“Beware of WASPS!!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Island on Lake Travis

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lago Vista
The Island on Lake Travis
Lago Vista, TX   |
Katy, TX
“Beware of WASPS!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Wife and I went with our son (one year old). Lago Vista is a nice place to stay. Very quiet area. The Island on Lake Travis is sort of a strange resort. It essentially is an apartment complex on a great piece of real estate. Was told by some staff that about 50% of the unit owners actually live there primarily.

Things to be aware of.
1. You are isolated on the island. Lago is an older area. Older families and residential. So if you are looking for a crazy beer drinking time and "party like a rock star" you may want to look elsewhere.

2. WASPS!!!! As my review title implies. They are everywhere!!! This is a property issue and not an issue of my individual unit owner. I am not over exaggerating. Every piece of recess lighting has them nesting or trying to nest. Every front door light cover has them. Every tree in the courtyards has them. And worst of all every back deck/balcony has them. We had a 2nd story balcony that we were never able to enjoy. As a wasp would "buzz" you every couple minutes. The property manager needs to address this as they really are everywhere. All types of stinging insects are represented. Red wasps, black wasps, bees, and I believe a couple yellow jackets.

Our individual unit was 2213 (tripadvisor I am not sure if including a unit number is allowed so please delete if not). I have to say this unit was very nice. Small one bedroom which is all we needed. Well furnished and decorated. Great location with a corner deck overlooking Lake Travis. However, again the wasps do not really allow you to enjoy this.

They have a little bar and restaurant on site that was nice. Quiet, but I was told it can get rowdy depending on who is renting at the time. My 3 beers did not constitute a rowdy time.

Golf in the area. Two courses are nearby. Lago Vista GC and Highland Lakes. Both have been bought/taken over by the City of Lago Vista as the previous owners let them deteriorate. They are both coming along nicely. Greens were surprising but fairways are not filled in (to be fair they are very open with this info) yet. Both are very short. And very hilly (it is the "hill country") so you can pretty much leave your driver at home.

I hope this helps people. If you are allergic to insect stings, stay away!

Room Tip: #2213 was very nice. Only one bedroom.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

My wife and were very taken back by the location of The Island, It is right in the middle of the lake surrounded by beauty! I had no idea Texas had something like this to offer! Our villa was gorgeous and better than most nice hotel hotel rooms (our friends were a little less fortunate and did not get as nice of a room as we did but they paid less for it). All of the ammenities were very nice. We all enjoyed massages in the day spa and had a nice dinner at the bar and grill. We spent the days lounging by the pool, we played a round of golf at a neighboring golf course, and relaxed by the pool. My wife and I plan to come back again next month for a quick weekend get-away. We will stay in the same villa we stayed in previously to ensure another relaxing weekend away from home.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

This is specifically a review of "The Lakenights Suite at the Island on Lake Travis." The features of the "Lakenights Suite" are detailed on a web site, lakenights.com. The description begins as follows: "Luxury greets you at the door to the Lake Night’s Suite." I was surprised to find only one review on the internet, so I hope this will help others.

The Island is a peculiar yet attractive complex of condominiums on a tiny island on Lake Travis situated a few miles from the center of Lago Vista. It is a relatively remote location, and Lago Vista itself offers only a few stores including a supermarket and a Domino's pizza. One should bring food if one doesn't want to have to drive considerable distances. The Island also offers other facilities such as a pool, workout machines and a bar, which we did not use (the bar is mostly closed in January).

The suite is smallish, about 500 sq. ft. When we arrived, it was clean and in good condition. The kitchen has granite countertops. Yet there is little that is luxurious about this suite. The bathroom, which is not depicted on the web site, has a walkthrough portion between the kitchen and the bedroom where the twin sinks and mirror are located; the toilet and tub/shower are in a separate room off to the side. There is no jetted tub. The kitchen is "full service" in terms of appliances, but there was no sponge, and the dishwasher detergent was caked at the bottom of its container and unusable. There is a tiny flatscreen TV mounted on the wall in the bedroom, and the "bigscreen TV" in the living room is really a conventional TV; there was a remote control but it did not seem to operate the TV. There was a DVD player and some popular video DVDs, but the player itself was disconnected from the TV (a cable was provided for connecting it). There was no list of channels provided for the cable connection. The free Wi-Fi was spotty.

