“How hard can it really be to get extra towels!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Rio Grande Plaza
1 South Main Drive, Laredo, TX 78040   |
Ranked #27 of 35 hotels in Laredo
Van Buren, Arkansas
“How hard can it really be to get extra towels!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Ok.....so my first impression of this place was acutally ok. The rooms are nice and the staff is friendly. The view into Mexico is awesome at night. Now on to the frustrating thing about my stay. You have to ask for your tv remote...What the heck is up with that!!! Also, when it comes to askin for towels you might as well bring your own, because you won't get any it is awful. I had to ask 3 times for extra towels, washcloths and hand towels. So when I did finally get them I get only two towels, no extra washcloths or hand towels just big towels. I thought maybe with the language barrier I would go ask again for the items I needed and to see if I could possibly get our trash emptied. Well the whole day went by and still nothing. I had to finally ask for a 5th time and it was taken care of by the end of the day but we still only had one washcloth for two of us and only one hand towel. I guess maybe I'm a little more picky then your average traveler but I don't like to share washcloth with my husband...lol...

Another kind of creepy thing is that the elevators start moving before the doors actually close...that kind of made me worry several times and when you get in and the doors don't shut but the manager tells you "it's ok we just rewired" and he just starts pushing buttons....YEAH OK....I just stepped out and said I will take the stairs...

Now the food is good and there are some very friendly staff....so if you don't have issues with any of my complaints it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
dubuque
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

My friend and I were tired of all the cold icey weather from Iowa and wanted a get away for a couple weeks.We drover straight through to Texas and when we finally got to the border we looked for any hotels with a good prce Monthly.We found the Rio Grande Plaza was very reasonable for monthly rates and we checked in immediately for a month.$650.00 dollars a month is a pretty good price for a classy hotel with beautiful women working the front desk .They have a wonderful lounge restaurant high speed internet on the main floor only,and all of the food was incredible.The drink prices were super and the people were very professional.I think I fell in love there everytime I met a new female employee.The rooms were clean,the beds were soft,the pillows smelled good.The only draw back was that if you smoke in the room there is no way to vent it out so go into the bathroom and turn on the fan there and the smoke goes right out.No windows that open but on the top floors i can see why.The hotel was so cumfortable that I want to move there to live.Now how many hotels can say that?And the weather was warm all the time,the general population was great too,noone bothers you there,they mind there own business and life was good for me spending Christmas in Texas.Its about a 5 minute walk to Mexico and mexico is good.
Over alll I loved this hotels spirit and would go back again as soon as i can. If you want a 5 star hotel this is not it but its pretty close.If you pickey about every little thing then this is not the place for you.If your normal and expect what you pay for than this is it.Thanks to all the great people that work there and manage this place because its the best I have ever seen.
SIncerely L.A. Green

• Liked — The WEATHER
  • Disliked — No windows to open for fresh air
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

My wife stayed at the hotel on 6/16 and paid using Master Card in the amount of $59.27. We have subsequently had our credit card billed 6 additional times totaling $775.14. We've contacted the hotel and they have given us the run around. We have filed police charges and contacted our bank to dispute the charges in addition to speaking to the fraud department. Because Rio Grande continues to charge our card, we had to close the account which I had since 1989. If you stay here, use cash only. In addition, this has happened to several other family members. The only reason my wife went there was for a family reunion. What a travesty that a hotel can abuse the credit card system in this way!

• Liked — family gathering
  • Disliked — The fraud
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

I had a great time at the Rio Grande Plaza hotel. The staff went above and beyond my expectations for the price i was paying. I had misplaced my work credentials and it was going to be a couple of days to verify and the front desk clerk assured me it would not be a problem. Knowing it could had been while i was there, i was not treated as such.

The food was excellent too, from a great Mexican food menu to a great big juicy steak with all the trimmings.

The room had an excellent view of the city and being it was my first time in Laredo, Texas...i think it was a great introduction to it.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

My wife and I decided to visit Mexico for the first time. We preferred to sleep on the US side and spend the day on the Mexican border town of Nuevo Laredo. The hotels location was perfect w/ a shuttle available 24 hours to take you to bridge#1 where you can walk the 150 yards to Mexico. It was probably a slow season, specially due to the drug situation across the border but nevertheless the hotel worked just right for us. The rooms were large and spacious (we are used to staying in tiny European space saver hotels)and the staff were courteous and sociable. Other than the musty smell (old hvac system i suppose), the room was clean w/ great ameneties. Although we ate out, the hotel bar made a mean margarita and all in all our stay was fun, shopping both sides for Mexican pottery. Great place if you "plan to cross the river and come back":).

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

I recently booked two rooms at the Rio Grande Plaza. While it may be a little thread worn it is clean and the friendly staff more then made up for any wear or tear. Pool was very clean. Meals were great and prices were reasonable.

While the staff could have become overwellmed by the influx of people trying to escape hurricane Rita, they kept a positive attitude and always had a smile.

• Stayed September 2005
washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2004

From dirty rooms (think random hairs on the bathroom floor and mysterious stains on the bare sides of the box spring) to clueless service, this hotel is an embarassment. For $85 a night, it was an outrage.

The employees were so lackadaisical it was a wonder they were actually awake. The "restaurant" had a free breakfast -- when I asked if they had cereal, a worker said "Um, maybe. Sometimes we run out. I don't know."

Sure, this hotel is a few blocks from the downtown area, but for around the same price, you can stay in a better chain hotel just a few minutes away. And you won't be afraid to touch anything. It's a shame -- I enjoy supporting local, mom-and-pop businesses when I travel. But this mom and pop should be ashamed.

Been to Rio Grande Plaza? Share your experiences!