“Spacious, Well-appointed room. VERY Slow Wi-Fi” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Breakfast Included
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Killeen
Wichita, Kansas
“Spacious, Well-appointed room. VERY Slow Wi-Fi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Since I am usually traveling alone with three young children while my husband is deployed, it is always a relief to find a hotel like Residence Inn. We generally try to find a Springfield Suites (also owned by Marriott).

Everyone was very friendly. The breakfast was good, offering both hot and cold options. When I called ahead of time to get a baby bed, the bed was in our room upon arrival (unlike our stay at La Quinta Inn where I had to haul it to my room by myself). It is very handy having a door separating the sleeping area from the living/kitchen area. I was able to set the baby bed up in the living area, turn on the vent fan for the microwave (which is excessively loud) to block out noise/provide white noise and close the door so the baby could sleep uninterupted.

The bed is a little hard but it wasn't excessively hard.

My largest (and only) complaint, and it is a pretty big one (probably stopping me from staying here again) is that the Wi-Fi is painfully slow. In the evenings, after the children were asleep, I was hoping to watch a show via Amazon Prime on the iPad. Unlike most television/movie watching programs, a wi-fi signal has to be present. The show was 44 minutes total and it took me nearly 2 hours to watch it. I kept losing signal and having low signal strength. I have traveled quite a bit and done the same thing at many hotels and have never had this problem. I would highly recommend that management upgrade their wi-fi system if they are advertising "free wi-fi".

Also -- thank you for offering a military discount to families such as ours. It is greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: If you have allergies, choose a room on the 4th floor. Most pet owners prefer to be on the bottom fl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Richard B, Manager at Residence Inn Killeen, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Hello, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear your stay went well, I do want to say I am sorry the WIFI was slow that day, we have recently updated our speed as of 4-19-13. So, when you travels take you back to Killeen we hope to see you then and I promise that 45 minute show will only take you 45 minutes to watch.

Thank you once again for the nice review, Rich.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed there with my boyfriend for a week. The staff were very professional and nice. The rooms were comfortable especially the big King size bed! overall it was a very comfortable stay and i loved the big hot tub and sauna! would definently stay there again! well worth the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard B, Manager at Residence Inn Killeen, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your input, I am glad you enjoyed your time here at the Residence Inn Killeen. We hope to see again soon!
Ridgecrest, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We flew in Thursday in time to enjoy the Manager's Cocktail Hour, which included AYCE appetizers, beer, wine and soft drinks. We were surprised to see the appetizers were hot and delicious, more like a dinner than a snack. Sadly, this event isn't offered on the weekend, though the free breakfast is available daily and was quite delicious with both hot and cold choices. This hotel offers a military discount, which is handy and appreciated.

The room was large with a nice kitchen. We took advantage of the coffee pot every day and used the refridgerator for snacks and soft drinks we picked up during our stay. The mattress seemed quite hard and my husband complained of waking a little achey each morning. We've stayed in many hotels and this is the first time I thought a mattress was too hard.

A DVD player is available at the front desk and you need only ask. There are also a number of DVD's available to watch, but we didn't get any so I'm not sure if there is a rental fee. My husband is in the middle of Insanity and was considering bringing a couple of the DVD's, but we could never get through to the front desk prior to our departure to find out if DVD players were in the room. I'm sure our downstairs neighbors appreciated his not doing those exercises each morning.

If I were to have a complaint, besides the hard mattress, it's that the rooms take a little too long to get cleaned. We left one morning to explore, have some lunch and do a little shopping. We returned to the room around noon and it still hadn't been cleaned. Within the hour, the maid knocked and asked if we wanted service that day. Since it would have meant leaving the room again just to have her clean, we chose to skip it. The room was cleaned on the other days, but it was never attended to until well into the afternoon. We like coming back to our room for a nap or refreshments and this is the first time I've experienced a room being cleaned so late in the day. I always thought that the rooms which were vacated were cleaned last and those with guests not yet checked out were cleaned first. I guess I'm wrong in this assumption.

Other than that, the hotel is clean, quiet and well-staffed. Everyone we came in contact with was pleasant and polite. For the mattress issue alone we may not choose to stay in this hotel again. There are many hotels in the immediate area, so next year I may try the Fairfield.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel overlook a field and you avoid freeway noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard B, Manager at Residence Inn Killeen, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Hello thank you for the favorable review, I am glad you made it in time to experience our Managers Social. It is a guest favorite and it is great to hear you concur. Next time your travel takes you to Killeen, just let one of our team members know you would like to have your housekeeping service in the morning and we will make it happen. Good luck to your Husband in regards to his training, we can make a few adjustments to try to soften the mattress for him next time.

We appreciate you detailed feedback and will certainly use this to be the best we can be. We hope to see you again in the future - Rich.
Troy, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here for about a month when I was working at Fort Hood as a government military contractor. The rooms were very spacious and all the furniture and accessories were quite modern. I love that they had a security guard (who was actually a police officer) patrolling the halls at night just to make sure things were safe. There were a couple of times when I would be kept up very late a night by the sound of children on the floor above me running and screaming up and down the halls. I called the front desk to complain and within a matter of minutes the noise stopped and the security guard actually came to my door to apologize for the noise and handed me a card with his work cell number so that I could call him directly if I experience another problem. The housekeeping was also wonderful and did a great job straightening my room and even loaded and ran the dishwasher for me on the days when I was a little slow getting ready and didn't have time to do that before rushing off to work. The only negative aspects of the hotel were a loud air conditioner that would click on and off very frequently at night, and fact that it is located on a very busy one-way street so getting to and from the hotel was sometimes a frustration.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here on TDY. I would recommend this hotel for military travel. Free breakfast and a great evening dinner. The room are the standard roomy residence inn rooms. The breakfast was ok but the dinners are a great Tex-Mex meals

• Stayed November 2012
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The rooms are not the most recently updated of the Residence Inns I have stayed in, but they are clean, comfortable and spacious with kitchenettes that make you feel more at home -- like all Residence Inns. The pool area is small but nice. The staff is friendly, and the hot breakfast, dinner and drinks in the afternoon, all being included in the room rate, are a huge perk. Of the hotels in the Killeen/Ft. Hood area, this is by far the best all around. One thing I will say: my hotel room was so loud at night I had difficulty sleeping and was frequently woken up by the air conditioning, which was close to the sleeping area. Being in Texas in the summertime, I didn't fuss about it. I would happily deal with that over the other (sketchy, disgusting) hotels in the Ft. Hood area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Killeen? Share your experiences!