“Jewel of the Hill Country” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sage Hill Inn Above Onion Creek

You added Sage Hill Inn Above Onion Creek to your Saves list
Sage Hill Inn Above Onion Creek
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   4444 W FM 150, Kyle, TX 78640 (Formerly The Inn Above Onion Creek)   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Kyle B&B and Inns
Boerne, Texas
“Jewel of the Hill Country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We celebrated our 35th Anniversary this weekend at Texas' finest Inn--Bar None!! 5-Star accomodations, breakfast and dinner were first class! Amy and her staff's continued "Excellence" are a shining star for Texans to be proud of! I have stayed at two of the top 10 rated Inns in the U.S. and the IAOC's matches their service and outstanding customer service!

Room Tip: We love the Rooms with the Sunset View!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Natchitoches LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Pros: Great property, lovely Hill Country setting, great views, good pool, room was well appointed, spacious and comfortable, with a great bed. Outstanding internet, good tv, books in room. Just a pretty and comfortable room, and I think we had the least expensive room.

Also, a knowledgeable and efficient staff made for a relaxing spa experience.

Bathroom roomy and comfortable, high end toiletries, nice furnishing (but see cons). My wife really liked the walk-in closet. Food was delicous, seriously good meals, portions adequate for most but just adequate. I didn't leave hungry, but since dinner was at 6:00 p.m., I had to hit the (excellent) dining room cookies later in the evening to make it through to breakfast, which was also excellent but with just adequate portions. At both meals, the men at the tables were cleaning off their wive's plates. At breakfast though, you can fill in with self-serve granola (home-made), fruit and muffins.

Cons: And these are very minor quibbles, but the shower was a wrap around curtain around the claw foot tub but curtain wasn't secured with weights or magnets so when you took a shower, it wrapped itself around you. It was like trying to take a shower while a wet sheet kept trying to wind itself around your body. Second problem was the low flow shower heads. I understand that Texas has had a terrible drought the last two years, but I've never seen such a low flow head. The water seemed to completely mist out about two feet from the shower head and it took forever to get the shampoo out of my hair. Perhaps a little less low flow would be good.

An interesting minor quibble was the service (or lack or service) in the dining room. The kitchen staff brought out food with zero interactions with guests, just plates replaced with mechanical efficiency. There were pitchers of water and tea on tables, we brought our own wine and so there wasn't a need for wait staff, but as a guest, it felt more like a mechanical process, more like dinner service on a low end cruise ship, than dinner/breakfast at a higher end resort. No one came by the tables, no one asked if we needed anything or if we enjoyed our meal. I'm sure that I'm wrong on this, but there was a little of a feeling that the staff was in a hurry to get us fed so they could clean up and leave. An odd note in an otherwise excellent experience.

Let me stress that it was an excellent experience overall. If I found myself back in the Hill Country, I would choose this inn again--although I would probably pack in a few midnight snacks.

Room Tip: This would be perfect for a romantic get-away. You can spend a lazy day at the inn or you can plan...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed @ IAOC for 4 days/3 nights. We choose the "Hayes Room"! The room is so nice, very comfortable bed (AC works greatttt), nice huge bathtub, very large double head shower that has a view out to the hill country. This B&B has such a friendly staff. The breakfast & dinner was amazing. Gourmet food that exceeded our expectations every time! My husband is a meat/cheese only guy, very picky. I was nervous each am/pm when the menu was up, I assumed he wouldn't want to try something out of his comfort zone. But he loved everything we ate. We also enjoyed a couples massage(my husbands first) it was awesome! Both the girls did a wonderful job! Can't wait to return to this B&B!

• Stayed September 2012
Katy, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My hubby and I stayed here for Valentine's day and man...WOW!!! The property is quiet and beautiful even in February when the wildflowers aren't out yet. We took a nature walk. We enjoyed chocolate covered strawberries in our room. We watched movies which we were able to check out from their library. Dinner was a really neat experience because you are seated with other couples at a large table and you get to know the other guests and it's neat to hear where everyone is from. The chef is awesome! Breakfast and dinner were fabulous! We cannot wait to go back! We loved using the fireplace!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was our third trip to the Inn and we hadn't been there in several years. I am thrilled to report that it was even better than ever! The food, the property, the staff...totally top notch!! We were there to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and really just needed to get away from the routine of life. This was the perfect place to do it.

We arrived on Friday and stayed in the Nance Suite - which is such a wonderful way to spoil yourself. It has beautiful views from all windows, a huge tub and shower, king bed, and a small private deck with chairs. It also has it's own small kitchenette and that was nice for storing wine, water, and snacks. Although, be sure to take advantage of the kitchen, which is open to guests 24-hours and has coffee, tea, water, soda/juice and the BEST lemon poppyseed cookies!

We had arranged a private dinner in the library and it was a lovely setting to enjoy a fabulous meal of salmon complete with one of the best chocolate cakes we have ever eaten. it was decorated for our anniversary with "Happy 25th" and the remainder of the small cake went back to our room with us for snacking. I would highly recommend doing the private dinner one night, as it just made our trip very special. But, we also enjoyed meeting the other guests the following days. The food, overall, was fabulous. So fresh and just lovely meals. The homemade sausage was the highlight of breakfast. Don't forget to take your own bottle of wine!

We walked the many trails each morning. Due to the drought, it is very "brown", but we still enjoyed being outside. And, I imagine it would be lovely in spring. Many guests were doing yoga on the porch and several commented on the great spa. The pool has a shaded end and is the perfect place to enjoy a drink and cool off.

Wimberly is just a short drive for great tourist shopping. And, several wineries are within driving distance. The Inn has a rack of brochures with maps.

Enjoy your time at the Inn. We'll be back next time we need to recharge the batteries.

Room Tip: We have picked a different room each time. It's fun to see how unique each of them are. Next t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Just returned from our 3rd visit to Inn Above Onion Creek. Amy and her staff are still doing a fantastic job. If you are looking for peace and tranquility in the beautiful Texas Hill Country, this is your location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

That's the comment Amy (the inn keeper) left us with after she showed us around. What a great place. The food was delicious, the rooms comfortable and the guests treated wonderfully. We stayed in the Tolson Suite which had a big queen and a single bed, which was perfect for my friend and me. Had a fire place, small living area with kitchen table (microwave and fridge). I liked the snickerdoodles that were available in the dining room, along with tea, water, coffee, and sodas.

We each had a massage, which was the only strange thing. They put us in the same room for the massage. It worked ok, because I've known my friend for ever, and I assume they wouldn't put strangers in the same room. Just a little surprised, though the services were wonderful and priced well $150 for massage and facial. Can't beat that price.

I would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tolson, but a couple that was staying there on their anniversary said that the Nanc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sage Hill Inn Above Onion Creek? Share your experiences!