“Delicous food but a little pricey.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mainly Drinks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 60 Restaurants in La Porte
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Mainly Drinks serves what its name implies and so much more! We are a full-service restaurant serving lunch and dinner six days a week. We also offer gourmet coffees and teas, micro-brewery ales and beers, and boutique wines.
Houston, Texas, USA
“Delicous food but a little pricey.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We treat ourselves to dinner here about once every two months. We'd go more often but the prices are really high. The food is amazing. My favorite is the cajun seafood pasta. It's a little on the spicy side but I like spicy. The beer & wine is very reasonable & makes up for the food prices. If you're a beer or wine enthusiast this is the place for you. They also have free beer & wine tasting every Thursday night. There is also live music on the weekends. If you become a rewards member here they send you great coupons every month. We received a $15 off coupon this month. I would definitely recommend Mainly Drinks.

Visited February 2014

La Porte, Texas
“LaPorte now has a place with class”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife and myself have eaten here several times and it is absolutely delicious everything is cook with expertise they are polite locals eat here it has a nice dining rooms i plan to eat here a lot more in the future, Finally a place in LaPorte we all can be proud off.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Planet Earth
“Loud, lousy service, and Overpriced for What You Received”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

A group of ten visited this establishment last Friday evening. A reservation had been made well in advance so the excuse of not being prepared doesn't fit this visit. We arrived at 7:30PM on time and a table was ready with water and silverware. This is about the most positive thing I can say about the rest of the evening.
The noise level was such that it was impossible to hold a conversation unless you yelled. We waited for over thirty minutes for a wait person to appear and when he did there was no introduction just handed out the menus and promptly left. After another ten minutes or so he was back and I asked about the wine and was told if I wanted a bottle I could select one off the wall. The wall where the wine was located was blocked by other diners so there was no way a person could go to select a bottle of wine. If this truly was an upscale dining establishment a wine list and a knowledgeable server would have been much better. I asked for a Malbec and was told they had a house Malbec but he couldn't tell me anything about the wine. I ordered a bottle along with another diner who ordered a Reisling. After another delay the wine was brought to the table, no presentation just unscrewed the cap (no cork) and pour. No opportunity to taste or see if it was acceptable. I know this will sound nit picking, but in an upscale dining establishment a server would recognize the difference between a white wine glass and a red wine glass. Not here one size fits all. From this point the evening just went down hill.
After another long (and very noisy) wait two servers came and took our orders. It was now 8:20PM almost an hour after we arrived and finally our food orders were taken. The selection on the menus was adequate and a variety of items were ordered by our party. No one ordered appetizers as it was so late but again if this was truly an upscale restaurant there should have been some rolls, French bread, and butter on the table. NOTHING! The water glasses weren't refilled, a server never came by to refill wine glasses nor did anyone come by to inquire if we needed anything. Very poor management.
At 9:15PM our food finally arrived, this is one hour and forty five minutes after we arrived. Of the ten people dining only one was satisfied with their entrée. Two people had ordered steaks and they were overcooked. Two others had ordered gourmet burgers which were served cold along with cold French fries. One diner had ordered Chicken Marsala and couldn't eat it as it was so over spiced, I had ordered a blackened shrimp salad. The presentation was not good, just a bunch of lettuce in a bowl with four over salted shrimp that were inedible. The dressing was supposed to be a chef's cilantro/lime. What it tasted like was bottled Green Goddess. Very poor quality and presentation all around. The diners with cold food didn't send it back, mainly because you couldn't find anyone and it was getting later all the time. I would like to say something positive about the food, but really can't think of a single factor that would want me make return to this place.
Desserts were ordered for the table and were edible but again nothing outstanding. The beignets were more like a Sopapilla but still edible.
As to the live music that was offered, it may have been very good but the noise level was so high it couldn't be heard. As we left I did hear a fellow singing and it sounded like it would have been enjoyable.
I don't enjoy writing a review like this but in all honesty this is an accurate description of my experience. Whether or not it is the normal level of service is something I'll never know as I don't plan to return to this establishment. I would also encourage anyone who reads this to realize that my opinion is subjective and what I found to be objectionable may be another person's "cup of tea."
For the prices this place charges you should expect a much higher level of server competence, far better service, and food that is properly prepared and presented in an attractive manner. None of this happened and I could have had this same service at less than 1/2 the price charged by Mainly Drinks.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
La Porte, Texas
“Great New Years Eve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We enjoyed a price fixed menu with wine pairings dinner on New Years Eve at Mainly Drinks. The patronage was a more mature crowd. While the atmosphere was lively, it was not to noisy.

The meal was wonderful with my wife having a tenderloin to make your momma cry and my crab crusted halibut was well cooked and tasty.

I enjoy eating in non-chain restaurants and Deb has created a wonderful place. We will be going back to check out what I have been told is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak around.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Deer Park, Texas, United States
“Great Local Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Wonderful Menu and great music.
Walk the Wall to find that great bottle of wine at an amazing price!

• Visited December 2013