“Lots of fun for little $$” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 Attractions in Laredo
Type: Educational Sites, Science Museums, Museums
Colorado
6 attraction reviews
“Lots of fun for little $$”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is a pretty good little museum! Lots of opportunities for kids (and parents) to get creative as opposed to just pretend play. My kids and I created cars out of Legos and then raced them against other cars. We also made and decorated rockets using nothing but paper, tape, markers, and our imaginations, then we launched them inside a specially built cage inside the museum using a foot pump to propel our rockets. The goal was to hit targets way on top of the cage, and it was a blast trying to come up with the perfect rocket to achieve that.

I like how the museum staff gets creative in coming up with new exhibits using the limited resources at their disposal. We created chutes on a metal wall using PVC pipes glued to magnets, made designs and shapes using colored plastic on a light table, and created giant bubbles using metal rings and (probably) dish soap. Certain times of the year, they cart in a ton of sand and open up a huge sand play area right in the middle of the museum. As a mom, I hate it (j.k.), but my kids LOVE it.

For a time, my son's favorite display was a room that housed a model train collection that was supposedly donated by a local priest. Sadly, they've since removed that display (it's now a reptile room), but the museum is still tons of fun for kids and parents. There's always cool stuff to do, and on certain days, the staff and volunteers do neat crafty activities with the kids that don't cost extra. All in all, the Imaginarium is an unbelievably good value. I urge you to stop by, have some fun, and help support the museum.

Visited July 2012

Carlsbad, New Mexico
4 attraction reviews
“Imaginarium of South Texas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

A fun cross between a Children's Museum and a Science center. My kids aged 2 and 5 had a blast, but I saw kids up to about 5th or 6th grade having fun. Lots for parents to do together with their children. We will be back!