“Below Average for a Marriott Property” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #30 of 56 hotels in Lubbock
Amarillo, TX
“Below Average for a Marriott Property”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

First, this is not a nasty hotel, a dump, or anything like that. The poor rating is because of the price and the brand, expectations are not met.

The service was poor. I checked in behind another group. The service was slow getting them checked in and not very friendly whatsoever. When they asked if there was anywhere they could get some water, they told them to look in the vending machine. They said they already had and the lady simply said, "Are you sure, I'm pretty sure they have water" (they didn't). No offer for help or a solution, simply dismissed them. The breakfast area wasn't kept up, a few people had to ask for things to be re-filled, etc.

The property is beginning to show it's age. Very small lobby and breakfast area. The rooms are a decent size with a nice TV, and okay furnishings. Nothing broken or damaged. The towels are literally a pain to dry off with. They are the thinnest hotel towels I've ever had to use.

The air conditioner introduced a LOT of humidity into the room for some reason. My clothes were almost damp when I came back after the day at work. I could live with that if it weren't for the fact that it struggled to keep the room cool and was very loud. Twice I woke up at night and had to try and do something to get the fan to quit rattling.

The hotel is in a pretty good location with a few restaurants nearby, the rooms and hotel are kept pretty clean, room service was fine. Overall this isn't an awful hotel, however it doesn't live up to the Fairfield name or the price of the rooms.

I stayed at this hotel despite the poor reviews here since I was wanting to stay at a Marriott Property and the next door Courtyard didn't have any rooms. In the future I'll either be trying another Marriott property or staying at one of the other much better locations available in Lubbock.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
LubbockFF_GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Lubbock, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize we did not provide you with the experience you expected while staying with us. We failed to keep our guest promises, making you feel welcomed and making sure everything worked in the room. We have made changes in our staff along with retraining. Our number one priority is making a good impression and friendliness to all our guests. All maintenances issues have been addressed and corrected. We hope next time you are in this area you will give us the opportunity to make your stay a better one, as we strive to improve our customer service.

Josie Zapata

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012 via mobile

Nice, clean, quiet. Lots of reviews here state this is an average Fairfield Inn, which is an accurate- but not derogatory statement. Fairfield is consistent, which is what I like. Everything was clean and comfy, nothing was broken, etc. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was good. Directly in front of hotel is an Outback, Cheddar's, ihop, & Jason's deli. Hotel is back far enough from highway that noise isn't an issue.

• Stayed March 2012
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011 via mobile

Only average for a Courtyard. Needs to upgrade the towels they are almost like sandpaper.

• Stayed December 2011
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I agree with the others, there's nothing fancy about this hotel. It was clean which is great, the food wasn't too bad although the dining room is VERY small. The elevator is kinda small, but this is Lubbock we are talking about. It has good access and restaurants around it and it's convenient to most of what you need in Lubbock. I would stay here again for business travel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

There is really nothing that sticks out about this hotel that can be highlighted. It is relatively inexpensive, so if you are looking for a hotel with no bells and whistles, then it may should be considered. It has your standard bed and bathroom, has easy access to the main highway and is located next to a few restaurants. I did have a funny acting toilet that I was not sure was going to make it through the night, but did. There is no hard line laptop connectivity for secure connection, so everything is wireless other than a "business" computer near the front desk. Overall, its a forgettable hotel that I probably won't stay in the near future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
West Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel a few times during trips to Lubbock. The remodel has much improved the overall look and feel of the room. I stay here on business generally.

The front desk folks are usually very friendly and efficient. The lobby is typical of older FIs, small with some older furniture. The room features newly (within the past year) remodeled furniture with a flat-screen LCD. The A/C is older and pretty loud, but works well. The bathroom is still in the original condition, looks old and the tubs could use a refresh. There's plenty of vanity space.

My last experience wasn't the best with housekeeping. I checked in very late and found that housekeeping had missed a lot from the previous guest. See the pictures. There was a half-eaten pickle left in the refrigerator, trash around the nightstand, and stains on the sheets. I told the front desk the next day about it and the manager called to apologize and gave me some Marriott Reward Points for the stay. This was unique for the hotel, usually I don't have issues with housekeeping.

Outside, it appears to be in a pretty safe area with a Jason's Deli and Cheddar's within walking distance. Ample parking around the property as well. Breakfast in the morning was the usual minimal FI breakfast.

Overall, I would say if you could stay at another Marriott Property, you should. This property isn't terrible, but the others have done a better job with their remodels or are more consistent with their housekeeping. The Towne Place, Courtyard and Residence Inn, in that order, are the better Marriott Properties in Lubbock.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

I've been working at staying at Marriott properties, mainly due to my Rewards points, etc... so I get to enjoy both the good and the bad/older properties in the Marriott Family of hotels.

As a general customer, I would say this hotel is extremely average.. if not a little under average.

Upon checkin, I had to make conversation with the front desk clerk to even attract her attention... and even then the conversation was minimalistic. She seemed like she had better things to do, and the few questions I did ask her, seemed to annoy her... (Not sure why a guest asking her about their room and rate is a questionable issue).

I got to my room, I admit I was a little spoiled from my stay last night at a nearly new Marriott Property; but upon opening the door, I was welcomed with what I think was a dark, smoke like odor... not too sure.. It smelled like this might have been a smoking room at some point. The new looking curtains were hanging from the ceiling (the nail/screws hanging down from the ceiling, begging for repair).. Aside from my initial welcome, the room was otherwise comfortable and basic.

I was upgraded to a King room, bed is big, TV is a 32" LCD, and the room has 2 phones, Work Desk, and a nice couch/living area. The room is large in size, maybe 250-300sq ft.. and the bathroom is nice and clean.

For an older property (especially one that apparently just had a recent renovation) I was surprised to see how "tired" it looked... I also get irked when I see "projects in progress" in a public facing property (like blue painters tape all over the ceiling and walls, which apparently wasn't taken down after the renovation).

The room rate was the same, or more that comparable properties.. that is, properties that bear a property name that is of a higher stature than a Motel 6, for example.

Overall, for what I paid, I am not thoroughly satisfied. But, in all, the hotel is not terrible and I have definitely stayed at worse. I would probably not stay here again, but I am not overly disgruntled about my stay.

One other thing; the hotel sponsors "high speed internet"... As a Business Traveler, in the Networking field.. I can say that this internet is VERY VERY basic. I.e. you will likely only get the chance of browsing websites that aren't very high in content. YouTube, Flash, VPN/Remote Access, probably won't happen here. Speeds were amazingly slow.. I haven't actually ever had a hotel offer something this slow. Again, maybe I'm just spoiled, but it was definitely something I noticed right off the bat.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn Lubbock? Share your experiences!