“Friendly staff” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Friendly staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is an average hotel;however, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast isn't anything fancy, but it offers fresh fruit, a variety of cereals, waffles, yogurt, bagels, toast, and mini-muffins.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Kalamazoo, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Very nice hotel. Room was very clean, breakfast was good, and staff was nice. Internet wasn't very fast and I had to go in the lobby to use it. They were VERY accommodating with a later check out because my fiance is in the Army and got stuck at work. The location is nice but there isn't any places walking distance from there for food, etc.

Room Tip: We chose one higher up and further away from the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband, 11 yr old daughter, 12 yr old son, and myself all traveled in to Killeen for a Geekfest 2012 convention at the Central Texas College. We booked our room in advance, according to good reviews online, for two days. Unfortunately, our experience wasn't as good as some that have written in.

Upon our arrival, we entered to find an empty front desk. There was a sign that stated the clerk would be back in 5 minutes, but we weren't sure when the sign had been put up (just now, or 5 minutes ago?). We were running a bit behind on schedule due to heavy traffic coming into town for about 40 miles in. So we were in a bit of a hurry to get in our rooms, changed out, and off to our destined location. I decided to run back out to the car and just load up our belongings to bring in while I waited. As I come back in, the clerk was back and readily available to assist us. She apologized for her absence and after I provided proper ID and payment form, she handed us our keys and we were on our way.

We entered our room, and it was clean, the room was cool, and everything was in working order. We changed out, and left for our destination, but while we were on the way, I realized I'd not checked my bank balance that day. We had our room rate at a special deal in conjunction with the college event for $69.00 a night. When I checked my account, I had a pending debit in the amount of $200.00. So I called the hotel to find out why so much money and why such a strange amount (200 even?), when I got a hold of the young lady that checked us in. When we booked our place, I asked about extra charges. I was told it's the room rate, nothing more, unless we chose to add costs to our room. We never do use any of the services of hotels, so hearing that it's the flat rate of our room and nothing more, I'd planned my budget accordingly. This time, I get an entirely different story. I am told now that they hold a $45 incidental charge on the room. So my expected bill of $155 changed to $200. Normally this is no big deal except that my bank HOLDS the money for several days before finally releasing it back to my account. So in a sense, it's "gone" from the weekend, and several days into the week before that money I had figured into my budget is available again.

During my time of trying to get the young lady to explain to me exactly how much the incidental charge was, she become defensive and argumentative. I had to tell her, "Honey, I'm just trying to understand what my finances will look like for the rest of the week. I'm not trying to upset you. So if you can just tell me the total amount you are holding for incidentals, that would be lovely." She finally then cooperated. I am not really impressed with the idea that I have to emotionally babysit someone who gets upset because they think I am attacking them by asking them why there's an extra fee, what it is for, and exactly how much it is. So that experience right there put a sour taste in my mouth.

While we've stayed at hotels before that have an incidentals charge, we're ALWAYS made aware of it up front; especially when I ask. I do not appreciate that I was misinformed and caught off guard with the hold on my account. However minor the inconvenience, we moved forward with our weekend. We arrived back to our hotel about midnight that first night, as we were thoroughly exhausted. We all took our showers, but first thing I noticed was that the water pressure for the hot water side was very weak. I like to take hot baths when I am sore from walking around all day, and it really took a long time to get the tub to fill up. Not only this, but the water had a stench to it. It smelled exactly like a wet dog. I thought maybe it was just me, but the rest of my family later complained of the same odor as well. I don't know if that's the city water or what, but wow. It was gross smelling. I just hoped that I didn't smell like that when I got out of the tub!

Finally, we were ready for bed about 1am, and when we all started to settle in, we realized that the bed had only a sheet and a comforter which was extremely thin. It was raining outside, and so it was cooler than normal for an August day. Add to that fact that we were all wore out, and we were pretty cold. We had the room's a/c turned off, and still we were all shivering. So my son volunteered to go downstairs to the front desk and pick up four blankets for us. Two per bed, so we could stay warm. He was gone for over 10 minutes, and come back up with only two blankets. I asked what happened and he said, "They told me that only have two blankets." How does a hotel that is only half ways full only have two blankets? I don't know, but that's what we slept with.

Needless to say, it was a miserable sleep. The beds were very low to the ground, and not in the greatest shape. I've slept in many hotels and I have to say these were some of the lower end of all the beds I've slept in. Our whole family tossed and turned all night, shivered from the cold (we turned on the heater, but it didn't seem to work right at all), and awoke at 6am with sore backs and we were just outright tired. That was bad considering my husband and I had a gaming demonstration to present that day at the convention.

We ate breakfast, which was standard that morning. Waffles that you make yourself, boiled eggs in a storage container, packets of oatmeal, three choices of raisins, wal-nuts, or brown sugar to add to your oatmeal, bananas, oranges, pre-packaged muffins, bagels, bread to make into toast, three choices of cereal, 2% milk, orange juice, apple juice, coffee, packets of hot chocolate you make yourself, tea bags, and light yoplait yogurt or activia yogurt. I was disappointed that the yogurts were all light/sugar free stuff as I cannot eat aspartame, so I skipped that much. I just had oatmeal that I spruced up with raisins, wal-nuts, and brown sugar, a bagel with cream cheese, a banana, a boiled egg that I heated up, and some orange juice. The rest of the family had waffles, and liked it.