In short, the suite was nice but a bit lacking in the details to make it a really nice accommodation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

The reviews were so mixed on this place and because I also wanted to avoid "guesswork and no facts" (to quote someone below) I decided to go see the place before renting there. I contacted the Island on Lake Travis rental office and spoke with someone who must have been new because she could not tell me any details about specific condos or even whether there was a deposit required. So I told her I would come that afternoon to see the place and asked if she could find out the answers to my questions by then. Sadly upon arrival I found she had done nothing whatsoever to research the simple standard issues I raised. When I went to see the place I was a bit shocked by how "tired" and run down the place is. We viewed two condos - both very small and neither of which were clean and/or ready for occupation. One smelled rather foul. In one condo the walls were so badly marked and the carpet so old and badly stained I really wondered who would actually stay in a place like that. I then asked about Interent service and was told that there was Internet throughout the whole building. When I tested it I got no signal in either condo and then the agent changed her story to, "I know at least that it works down by the pool". This was rather entertaining as it was pouring down rain at the time.

Overall this place is quite nicely situated on the lake and the pool area looks OK. However "The Island" is very inconvenient to any realistic shopping or good restaurants. There is a place that passes for a supermarket about 7 miles away but if you actually want anything decent you need to go about 21-24 miles away to Cedar Park. The resort is very 'tired", not very clean and is really suffering from a general lack of maintenance all over the place (even the front gate was not working properly on the day I was there). The photos for one of the two condos (Unit 1104) which I viewed were very misleading ( read: very old).
The agent told me she was going to get back to me on a number of issues. Not surprisingly I have never heard from her again and frankly that is just fine as I would never consider staying here. This is not a place anyone looking for clean, good quality and functioning accomodation would ever want to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Quincy, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

We wanted to elope and have a sunset wedding by the lake while we were in Austin. We had contacted Nature's Point and they wanted $1500 even though we were not having guests. So we had found this place, which looked beautiful and was right on the lake like we wanted. They said that we could do the ceremony for free on the grounds, they would just ask that we book a night. So we booked a rate over the phone. I had asked for the cheapest room they had and ended up paying $218, which included a $50 cleaning charge that was never mentioned.

After having to change our reservations twice at last minute (surprisingly, they didnt give us any trouble abbout it), we arrived at 7:30 pm that evening. We stayed in unit 1125. It was very nicely furnished with contemporary furniture. We did seem to notice a smell. When we went to go to the bathroom, there was poop and pee floating in the toilet. When we flushed, it was obviously clogged. It took two hours for maintenance to come and unclog it. He said that he had been in there earlier today and didn't see that it was clogged, kind of hinting that it was us that clogged it!! So we figured that was where the smell was coming from.

We decided to look around a bit, opening closets and cabinets and such. In the kitchen there was a lot of utensils, dishes, and pots and pans. Seemed like all the necessities you would need. The closet in the bedroom had 3 extra pillows and extra linens. There were plenty of towels in the bathroom. The tub was jetted, and there was a seperate shower.

When we looked in the air conditioning closet, there was a VERY ROTTEN BLACK BANANA AND A TWINKIE! It was so disqusting and covered with mold. We left it there because we were not going to touch it. The next day we told the lady at the office about it and she said that she would have the manager call me about it, but my call was not returned like some of the other posters said. (She finally called back after I asked them again to have her call me when we were checking out. After I insisted some kind of compensation, she refunded the $50 cleaning fee which obviously is a joke since there are so many issues with the cleanliness of the rooms.) Also, I left a message with the spa for an appointment but my call was never returned, not even after we had checked out!

We ended up staying another night so we could get dressed for the wedding ceremony. There was no problems with the wedding ceremony thank goodness. But we did notice that there was a very bad smell by the lake like a previous poster said. We werent sure what it was but it was nauseating, so it very well may have been sewage!

Our room was right next to the pool and the gate on the pool needed to be oiled; it was squeaking all night!! Not to mention banging shut, but that is beyond the hotel's control. Also, our patio had a great view of the pool and the lake but there was no patio furniture at all to sit on and enjoy the view. They should require that as part of the room. I know they are individually owned but still, it should be a minimum standard.

