“Great for family!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #147 of 510 Restaurants in Lubbock
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: River Smith's Chicken & Catfish is a family-restaurant serving made-from-scratch Southern specialties! Serving Southern, Cajun favorites, everything is made from scratch at River Smith's. Try our famous chicken and catfish or try our delicious burgers, sandwiches, steaks, and desserts.
Canadian, Texas
“Great for family!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

The food was really good, and our teenage son loved his dish, a combo platter called the Captain's Platter! My husband ordered butterfly shrimp and a side of blackened catfish; however, he received fried catfish instead of the shrimp, but he's never one to complain, so he ate it anyway...although he continued to say he sure wished that they wouldn't have messed up his order during the entire meal. LOL

I ordered the stuffed crab shells, but was not impressed as there was more stuffing than crab, and it was gooey and gummy. Being the complete opposite of my husband (picture Meg Ryan ordering a meal in "When Harry Met Sally" - yep, that's me), I didn't hesitate to re-order, and chose the butterfly shrimp. It took a very long time for my food to arrive (my husband and son were already finished). A very nice woman (probably the manager) delivered my food with huge apologies, and offered a complimentary dessert, Cinn-fully Good Puffs, which my son gladly accepted, and woofed down while I ate my meal! The shrimp was very yummy, and the "puffs" served with meals were heavenly...a melt-in-your-mouth, very light buttery biscuit.

My son was kind enough to save me one bite of the dessert, which were puffs dusted with cinnamon, and reminded me somewhat of a beignet. Soooo good!

Great staff, and a fun stop while in Lubbock!

Visited August 2014
Paul C, Owner at River Smith's Chicken & Catfish Restaurant, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Everything we love to see, Jack! Thrilled we were able to cook something delicious up for you and the family. Thanks for being patient with us through our little hiccup, too. Hope to see you back in Lubbock soon.

All the best,

“Terrible ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was recently in Lubbock and we saw this interesting place that we decided to give a try. Big mistake!

We asked the person at the order counter what the specialty of the house was and she recommended the catfish. I ordered the catfish and my business colleague had the combo basket of catfish and chicken. Each order came with fries and 2 hush puppies and a fried biscuit.
It was bad enough that we were about to eat all of this fried food, but the execution was terrible. The grease must not have been hot enough because the all of the fried foods were not crispy. The fish was kind of soggy and the fries were limp.

I could not eat enough of the food even to get by. We left and will not be back.

Later we spoke to some locals and they said that it is not considered a very good choice by the locals either.

Paul C, Owners at River Smith's Chicken & Catfish Restaurant, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Well that’s not what we like to hear, J! You should be able to count on a great experience on all fronts when you dine with us, and I hope you’ll accept my apologies if we missed the mark. I’ll be sure to pass your comments along to my kitchen team to ensure everything is always coming out piping hot and crispy -- just as it should be. I do hope you’ll give us another shot to serve up the tasty fried chicken & seafood that’s made us a Lubbock institution since 1976!

Our apologies,
“Very good catfish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

This is not a fancy place. However, the food is very good. The service is prompt. The food came as ordered. The catfish was plentiful and cooked just right. I also liked the hush puppies although I could have eaten more than the two provided with the basket.

Visited July 2014
Paul C, Owners at River Smith's Chicken & Catfish Restaurant, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Fancy isn't our name, but good food is definitely our game. Glad you enjoyed the catfish and hush puppies. If you liked those, you'll definitely enjoy the fried chicken -- give that a shot on your next visit!

Dallas, Texas
“Damn Good Eatin'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I don't know what else to say! The fried chicken livers, catfish, hush puppies, fries, and Cajun seafood is slap YO MAMA good! DO NOT MISS the fried zucchini. If I complained about service, it would be, they didn't have this on the table when I got there. Damnit! Nuff said!

Visited June 2014
Paul C, Owner at River Smith's Chicken & Catfish Restaurant, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
This review just made our day -- though we really encourage you not to slap your mother. :) We're thrilled to see you loved everything and are looking forward to your next meal with us! See you soon.

All the best,
Chester County, PA
“Family restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Good, quick, inexpensive food in a family atmosphere. Close to interstate and motels. Get the catfish.

Visited June 2014
Awesome to see you were able to swing by on your trip to Texas. We're glad you enjoyed your experience with us, and hope to see you in for some catfish the next time you're in town!