“Worth the trip.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Houston
“Worth the trip.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

On a recent drive through Texas, we made a detour to Luling for BBQ. It turned out that our destination was closed on Sundays, so we continued down the road to Lockhart. We went to Black's Barbeque off the town square, and it was worth the trip. Easy cafeteria-style format and friendly staff. The brisket was terrific. Link was so-so. I recommend the cole slaw and beans as side items, and definitely grab some of the jalepeno cornbread.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Austin, Texas
“Good Barbecue!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Their food is good! Their set-up is a little different though. You have the sides buffet style and they you get your meats onto your plate and then you pay. It is fine, but I prefer it the other way with the meat all wrapped up in the brown paper and the potato salad sold by the pint. The potoato salad here is yummy though, as is their blueberry pie! Still not sure how I had room for it, but it was great! The service here is great too!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Best brisket in town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Best brisket in town.

seguin, tx
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

After hearing so much about this place, I finally had a chance to try it. The brisket was okay, not bad actually, but very pricey. I ended up paying $28 to feed my girlfriend and I. Thats $14 a piece and after looking at my tray, I was trying to figure out where that $28 went!! I could go down the street to a better place and pay $12 and get more BBQ than what I got at Black's. They are tricky with their pickles too. I got charged for picking some out of the pickle jar from the meat chopping room. That cost me money, and they have free pickles in the next room, from the tea lady. A new customer would not know that, and I felt cheated. Why did they have me pay $3 for some relish pickles, when they have normal jar pickles near the tea? It made no sense to me, and I was put off on their food. Also, the tea girl was very rude and did not want to be working there. I have no desire to ever go back, and my family has eaten Texas BBQ for over 100 years.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Illinois
“Not as Good As I Hoped For...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

I was disappointed. Tried ribs, brisket, and chicken. I didn't even finish the chicken, the ribs were ok, and the brisket was ok. I expected everything to be great, being the oldest barbeque joint in Texas.

But the biggest disappointment was the sauce. If you've ever tried cheap 99 cent Kraft barbeque sauce from the supermarket, that's pretty much what it was. Maybe with a little ketchup added. Honestly, if they sold bottles of it for $1.00, I wouldn't have brought any home with me.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere