“Decent hotel, central location, scary neighborhood lurking behind it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Laredo

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Laredo
Memphis, Tennessee
“Decent hotel, central location, scary neighborhood lurking behind it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is a pretty decent Courtyard - nothing fantastic, but no complaints either. I was lucky enough to get one of the few rooms with a tiny balcony which i enjoyed, mostly. I did almost plunge to my death when two pigeons flew up from their roosts in the corner and scared me out of my skin, and the latch did fall closed on one memorable occasion, briefly locking me out on the balcony. Before I rapelled down the five floors using only my belt and bootlaces, I gave a hysteria-fueled yank that popped it open, but be cautious and leave the sliding doors open. The Starbucks in the lobby does breakfast and dinner only; lunch is available for the staff, but not guests, which I thought was interesting. Now, a word or ten about the area...I ventured out on foot to walk two blocks to a gas station. Upon doing so, I felt an immediate urge to either arm myself or return posthaste to the hotel. Not being a quitter, I forged on, braving panhandlers and ladies of questionable virtue and/or gender (it was 2pm, in case you were wondering why I was out at midnight.), and did not get mugged. I highly recommend sticking to vehicular transportation...only seemed really bad on foot, close to nature, so to speak. Apart from that small issue, the location, adjacent to I-35, is easy to get around from and parking was fine. I would stay here if I return to Laredo.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony...don't see many of those these days.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

I choose Marriott for solid comfort and atmosphere for the price. This property has been maintained and felt inviting and clean. Where can you stay under $85 and feel you're not sacrificing? Staff was attentive and friendly. Room was well appointed and clean. The location is convenient. I felt safe for myself and my vehicle. My only complaint is that the wifi was weak--the iPad performed sluggishly. Nevertheless, my stay was fine and I'd book here again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I was a little surprised, and concerned, by some of the negative comments here before I checked in on a Sunday afternoon. Moments later --really, seconds-- I was just fine. This is a normal, current-format upgraded Courtyard. Yes, it's parking is a little tight; no my window doesn't have a view. Still, I'm thinking the negative review was based on prejudice, not fact.

The hotel is completely upgraded; my standard room --less than $100 on my business rate -- is the current format, plent of pictures, dark wood furniture, comfortable bed and flashy linen. The bath was clean and upgraded. Even the AC was turned on at 100 degrees --were they expecting me? The greeting implied the same: had I been in Laredo before? Did I know my way around? Was my business going to expand here? I LOVE those kinds of questions: I found a carwash, used suggestions for dinner and a map, and yes I will be expanding my national chain here.

You are on the border here, folks. That means a blend of commerce and guests: those Mexican national guests are spending money here, tax dollars. Yes, sometimes it gets a little festive --I love that about the Valley! There's a bar (yes, the bartender is seemingly eleven years old, don't order a Manhattan unless it's a joke) and the standard up-to-date lobby. Great rates at an accessible, freeway-side hotel. Marriott obviously appreciates this location, so should you.

Room Tip: The address on "Santa Ursula" is the service road of I-35.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Richardson, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

They have a speedy check-in and sell breakfast for a nominal fee. Their pool is nice to relax in, but tends to have bee's linger by the hot tub.

However the beds are comfortable and one room fit a total of 6 (3 adults and 3 kids). For under 100.00 a night.

Room Tip: if you check in before 12pm you will be billed for two nights.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Lobby could be nice except for the filthy carpeting and strange layout. Parking is not secure. Rooms dirty, carpeting filthy, Internet bairly works and is so slow I just shut off my laptop and forgot about even trying any more. Same for the cable tv, change a channel and wait around 10 seconds to see if the channel even comes on, some didn't. Overpriced for all of this and not worth going back to ever...And I go through Laredo regularly...

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Hotel was very nice on the inside, in keeping with all of the Courtyard renovations. Staff was helpful and friendly. There is absolutely nothing around the hotel though. If you want a restaurant, go about 3 miles north and you'll hit all kinds of options. If you're just stopping before you go over the border, this would be a good place to sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that face away from the highway.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This hotel is a very nice and clean hotel. The staff is very accomodating. I went on a business trip for 3 days and it was very comfortable. The king size bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. The morning breakfast is standard, (i.e. Eggs, bacon, hash browns, yogurt, granola, etc). During the evening, you also get a free alcoholic beverage. The on-site restaurant is not pricey at all. I ordered a hamburger and fries one night and it was a flat $5.00. The only downside was that during my stay, the internet service was extremely slow. The business center is in the public lobby, but the staff are very acomodating when faxing documents, which is behind the staff counter. And the kicker was that they checked me in at noon, when they technically didn't have to check me in until 3:00 pm. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business