unable" to switch my room.

RIP OFF

Room Tip: Do not pay for a preferred level!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
I am deeply sorry that your recent stay was unsatisfactory, particularly as you indicate you are a frequent guest of the Overton. The service and accommodations you describe are completely unacceptable and inconsistent with our standards. If you would be so kind as to contact me at kurtmetcalf@overtonhotel.com, I would appreciate the opportunity to address these concerns with you directly. Your business is valued and your concerns will not be taken lightly.

Respectfully,

Kurt Metcalf, General Manager
Overton Hotel & Conference Center
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have strong personal ties to Lubbock Christian University and come to Lubbock frequently for school business and special events. My family has stayed at several different Lubbock hotels through the years. My daughters and I recently enjoyed a "weekend getaway" at the Overton and now we have a new favorite hotel in Lubbock. Just a short drive to the LCU campus, our 15th floor room offered a great view of the Tech campus and Lubbock city lights at night. I recommend the Overton to any LCU visitor looking for a great place to stay.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I came out to Lubbock to TTU's freshman orientation with my daughter. I stayed at the Overton hotel, I was very suprised. Everytime I visit my daughter for the next 4+ years I will be staying at the Overton.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Overton Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!