“Hill Country Retreat Can't be Beat!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center

You added Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Junction Highway, Kerrville, TX 78028 (Formerly Inn of the Hills River Resort)   |
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Kerrville
Von Ormy, TX
“Hill Country Retreat Can't be Beat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Inn of the Hills in Kerrville, Tx on November 25, checked out 26th. This place was not only a lovely, classy place to stay over, but well-served with great staff and blessed with large, clean rooms. Our Saturday morning was graced by a fantastic buffet breakfast. This place represents the $79 I've spent on lodging in a LONG time. Thank you very much, Inn of the Hills!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Lytton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

The hotel could use updating however "Texas Friendly" in the staff offset the mediocre accommodations. Don't expect lavish surroundings but do expect very good to great service. The staff at the front counter, restaurant & bar were extremely friendly & and willing to go the extra mile if necessary. Buffet food is seldom spectacular however the Mexican food buffet on Thursday evening was very good! On weekend mornings, have a freshly made omelet to your liking - great. If you get the chance, order the "Marvin Burger" from the menu. You may get to meet Marvin the Chef (especially if you can eat the entire burger!)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Certainly Inn of the Hills (IOTH) is a bit dated in its look and feel, but given the present popularity of MadMen and PanAm on TV, you'd think that 60's nostalgia would be the perfect attraction. To walk through the well kept IOTH hotel and grounds is to be transported to a time when people mingled and families arrived in Kerrville for the vacation of a lifetime. Sadly, demographics have changed...but this hotel remains.

The management of IOTH really strives to make your stay enjoyable and easy. The hotel has a fabulous breakfast buffet (included in some rates), especially yummy on the weekends. Included in your stay is access to a fitness center with bowling alley and two indoor pools, just 300 ft. from the IOTH. The hotel grounds are inviting and outdoor pools are lovely - one is right down on the river. There are plenty of good walks down to the water or to nearby restaurants and shopes.

The value is found in the total package. The AAA rate we got was fantastic...there is also a Shreiner Univ. rate - we got two rooms darn near for the price of one at a "chain" hotel. Stay in the rooms down around the rock pool - or in the upstairs part of the 6-room cabana in the middle of the property. Rooms are being remodeled. Our room was small, but opened out onto a patio that we absolutely loved. Being built in the 60's, the construction is solid and the hotel is very quiet. Beds are firm. Room appointments are comfortable.

So stay at the IOTH. Step outside, pour yourself a stiff drink, and watch the kids play. Live it up like your parents did - You're at a resort!

Room Tip: Aim for the rooms near the rock bottom pool. Soothing background noise and lovely patios. Ask abou...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
We would like to thank you for your time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I am pleased that ou enjoyed our hotel and all of the amentities. You noted our remodeling, the rooms you were in are starting on November 29th. The new appointed rooms are beautiful. We are now also installing flatscreen TV's in all of the rooms as well. Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I agree that the hotel could use some modernizing, but that was part of its charm to me. I stayed for a weekend with my girlfriend and had little to complain about, but also little to be wowed by. The buffet was really underwhelming but no hair or cockroaches, just bland and limited options. The bar in the hotel was actually lots of fun and it's a hot spot for older couples in town to come in full thrift store cowboy outfits and two step, which was entertaining. It's close to lots of sights and tourist spots in Kerrville as well as a hop skip away from Fredericksburg. I wouldn't turn anyone away from this hotel but I wouldn't tell them to expect perfection either.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for your time and comments. As noted, on some previous reviews we are remodelling. The new rooms are so beautiful. During the remodelling we have focused on the basic refreshment of the other rooms.We do have some entrees occasionally that due not lower in sodium as this does allow the guest to season to taste. We do this for some of our local heart healthy patrons. Our daily lunch and evening buffets do have the delicious carving station with our slow cooked brisket and includes our featured prime rib on Saturday nights. The hotels bakery provides a very luscious dessert selection and breakfast paistries cooked fresh daily. The Inn Pub is alot of fun and we do have an excellent dance floor. You may want to look into the honeyroom suite next time as it has a wonderful large heart shaped jacuzzi that can enhance a romantic getaway. Once again, thank you for your review and look forward to your next visit.
Hulls Cove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Very clean and cozy with TWO reading club chairs, a large, comfortable bed, and old-world charm, my room was a joy to return to each of my three nights I stayed this time. The dining room staff was warm and cordial, seating me graciously each morning and responding enthusiastically to any request I made. While I didn't use the pools this visit(cold snap), I have other years and find the one down by the river delightfully private and free most of the time. Ease and relaxation rolls in within hours of stepping through the large, roomy lobby doors. Whenever I visit my friends in Kerrville, I always stay here. I will again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
We greatly appreciate your review and are very pleased you had such a wonderful stay. I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful staff. We all believe service comes from the heart and we all have big hearts. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit and perhaps we can visit at that time.
Needville, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Inn for a weekend. Well, where do I begin...
it is run down, the rooms are musty and continental breakfast ??? We were never offered a continental breakfast. The lady at the check in counter seemed flustered and desperately needed help. This will probably be our first and last stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Thank you for your time to write a review regarding your stay last weekend. Your comments are very important to us as we use them for training and motivating our crew. We are currently remodeling our rooms. We do have some dated rooms of which are scheduled for renovation. At this time, there is several rates that include the full breakfast buffet, continental or no breakfast at all. This is very confusing to both staff and guest. We will be including a full breakfast buffet with every room to solve this confusion.It is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs next time you are in the Kerrville area. Thank you for your review.
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Inn of the Hills over labor day weekend and had a great time. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary. Unfortunately, with 2 kids in college, we couldn't afford the most expensive hotel in Texas, but wanted something memorable.

The Inn of the Hills worked very well. We had stayed her years ago, so we had some idea about what to expect. We were not disappointed. If anything, the hotel is better now than it was before.

We stayed in the best room we could afford. Which means we stayed in the cheapest room available. It was still plenty nice. It had been newly remodeled and was very quaint. I appreciated the rock feature wall, the antique wood ceiling, and the quiet room. We never heard our neighbors, and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The only downside was the small bathroom, but that is common among hotels of this age. (I asked and the desk says the hotel was built in the 60's)

In the morning, the full breakfast buffet looked very tempting, but we ate at the continental breakfast and found it very adequate.

Everything was clean and attractive. The pool area is especially nice.

They also have a second pool down by the river. I've used it before, but not on this trip. It's a nice pool that has a view and is rarely busy. The river area also has 2 lighted tennis courts, but they were locked up when we checked on them.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to just about anybody. Couples will find it memorable. Families will find it a destination all to itself. Others will find it a convenient jumping off point for much of the hill country.

One other plus: Everything you need is within walking distance. That includes several restaurants, a grocery, a Wal-mart, a health club (included with your room) and plenty of recreation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
We want to thank you for your time to write a reveiw regarding your recent stay. We are very proud of our renovated rooms. We are not finished yet but moving right along. I am so pleased you chose our Inn for such a special occasion and it was a very memorable one. Thank you again, we will look forward to your next visit to the Kerrville area.

Been to Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!