“Thank God...a Marriott!” 4 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #13 of 35 hotels in Laredo
“Thank God...a Marriott!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Traveling through Texas and preparing to go over the boarder by myself with a car full of items, luggage, and two bikes on the back. I was nervous. I stayed on the ground floor and brought my bikes into the hotel. After dark I was afraid to go out...gun shots out there. It is not a nice town, but the people in the Marriott were comforting. I did laundry in a clean safe room on the main floor. The staff was very helpfully as Marriotts always are. There was food, a bar and anything I needed after dark. On the morning I headed out early with support from the staff and recommendations of which road and bridge to take. The bed was comfortable! The bathroom was so clean and the room spacious. When in Laredo...go where you know it's clean and the standards make tough travel easier. Thanks Marriott!

Room Tip: Go to a floor above the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed here on Sunday, July 15th (2012) on our way back to Mexico. We were very pleasantly surprised and wouldn´t hesitate to stay there again.

It is conveniently located at Exit 2 (I-35 south), just before the Mexican border. The rooms are very modern, clean and comfortable, Internet works (and is free). All and all it was a tranquil retreat (no Highway noise).

The best part for us was that it has a Bistro onsite which serves breakfast and dinner. While the breakfast isn´t included in the room price, it is only $5.00 per person if you prepay. And for that you get a served breakfast and just about anything you want. I had orange juice, a fresh fruit plate, scrambled egg whites with Canadian bacon and coffee. My husband had a more traditional bacon and egg breakfast. There was a huge menu so you could choose lighter or heavier options. I didn´t see the dinner menu but the whole set-up was very classy. They had a full bar and offered appetizers (not sure of the cost). I particularly liked the modern clean décor. Red leather (or leatherette) chairs, some bar stools. The kind of place that doesn´t look like a typical breakfast room, but rather a chic place you would choose to go to even if you weren´t staying there.

From what I could see, the staff were friendly and professional and the place exceedingly well-run.

The cost of our King room was $80 plus tax and the breakfast for 2 was an additional $10.00. To us, it was excellent value. We´d far rather pay $5.00 for a healthy fresh breakfast than get an included breakfast which consists of tired fruit, TANG-type orange juice, donuts, and one of those stupid waffle-makers. Even a step up from that kind of included breakfast (scrambled eggs, grits, and, yes a waffle-maker), doesn´t hold a candle to this custom-prepared served breakfast which gives one a proper healthy start to a travel day.

Tip: Make sure you prepay the breakfast. (We didn´t and it was something like $7.50 per person instead of $5.00 per person). They don´t tell you that.

Room Tip: Perhaps, make sure you don´t face I-35 S.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is a pretty decent Courtyard - nothing fantastic, but no complaints either. I was lucky enough to get one of the few rooms with a tiny balcony which i enjoyed, mostly. I did almost plunge to my death when two pigeons flew up from their roosts in the corner and scared me out of my skin, and the latch did fall closed on one memorable occasion, briefly locking me out on the balcony. Before I rapelled down the five floors using only my belt and bootlaces, I gave a hysteria-fueled yank that popped it open, but be cautious and leave the sliding doors open. The Starbucks in the lobby does breakfast and dinner only; lunch is available for the staff, but not guests, which I thought was interesting. Now, a word or ten about the area...I ventured out on foot to walk two blocks to a gas station. Upon doing so, I felt an immediate urge to either arm myself or return posthaste to the hotel. Not being a quitter, I forged on, braving panhandlers and ladies of questionable virtue and/or gender (it was 2pm, in case you were wondering why I was out at midnight.), and did not get mugged. I highly recommend sticking to vehicular transportation...only seemed really bad on foot, close to nature, so to speak. Apart from that small issue, the location, adjacent to I-35, is easy to get around from and parking was fine. I would stay here if I return to Laredo.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony...don't see many of those these days.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

I choose Marriott for solid comfort and atmosphere for the price. This property has been maintained and felt inviting and clean. Where can you stay under $85 and feel you're not sacrificing? Staff was attentive and friendly. Room was well appointed and clean. The location is convenient. I felt safe for myself and my vehicle. My only complaint is that the wifi was weak--the iPad performed sluggishly. Nevertheless, my stay was fine and I'd book here again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I was a little surprised, and concerned, by some of the negative comments here before I checked in on a Sunday afternoon. Moments later --really, seconds-- I was just fine. This is a normal, current-format upgraded Courtyard. Yes, it's parking is a little tight; no my window doesn't have a view. Still, I'm thinking the negative review was based on prejudice, not fact.

The hotel is completely upgraded; my standard room --less than $100 on my business rate -- is the current format, plent of pictures, dark wood furniture, comfortable bed and flashy linen. The bath was clean and upgraded. Even the AC was turned on at 100 degrees --were they expecting me? The greeting implied the same: had I been in Laredo before? Did I know my way around? Was my business going to expand here? I LOVE those kinds of questions: I found a carwash, used suggestions for dinner and a map, and yes I will be expanding my national chain here.

You are on the border here, folks. That means a blend of commerce and guests: those Mexican national guests are spending money here, tax dollars. Yes, sometimes it gets a little festive --I love that about the Valley! There's a bar (yes, the bartender is seemingly eleven years old, don't order a Manhattan unless it's a joke) and the standard up-to-date lobby. Great rates at an accessible, freeway-side hotel. Marriott obviously appreciates this location, so should you.

Room Tip: The address on "Santa Ursula" is the service road of I-35.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Richardson, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

They have a speedy check-in and sell breakfast for a nominal fee. Their pool is nice to relax in, but tends to have bee's linger by the hot tub.

However the beds are comfortable and one room fit a total of 6 (3 adults and 3 kids). For under 100.00 a night.

Room Tip: if you check in before 12pm you will be billed for two nights.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Lobby could be nice except for the filthy carpeting and strange layout. Parking is not secure. Rooms dirty, carpeting filthy, Internet bairly works and is so slow I just shut off my laptop and forgot about even trying any more. Same for the cable tv, change a channel and wait around 10 seconds to see if the channel even comes on, some didn't. Overpriced for all of this and not worth going back to ever...And I go through Laredo regularly...

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Laredo? Share your experiences!