“Country cooking at its best!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Country cooking at its best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This country cafe is truly in the country, about 7 miles from downtown Kerrville on Harper Road (4 miles from I10). The drive is worth it for classic country fare such as chicken fried steak, meatloaf and fried chicken. Sides include mashed potatoes, fried okra, fried onion rings, green beans and sweet potato fries all prepared with a southern touch. Cornbread or a roll and two sides come with each entree. All baked goods are made in their bakery and include wonderful meringue pies. They serve breakfast until 11 am and salads, sandwiches and the "main event" until closing. You can order half portions of several of the sandwiches and entrees, including the chicken fried steak. The cafe is busy with locals and repeat customers but the service is efficient and friendly so tables are usually available. They are open from 9am to 3 pm on Sundays and closed on Mondays. Tuesday through Saturday they are open from 8am to 8 or 9pm. As you pay at the cash register don't forget to get some of their home baked cookies to sustain you for the drive home.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Billy L, Manager at Cafe at the Ridge, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for your fantastic review, Mimiz504! We truly appreciate your thoughtful recommendations. We love to put our Southern touch in everything we do, especially our good ol' country cooking. We hope to see you here again in the future! Best, The Cafe at the Ridge Family

San Antonio, Texas
“Good Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Trail's End Guest House in Kerrville, Texas, for a one night stay and needed a meal a couple hours after our 4PM check-in. Café at the Ridge was on a list of restaurants at our cabin, the Sleepy Time Cabin, and we were attracted to the Cafe's ad line, "everything is made from scratch." So we punched the address in our GPS and headed out. We were rewarded with a beautiful country drive to a very neat looking restaurant. Café at the Ridge even has its own bakery. The night we were there, the bakery had a jam session going own. By the way, the Café does sit on a ridge with a nice view of the country side. We walked in and were politely greeted. The greeter invited us to select a table. I ordered the 10 ounce ribeye ($15) and my wife ordered the mix grill ($14). Each order came with two sides. We both had a salad and I had mashed potatoes and my wife had sweet potato fries. The waitress brought out the salads within a couple of minutes after ordering. It was that fast. The lettuce was crisp and cold and made the salad extra special. The meal itself took a little longer because everything is made from scratch. My mashed potatoes were mashy, chunky, had the skins, and were delicious. The ribeye had a little bit too much gristle, but otherwise was very good. My wife said her mixed grill was delicious. For dessert we had to order something the bakery cooked up. So my wife and I split a $4 piece of chocolate meringue pie. Positively rich and delicious. Café at the Ridge is a little gem a few miles north of I-10 and the town of Kerrville. It's worth the drive and effort to get there. Great staff and very good food!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Billy L, Owner at Cafe at the Ridge, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hello Stu1945, Thank you for your great review! We're thrilled you and your wife decided to try us and that you both enjoyed yourselves here. Thank you for your recommendation, and we hope to have you here again if you're ever in the area! Safe travels! Best, The Cafe at the Ridge Family
Kerrville, Texas
“Mixed Feelings about the Cafe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I lunched with a group of friends today. Since we were five in our group, I made a reservation the day before. When we arrived, there was no table marked as reserved for us. The Cafe was very full. We found our own way to a table in back that worked for us.

Although it was busy, I still considered the service below average. We were trying to order drinks. My friend wanted the Strawberry Ale on the beer menu, and I ordered wine. The waitress tried to tell my friend that they only had beer and wine. Strawberry Ale IS a beer and on the menu. Duh? New girl? My friend got her beer. She also had asked for a glass half full of ice. Go figure; she likes iced beer. It took about 20 minutes, and several reminders to get the ice. It was annoying that my friend had to wait so long to drink her beverage the way she likes it. In fact, she even got up once to look around to see if there was an ice bin and glasses to get her own. I noticed that, when we asked for something like more tea or water, the waitress said OK, and then stopped at several tables to take orders as she went to get our tea and water. In most of the places in which I dine, the waitress would pause at a new table to acknowledge the people and say something like, "I will be right with you," and serve those there first.

Now for the food. One friend had the quesadillas and said they were delicious. Another had the Tomato Wraps with Fried Green Tomatoes and liked them very much. The Chicken Feta salad was a hit with another. Two of us had the Chicken Salad Sandwich (1/2 portion). My friend liked hers, but I was greatly disappointed. It was average and dull. I know of at least 2 places in town whose Chicken Salad is far superior. I know now not to order Chicken Salad here. Three of us had the Sweet Potato Fries and they were very tasty.