So, all in all, there were just too many issues for how much they charged. I don't know if I would stay there again.It was beautiful but not up to standard. I would probably try another resort or hotel on the lake. This one had no swimming access as previouly said.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Wow! There is sewage pouring our of the back of the cliff area that is totally sicking. It was unbearable to stand near the lake while the sewage is pouring out right next to you. I actually became sick, I beleive, because of the fumes.
Also, the place is really a retirement home pretending to be a resort. If you are an old lady and want to sing "The lady is a Tramp" all night long in the "grill" then this is your place! What a stinker! I can't begin to tell you what a waste of money this place is. Take your money somewhere else please. This place is stuco, bad layout and planning, SEWAGE dumping into the lake, old people singing Karoke all night, and no swimming access at all to the lake.
By the way, I have no idea where they got these photos, but the place looks 30 years older in person.
AVOID!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
bonzo1953, Owner at The Island on Lake Travis, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
This person wrote things that were based on guess work and no facts. I think before I send something out that degrades someone I would make sure I had all the facts.
First of all the Island was built in 1985 and created the most economical and environmentally friendly cooling system. It runs water through a loop system that for the AC is cooled with water from the bottom of the lake. This water cools the water in the loop system and then once heated the water is cooled down and returned into the lake at the same temperature so not to create thermal pollution. All of our sewage is pumped into the city of Lago Vistas treatment plant.
Now what does happen is that the water in the lake at a curtain time of the year turns. This happens yearly due to thermal conditions. There was a article about this in the Austin American statesman where it will even kill fish. What happens in our part of the lake there are sulfur pockets and our pumps will bring that smelly water up from the bottom and it is release through our water falls which is also part of the water cooling system. Hence the very bad small which usually happens once a year.
At the south end of the Island there is a spot the gradually goes into the lake. Not only will people take their large 5 person rafts down there and float but along the lake side there is a gradual sloop that has various sizes of cliffs to jump off of.
The bar…on Fridays we have a local crowed that comes in a lot. The crowed varies depending on the night. I was in there last Saturday and there was a big wedding party and I can tell you there were no old people singing.
Again it is a shame that people can post things on this sight with very little info. As for the pictures let me know and I will send you pictures anytime and I can and will not doctor the pictures. You are talking a down economy and our condo’s are selling very fast if you are looking to sell. Most peole are holding and renting.
Now I am going to say we have not had our issues with housekeeping but when you go from 25 rentals to 80 in a short time and every condo you have is rented with a waiting list from the beginning of June through most of august, it was a challenge but we are getting better.
Anyway I should not get upset but I feel we work very hard to make our customers happy.
Thanks
Doug
Owner of Island rentals.
Austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We reserved unit # 1104 through the Island on Lake Travis's website. The photos on the website made the unit look sparkling and fresh. It did have nice tile floors in the living room and kitchen, and granite countertops in the kitchen. But when you got past that, it was disappointing.

The unit was in need of a deep, thorough cleaning. The carpet in the bedroom needed replacing badly. We reserved a unit that had a sleeper sofa in the living room. Yet, there were NO linens or blankets available for the sleeper sofa. No sheets, and no pillowcases. There were 2 blankets wadded up in the bedroom closet that we opened up to find hair and brown stains on. NO THANKS. So my husband, myself and our 10 yr old son had to share the king bed. I called the office numerous times but only got the voice recording. I left one message to call me about another matter, but no one ever called me back.

The trash can in both the kitchen and the bathroom had a step mechanism to open and close them. Neither of them worked. So no way to open them except to grab the lid with your hands and open (they wouldn't stay open because of the hinges). So nasty. The dishwasher was FULL of dishes. They had been washed, but I'm supposed to put them away so that I can put our dirty dishes in it? I didn't come on vacation to put away someone else's full dishwasher full of dishes.

Moving on to the balcony that overlooked the lake. Great view, but could not be out there for even 1 minute due to the swarms of hornets and wasps. The walls were covered with wasp/hornet and mud-dobber nests. They really should have someone who goes to the balconies and removes the nests so that those areas are habitable. The outdoor furniture was so filthy I would not venture to sit on it, if the balcony was free of flying insects. The outdoor table was filthy with grime from drinks or food and fingerprints. The mosquitos were horrendous. The door and windows that overlooked the balcony were so filthy with greasy fingerprints that you didn't want to look out them.

This property needs to put more effort into its cleaning and maintenance, and make sure that all linens are provided. When you pay for a condo with a sleeper sofa, you need to be able to use it. And what linens are there need to be freshly laundered and ready to use.

This property is in a nice location with a great view of the lake. It has a pool area that is very aesthetically pleasing. This property could be so much more, if the units were maintained in a better fashion. Not worth $500 for 2 nights!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Island on Lake Travis? Share your experiences!