“If you're a fan of baroque-interiors, you will LOVE Castle Howard” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Howard

Top Rated
$57*
and up
The York Pass
Type: Architectural Buildings, Castles, Historic Sites, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Cultural
Activities: Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: Castle Howard is one of England's finest historic houses, set in a thousand acres of sweeping parkland dotted with statues, temples, lakes and fountains. Inside discover world-renowned collections gathered by succeeding generations of the Howard family. Built over 300 years ago, today it still remains a family home.
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
14 attraction reviews
“If you're a fan of baroque-interiors, you will LOVE Castle Howard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Castle Howard is one of those places that is well worth a huge detour. This amazing house with its grounds are truly phenomenal in every aspect. No wonder it was used for the filming of Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. Everything seems to fall into place at Castle Howard; the chapel the Grand Hall, the exterior buildings like the Temple of the Four Winds. Once you've seen this, you will want to come back and check if it really is all still there...

Visited May 2012

“Amazing house set in beautiful grounds & very informative, friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

My second visit & my daughter's first. She really loved the house with its beautiful furniture, paintings, sculptures etc.
Didn't explore the grounds very much, too cold & windy for us!
I can recommend them from my visit last year. Very informative & friendly staff in every room who are only too pleased to answer any questions.
Only negative comment is the cost. £14 for an adult & concession price for a student of £12 doesn't make for inexpensive visit!
I'm prepared to pay £14 but for a student £12 is too much. Even so I hope to return for another visit. Hopefully it'll be warmer & less windy then!
Overall thanx for a very enjoyable day out.

Visited April 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
“Lovely.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

There is little to do for children, but the grounds are nice to walk around and the park at the bottom is good.
The house is lovely, and the guides there were very nice, helpful and interesting. There was some very interesting information about the filming of Brideshead Revisited there.
A really nice day out.

Visited October 2012
Ludlow, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“History Revisited!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Wow! Opulent! Grandiose! Spectacular! Amazing! Exultant! Enchanting! Fantastic! Awe-inspiring!
And various many many other words do not even come close to describing Castle Howard! The house itself is remarkable to be able to walk through that much history in one place in phenomenal! The architecture and decoration that have gone into the house is beyond compare! Then the grounds! Well what can I say other than they have to be seen to be believed! They are quite simply magnificent! My legs are killing me we have walked that much today just to take in the fantastic experience of the place! It made me want to watch both the series and the film of brideshead revisited ( although sadly at £39:99 and £19:99 respectively I think I shall peruse eBay for the DVDs) I would suggest to anyone to come and visit the castle and we have been informed it is transformed at Xmas so we will most definitely come back for that!!

Visited April 2013
stockton
4 attraction reviews
“An absolutely stunning place to be.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Me and my fiancee were on holiday in the area, and we decided to have a day out at castle howard, we spent around about two hours walking round the immaculately groomed gardens, they are endless, in them two hours we probably didnt see a tenth of what was on offer.

The inside of the house is reath taking esspecially the grand hall, i like it a lot that they have kept the house as it is/was and not just filled it with anything and everything just to make a tourist attraction.

The staff are all very helpful and informative and dont make you feel stupid if you ask a question, and they make you feel very at ease and take the time to talk to you not at you.

i will advise though, it isnt a cheap day it cost nearly 30 pounds for me and my fiancee to enter the house and gardens and the shops are a little expensive but i think it is well worth the visit as it truely is an amazing place to visit, i have never been to a stately home like it.
Infact me and my fiancee re already planning to go back i the summer (as when we went it was march and about minus three) and looking foreward to it already.

Visited March 2013