On to the desserts. Three of us ordered the gluten free chocolate cake. Two liked it; I did not like it at all, and I am a confirmed chocoholic. Maybe it was the gluten free, but I thought it had a VERY peculiar taste. The waitress exchanged it for a slice of the carrot cake, which I already knew was awesome. The owner stopped by our table, perhaps because he was told I was not happy. I appreciated that.

I imagine our group will eat here again. We meet monthly for lunch and rotate around to favorite places in the Kerrville area.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Billy L, Owner at Cafe at the Ridge, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for your review, Cowgirl10_10. We’re sorry to see that you had mixed feelings about your recent experience here at The Ridge. We’re happy you enjoyed most of your food but we apologize for your wait and slow service. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to help make our staff better suited to serve our customers during busy periods. Again, thank you for your review, and we truly hope you’ll consider having your monthly lunch with us again soon. Best, The Café at the Ridge Family
Austin, TX
“Hidden Gem - Good Food, Reasonable Prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Went to this little off-the-beaten-path spot today for breakfast and to visit the garden center next door. My daughter-in-law kept hearing good things about the place so we had to try it. The food is all homemade including scrumptious looking desserts. Had sourdough French toast which was very good and at $5, it was a great value. Also tried the biscuits and gravy, which I usually don't eat as it's too heavy, and it was really tasty. Our server was so helpful, bringing us samples of their homemade jams (which of course we just had to buy!). Also bought a baker's dozen yummy cookies for only $5. The garden center next door has beautifully landscaped grounds with a rustic touch and a small but cute retail shop. Their clerk was extremely knowledgeable and personable. Gave us some great tips on planting; we plan to come back in the fall to see what new plants they have then. Well worth the extra few minutes to go there as it's only 4 miles off IH-10 toward Harper.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Billy L, Owner at Cafe at the Ridge, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for your review and recommendation, Jackie! We're so happy to see you enjoyed your time here and were able to explore all of what The Ridge has to offer. We can't wait for you to come back in the fall to check out our new plants. We hope you'll bring your appetite and visit the Cafe while you're here! Best, The Cafe at the Ridge Family
Highland Village, Texas
“Dinner with a View in the Hill Country”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

When you have an extended family spending the afternoon together, and no one wants to cook, finding a place that meets everyones food preferences can be challenging! My mother lives in Bandera County, and she suggested Cafe at the Ridge. It was close to an hour drive, but the Hill Country at this time of the year made for a beautiful drive.

The cafe sits at the top of a ridge, overlooking the surrounding hills, and the gorgeous landscaping. If you plan a large group, we had 17, be sure to call ahead to give them the staff time to get tables together. I don't think the cafe gets large groups for dinner. One side of our joined tables was served long before the other side received their dinner. Hopefully, the management will think to call in extra servers when they get a heads up for a large group. Although our server did well, she did get a bit overwhelmed by the number of our group, plus covering four other tables. Thankfully, there was some entertainment to occupy the children as we waited for our dinner. A duo with harmonica and guitar was setting up for their performance throughout our dinner.

The menu has a variety of entrees that met the needs of everyone. If you like fried okra, be sure to order the okra fries--they're cut lengthwise, are lightly salted, and nicely crunchy. Homemade rolls, corn bread, and biscuits come with the entrees, and are served with real butter. Several family members ordered the chicken fried steak and said it was good, as evidenced by their empty plates. The kids were happy with their menu choices, and everyone saved room for dessert. There are several homemade pies, a variety of cinnamon rolls, and cake.

Don't worry if you ate too much before making the long ride home, step outside onto the back porch and take a stroll through the beautifully landscaped property.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Billy L, Owner at Cafe at the Ridge, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hi Brenda, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review – we really appreciate your feedback. Thanks for coming in and spending the evening here at The Ridge with your family – we’re very honored, especially since you drove an hour to get here! We’re happy to see everyone enjoyed their meals and left room to indulge in our yummy bakery desserts. We do apologize for your wait, but we’re glad you were able to enjoy the live entertainment in the meantime. We are currently in the process of hiring more experienced staff as we grow so we can more comfortably accommodate large parties like your family. We hope you consider bringing your family back for another evening at The Ridge to enjoy the scenery, food, and company. Best, The Café at the Ridge Family