“Only stay here if there is no alternative” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Laredo
Gateway Inn
You added Gateway Inn to your Saves list
4910 San Bernardo Ave., Laredo, TX 78040   |
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Laredo
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Only stay here if there is no alternative”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Reading the previous reviews of Gateway Inn I thought I would be fine. I was really trying to say some money on a long trip. Let me preface this by saying I have bunked is some sad, slimy places during my years in the military but this was just beyond..... Smoke smell everywhere, it just wasn't as bad in my room. Hallway ashtrays attached to the wall at the elevator. The carpet was ripped, torn and wrinkled so bad it was a serious tripping hazard, the desk clerk mumbled so bad I could barely understand her, towels the size of postage stamps (no charge for the exfoliation they caused), dust bunnies along the baseboards (I was afraid to look under the bed), holes in the walls, paint peeling off walls and the security guard let himself into our room. When I stopped him, he said something about housekeeping check then went next door and did the exact same thing! Never, never again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

...where you can stay overnight in Laredo, not a great one but pleasant. The price they shown here might not be the right one. It used to be $35/night tax incl. few years ago, but now the average is 40-45/night incl tax.
Good location too, close to Mall del Norte, Sams Club and many other stores.

• Stayed February 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I always stay here because the top floor lets you see for miles, plus it's cheap and so am I. This is a no frills place- no AC in the halls, no breakfast or coffee, no alarm clock, no luxuries at all. The building and furnishings are in slightly rough condition, but my room and linens are very clean. The Internet is available for a small fee, and there's a small outdoor pool. The TV gets Showtime and 60 other channels, 7 of which are in Spanish. Speaking of which, you'd better know Spanish if you want anything from the maids, because they don't speak English. Within walking distance are dozens of stores and restaurants, a mall, a grocery store and a movie theater. If you're in a truck there's parking for 20 bobtails and box trucks, and 5 tractor-trailers. If you just want an air-conditioned room to get out of the Laredo heat and don't need luxury, this hotel will serve you well.

Room Tip: Top floors have a nice view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

A friend and I had traveled from San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. I had several official things to do on both sides of the border. I also needed to stock up on several things at the local stores, Wal-Mart, HEB, etc. My friend also loaded up on several things she need back in SMA, too. The Gateway was in close proximity to all the places that I needed to go to on the Texas side of the border. The price for 2 rooms was about the the same as one room at the Marriott. The night clerk was friendly and even though he was working the graveyard shift was quite pleasant and had a good sense of humor. The morning clerk, Nely, was quite friendly and helpful giving me clear and concise instructions about where to find the places to which I needed to go. The WIFi worked as good or better than most 'free' hotel Wifis that I've used. My friend mentioned that there was no free breakfast offered. I informed her that 'free' really just meant that there was no line item for the breakfast on the hotel bill. Secondly, 'free' breakfasts are often what's called 'Continental Breakfasts' (donuts, sweet rolls, toast, jelly, jams, sugar-sweetened juices, etc); being a diabetic, I can't safely eat the 'free' stuff, and I don't so, the 'free' breakfast is a waste of money for me. (Some hotels' 'senior discount' is really the removal of the alleged 'free' breakfast.) A senior, AARP or other discount is not necessary at Gateway because their price is great.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
TEXAS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

This is the least expensive hotel I found in the area. It isn't pretty but not bad for the price. There is no free breakfast but free hi speed wi-fi worked great. Halls and room carpet was kind of smelly but the bathroom was extremely clean and the plumbing was in good working order. The linen was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I didn't use the A/C but the heater took a few hours to warm the room. The cable TV had all the great channels. This hotel saved me 10 to 20 dollars over other hotels on the same block. Its very close to Super Walmart and the mall and their are plenty of shopping centers and restaurants nearby. This was a decent hotel for a 'one' night stay with plenty of parking for cars and trucks.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
North America
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2006

Driving down I-35 saw their ad on top of the building. Asked to see a room and took it. The fellow at the front desk was quite helpful answering my questions and gave me a booklet to find my way around Laredo.

Room was clean, AC worked well, cable TV was also nice to have to relax with before going to sleep ( No motels/hotels have A/C running when unoccupied).

Price was very good, especially compared to others I saw advertising their prices outside.

I will be staying there again soon.
A satisfied consumer.

For the price you can not expect the Taj Mahal.

• Liked — Close to a lot of things, restaurants, shopping and the border.
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

Checked in after midnite, last vacant hotel available, walking thru the hallway to our room there was no ac very hot and humid, looked forward to a cool room but ac was off, waited one hour before room cooled down, very flat pillows and sunken mattress, clean room but for the price was hoping for better. Will stay only for emergency next time.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!