We left, did our convention thing, and returned to our rooms about 10pm that night. Again, we were even more exhausted than the day before. We needed to shower again, as it had poured rain all day and we were caught in it several times for extended periods. I stopped by the front desk and asked for more towels and two blankets, to which the night clerk promptly produces four towels and one blanket. Why so stingy on the blankets? I don't know. She said she only had one, and so my son was sweet enough to give that one to his father and I so we could shiver less. He ended up putting on his jeans and sleeping in them to keep warmer.

We awoke at 7am this time, but it was because we could hear lots of doors slamming and people talking. When I went to sit up, my back was miserable. It hurt so much from the bed, and my husband was right behind me in waking up with a crumby back. I went to the restroom and saw I had dark circles under both eyes and bags. My kids woke soon after and also had dark circles under their eyes. None of us slept well at all. The beds were just too uncomfortable and the room was too cold. So we decided to call it done, and we went downstairs, ate breakfast, and got ourselves dressed and out of there.

Will we stay at this hotel again? Not likely, unless there are new beds, thicker blankets, or at least layers of blankets, or the option to receive more blankets as you need, and up front notice about extra charges. Aside from this, they are my only complaints, but big enough ones to impact my decision on coming back to stay or not. To me, sleeping well is very important when you are paying for that specific service. If I had been the only one out of the four in my family to not have slept well, then I'd have just chalked it up to me being out of whack that day or something. But all four of us slept horribly, and that speaks volumes to me.

Room Tip: Request rooms far away from the elevator as it's noisy. You can hear the dinging of each floor t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

After staying for three weeks at the Residence Inn, which is the Marriott property 100 yards from Fairfield, I decided to give Fairfield a shot. Overall, not bad, for longer stays I liked having the full kitchen at the Residence Inn, but the internet at the Residence Inn was absolutely horrible, hardly usable, the internet at the Fairfield was easily 3 x faster, I was able to skype with the family, watch netflix, whatever I needed to do. So, for a short stay, and if a decent high speed internet access is something you are looking for, I would choose this place over the Residence Inn. Also, beds more comfortable here than at the Residence Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at the Fairfield in July 2012 for one evening. We had a king bed, on the top floor.
The hotel is very nice and seems brand new. Everything seems like it was built; fresh paint, new carpet, very nice all around.

We did not use the pool or gym facilities, but they looked nice through the window.

Would definitely recommend this property to anyone needing a place to sleep in Killeen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Probably one of worst hotel experiences. I'm here on TDY for the Army and I'm working on the night shift. My first issue is the housekeeping comes in the room REPEATEDLY without knocking wether or not you have the do not disturb sign up. Yesterday she came in and started cleaning the bathroom while i was asleep on the bed. So today I put the safety rail lock on to try and keep her from coming in and of course what does she do but sit there banging the door back and forth over and over again. I've tried talking to her to see if she could come by later or just skip my room and she got all mad fussing at me for not adhering to her schedule for cleaning. When I asked why she kept coming in even when I had the Do not Disturb sign up, she repo sed with "well I'm supposed to clean it sometime. So if you leave that up all day I have to come in anyway." My next issue is that they put me in the room right next to their breakfast kitchen and every morning the little Korean lady that makes breakfast starts banging pots and pans around in the industrial metal sink that is attached to the other side of the wall right beside my head creating unbelievably loud clashes and bangs while I am trying to sleep. I've tried talking to her about it and she doesn't care about making loud noises because she just gets paid to clean up after breakfast and then goes home. I tried talking to the staff about it and they say theyre going to talk to her about it but 4 days later I'm still waking up at 9:30 every morning to her doing dishes. Lastly, this hotel is straight price gouging. We are supposed to be getting our rooms at the government rate which right now is $77 here. Well we have a large group so we filled up most the rooms so they decided they couldn't accommodate us all so we had to double up on rooms. No big deal, I can understand that. But what they end up doing is still charging each person $77 so essentially both occupants are paying for they're own room but are being forced to room together. Thank god the army is paying for this crappy hotel. I would have checked myself out a long time ago.

• Stayed June 2012
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I would have to say this is the best Marriott here in Killeen, since there are literally three of them in the same block, just under different names.
I didn't want a kitchenette, hate the smell, so your good here at Fairfield. The gym was great, I could always get in, no issue. The pool this last summer needed work, so it was always empty, but of course, may have been due to 20+ kids swarming the place the night before.
I like the location, easy to get in and out, to where you need to go. Overall, not quite my caliber, but hey after all its Killeen, and I'm on the governments dime.

Room Tip: I like it on the 3rd floor, near the end of the building, less traffic, less kids.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn Killeen? Share your experiences!