“Magical atmosphere spoilt by hooligan offspring...” 4 of 5 stars

Top Rated
$57*
and up
The York Pass
Type: Architectural Buildings, Castles, Historic Sites, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Cultural
Activities: Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: Castle Howard is one of England's finest historic houses, set in a thousand acres of sweeping parkland dotted with statues, temples, lakes and fountains. Inside discover world-renowned collections gathered by succeeding generations of the Howard family. Built over 300 years ago, today it still remains a family home.
Banbury, United Kingdom
58 attraction reviews
“Magical atmosphere spoilt by hooligan offspring...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We came to visit the place for a bit of Christmas cheer- and were not disappointed, we ate a lovely christmas lunch prior to visiting the house itself- and tho rather pricey for what it was, went down a treat. The house itself was much warmer than I had expected despite the biting cold outside. I have visited many years ago and recallsome of the rooms which seemed quite familiar.The giant christmas tree in the main hall was my favourite spot- plus a cellist who played repeated tunes- the size of the tree could be gauged by her small frame seated below the tree.The decorations were good- a lot of twigs with baubles in various spots, nice mantlepiece touches and the dining table looked particularly festive as the glasses etc were lovely gold and red.I enjoyed reading about Brideshead Revisited aswell as some of the war diaries within another feature on the walk through the castle- these were particularly interesting. The place was quite busy with an enormous amount of rather badly behaved children- I blame the parents, there seems to be no restraint these days ! they even continued shouting loudly in the chapel which really was uncalled for- where is the respect ? The chapel we found to be probably the best part of then whole place-it is quite charming with wonderfully rich decorations- ceilings and pillars etc- well worth taking a closer look and lingering longer.
The exhibits are not to my personal taste- heavy busts, Grecian and Italian marble etc which although very expensive don't rock my boat however that is the style of the place and that is what Castle Howard is about- there were some very sweet Chinese and Oriental pieces which I do admire greatly. The lighting and the illuminated buggy outside all added more magic and atmosphere to the cold night outside. Worth tghe visit to see what was on offer for the Festive Season- plenty of food shopping available in the courtyard aswell as a gift shop with some offers on. Good time had by all.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Inspiring Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Visited Castle Howard for the first time as part of a pre Christmas break, especially to see the house decorated for Christmas. What a treat! I won't repeat previous desciptions, sufficient to say it was truly beautiful and inspiring - I came home full of ideas to try out! Don't miss this if you possibly can manage a visit.
(Incidentally we bought a gammon joint in the excellent farm shop to have at New Year - lovely).

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“A really magical day. Beautiful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our visit to Castle Howard had been planned as part of a 'different' approach to Christmas, more chilled and relaxed. Even though we are relatively close to the house, and visit the shops and courtyard regularly, we had never been into the house during the Christmas season.

To say that the visit to the house was magical does not do it justice. The lighting, decorations and ambiance was just lovely. Lots of candles, beautiful decoration and stunning trees. So much to see, aside from the historical features of the house and the legacies from filming.

The whole place is special. The food in the fairy light lit courtyard was gorgeous. I cannot overemphasise how 'Christmassy' it made me feel - which on the first day of my holiday was really needed and set the tone.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“A Beautiful Place to visit, we invested in an annual pass to go back again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We visited Castle Howard for the first time on Sunday the 22nd December, what a beautiful place.
Just the drive upto the estate was impressive! There were christmas trees all the way down the driveway, lovely. The price was reasonable for a family of four we bought tickets that allowed access to the house and grounds.
The house itself was decorated beautifully just as I imagined a great house like this should be. The children were asked to find the hippo decorations on the many christmas trees that had been decorated. This encouraged them to really look at the house and trees, my boys loved looking for them. There was a pianist playing christmas music and a cellist it was lovely to listen to them. The staff were very helpful and knew a lot about the house. After visiting the house we headed out into the grounds, there are plenty of walks that allow you to see the many different sights and magnificent grounds on the estate.
My boys loved the adventure play area, I enjoyed a rest and a cup of coffee from the boathouse cafe situated nearby.
We loved Castle Howard so much that we invested in their Annual Pass so we can go back as often as we like.
A wonderful place, with friendly helpful staff, beautiful views and lots to do. We can't wait to go back.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Not just a house, also majestic scenery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

The house and grounds are stunning, even in the wind and threatening rain.
Yorkshire at it's best as the many photos on here testify.