“I'd do it again, I think. Maybe.” 4 of 5 stars

Family Garden Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5830 San Bernardo, Laredo, TX 78041   |
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Laredo
Fredericksburg, Texas
“I'd do it again, I think. Maybe.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Too many hotels in too many cities over too many years, and I think I'm getting grumpy about it. I'm ambivilent about this place. The garden is nice, and they have a lot of nice touches, but the accomodations per se were, in my opinion, a little pricey for what you get. The in room table had stools, not chairs. Not good for a working place. There was no chair to sit in to watch TV. So, you lounge on the bed. Bath OK, but hot water seemed absent. It got warm, but not hot. Maybe they're saving money on utilities by not spending the money to heat water. Still, I can see why professional drivers like it, because the garden is nice, peaceful, and well maintained. But when you get to the room, it's not worth $90 a night for a standard room. So, if you want a nice garden, and a nice steak dinner for cheap, give it a try. Also, they provide breakfast food in the morning, so you can get a little value for a banana and a box of cereal, chased with good cold milk. If the utility value ratio of the room is important, and the amenities of your accomodation matter, you'd probably be happier somewhere else. My rating is very good just because it's above average, although not excellent, and I try to give places the benefit of the doubt. I'd stay there again. I think. Maybe.

Room Tip: Anything on the ground opening up to the garden is nice, and preferable to the upper floors.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I'm a truck driver and when I can get here to Laredo, TX it's like a mini vacation. I have been staying in this hotel since 2009. The suites are incredible, and the "Happy Hour" is awesome. Free beer, nachos, lemonade, and hotdogs. The staff has always been decent. The truck parking can be kinda tricky some days, but once I get in, there is almost no reason to leave again. They have a convenience store on the property, laundry, and the Cabana will do room service. The food is fantastic!! I tell anyone who will listen about this hotel. They don't rent rooms to locals, so the pools and spas are not over run with people who rent a room and then invite 30 guests to come party. This is my home away from home.

Room Tip: Any room is a great room, but i like the suites by the cabana the best.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012 via mobile

Like everywhere else in Laredo, the staff is unfriendly with no social skills. Beds are extremely uncomfortable, and no hot water for shower. Bed spread and blankets need replaced. However, the tropical garden is really nice and well maintained.

• Stayed February 2012
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

My job requires travel, LOTS of travel. Over the past (5) Five years I have stayed in just about every Hotel and Motel chain in America from "mediocre 8" and "motel sicks" to Crown Plaza's, Hyatt and marriot's. Family Garden has been by far in LEAPS and BOUNDS the best for the price. HOWEVER, IF YOU WANT TOP NOTCH SERVICE you will need to talk with the Manager JOSEPH. He goes ABOVE AND BEYOND to guarantee that you have a pleasant stay. I have personally stood in the front office many times and OBSERVED some of the FEMALE staff members (UPPER MANAGEMENT) addressing guests and walk-in customers in a condescending, belligerent and down right RUDE manner. Inexcusable considering the travelers were usually in a desperate or disadvantaged situation. I personally had NO ISSUES with the staff members. Most were AWESOME! Chris the night desk clerk was outstanding and again, I CAN NOT say enough about the care and professionalism of the Manager Joseph. That guy is the consummate professional. My room suite was clean, Private patio, Beautiful tropical garden outside my window. Comfortable bed. It was the first time in 5 years I left a project and actually did not look forward to leaving my Hotel / Motel room. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND "FAMILY GARDEN INN" and a GREAT place to stay in Laredo, Texas. Free Breakfast (Not just coffee and doughnuts) A REAL breakfast selection. Free BEER, HOT DOGS AND NACHOS every evening from 6 to 8 PM. The cabana's food is very good and reasonable (Room Service delivered if you choose) Plenty of great shopping and restaurants nearby. close to Del Norte Mall. easy to access from or back to I-35. I would like to thank all the staff members for a pleasant 7 month stay.. (June to Dec 2011)

Room Tip: talk directly with the manager JOESPH, Great DEEP discounts for long term guests. REQUEST A SUITE. T...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011 via mobile

The staff was nice and friendly and answered my questions with a smile on their face! the happy hour (from 6pm-8pm) was worth it! we enjoyed not having to go out since we were so tired and the hot dogs and nachos did the trick. however, we did not appreciate them making our beds while we had our personnel belongings on them. they should have only taken the trash and cleaned the restroom. im not a big fan of strangers moving my things around. you have to watch out for people that "have to much to drink", they can get super loud and crazy. the convience store isnt much to talk about. if you dont find flys, ants, and birds, then the cabana is the place for you! they do need to upgrade the mini fridges and other household items....other than that, i would have to say we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed October 2011
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Nice place to spend a night or two. Extras like Happy Hour above average for the area and the price. Staff is freindly and responsive. I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

first day they gave us a a room that some one was already in there what a surprice i had to go back to get a new one. Second day we had to use the shuttle from them i went the woman known as patty she said she wont move it for a couple of people and that we had to sit and wait in the lobby for other guests just to get that ride i gave her my room number expecting to get a call from the lobby that the shuttle was ready but no! i went down to check and she said that that is a courtesy service making me understand that the service of the shuttle is not for when we need its when every one else is ready to get a ride.In the gazebo restaurant we had a happy hour from 6 to 8 that had free beer and lemonade we dont drink beer so we had that hot and discusting lemonade that from the first shot was in the trash can also that day we order food from there that had a decent price but guess what we order fajita plate and the guy give us a brisket plate yes brisket i went back and he said its fajita and the smeell of brisket was so bad that he end up giving me my money back.and no apoloy for try to fool me the guy on the shuttle service very kind and awesome service he should be on front desk instead i am very dissaopinted on this hotel bathroom was totally small shower for 1 person place look dirty and many other guessts were having lots of clomplaints of many other things. the jacuzzi had so much clorox that will kill anyone with in a hour please be carefull.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Family Garden Inn? Share your experiences!