“Perhaps one of the worst customer service expereinces ever!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Big Texas Inn to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Big Texas Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2105 Sidney Baker St, Kerrville, TX 78028 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #12 of 13 hotels in Kerrville
Texas
“Perhaps one of the worst customer service expereinces ever!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

I visited the Motel last Friday July 31st traveling with my young 7 year old son. We were picking up my daughter from camp HOH the following Saturday. We were placed in a room that was occupied as were several other guests that had checked in that afternoon. After being made to wait to correct that error, we found the new room to be filthy with paper thin doors and a musty stench. Coincidentally, we had to leave almost immediately due to an emergency, and the Motel refused to refund our money. Although, we had been there only minutes---long enough to endure being place in an ALREADY OCCUPIED room---made to wait for a new dirty room, we were told the owners refuse any refunds and if the manager would request one, he would be terminated. I was further explained by staff that they did not understand how the credit card machine worked and that they would have to wait until Tuesday morning to talk with the owner to explain the process, and that at that time a refund as possible. As of Tuesday August 4th, when I called, the manager was sill unclear of how to proceed and was told that the owner had not yet considered the issue. I asked him to please expedite the request as the total for services NOT rendered was over $200. He told me if he did, he owuld be terminated. If you own the Big Texas Inn, please ask your store manager for my telelphone number and call me right away for my refund. I will be calling again shortly myself.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Linen supplies were overwhelmed by heavy occupancy. One day they took all our towels and left us with a single hand towel. Apparently they had to strip the rooms, wash the linens, then TRY to remember to re-stock rooms! Desk staff was friendly and apologetic, but couldn't seem to improve the linen services. Front door is locked from midnight to 8 a.m., even though that is the closest exit to the breakfast facility -- probably a nightmare for the fire marshall! On a positive note, plenty of hot water, TV worked, pool was clean, and room was reasonably clean. No WiFi in rooms, but it works well in spacious lobby area. Adequate but not luxurious accomodation. Probably would be ok for a one-night stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed 1 night while visiting Kerr WMA. The room was adequate although a little musty and warm. The hallways felt very enclosed, ceilings too short. Then came their famous steak reataurant touted on their website, what marketing! I ordered a 6 oz. filet, the manager/waitress brought me 2 pieces of meat which I assumed were the 12 oz portion. The smell when she set my plate down in front of me was the worst! It was a burnt/rancid smell and I was not sure what part of my meal it was coming from. Well it was the steak and my husband also verified the horrible steak.
the manager offered to bring me a sirloin, but I did not want her to do anything else. She discounted my meal as if I had really ordered the 12 oz. I was just glad to get out of the restaurant without getting sick. The next moring their continental breakfast consisted of coffee(you have to turn on the pot yourself) bagels with no creamcheese, cereal, milk, juice, jelly, butter that was liquefying. When you visit Kerville please just keep driving past this motel!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Hill Country, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

My wife and I have stayed in this facility twice before when the name of it was the Econo Lodge. It has been renamed apparently under new ownership and management. The place was a good value before, but now it's even much, much better. We stayed three nights, and the room was always clean and the service was great. The rooms are large and always comfortable during these hot Texas days. Even better now is the restaurant. It's excellent. We had the Sunday buffett for $12.99; the food selection offered a good variety of main and side dishes, and all of the food was the best we've ever had a hotel/motel restaurant. And when you compare the Big Texas Inn room rates with those of other facilities on the same street or across Kerrville, you'll find that the value of what is offered at the BigTexas Inn cannot be beat. The other places prices were much higher. We return to Kerrville each year for the Kerrville Music Festival, and we will always return to this place. It's a very nice, comfortable place to stay.

CBates

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

WE LOVED IT!! We stayed there and we only live 20 miles away lol!! This hotel has had some MAJOR restorations done. We booked this place for some friends of ours that were visiting and we ended up booking another room for ourselves even though we live in the area lol!! We had a FANTASTIC TIME!! The staff was so accommodating from our arrival till our departure. Their rates were really under priced in my opinion (which is a HUGE bonus!). We booked a package that included a spacious hotel room, HUGE and delicious steak dinner, and a painkiller cocktail at their nightclub Texaritas all for under a benjamin!! This place was a blast! There was a motorcycle group that was staying there and we had a great time getting to chat with them at the nightclub.

The motorcyclists told us that one of the main reasons they booked the Big Texas Inn was because it was a nice property with a steakhouse and nightclub but also because of the exterior access/entrance/exit to most of the rooms. They are from the city so security is a big deal to them (being from the area I know they actually had nothing to worry about lol), but they could park their bikes right outside their rooms and if they wanted to peak out and check them they just had to pull back the curtain or open the door.

We belong to a classic car club and we will definitely be recommending Big Texas Inn, in Kerrville, TX to our travel coordinator!!

The next day after our new friends embarked on their daily ride through the Hill Country we laid out by the HUGE pool. It was so clean and inviting but it was closed b/c they had to balance the chemicals. THey assured us it would be up and running w/in the week. Unfortunately we and our friends could not extend the stay.

We have a lot of visitors for both friends and business. We will definitely be exploring some sort of agreement with them to host our guests!! In fact next weekend (last weekend in May) we have some associates coming in for a meeting. THey assured me the pool would be open and I booked the same packages! And did I mention they had free Wi-Fi? So we can all do Go to meetings with our corporate headquarters without ever leaving the property!! WHo says you can't mix business w/ pleasure lol!

This place if perfect for a quickie weekend getaway, romantic wknd for two, business traveler, budget traveler, couple, group, conferences (they had a big banquet room that I will try to book for our yearly conference!, friends, families, or anyone for that matter!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
DFW Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Our motorcycle club has been traveling all over Texas and surrounding states for years. We take several trips a year and have dealt with dozens of hotels.
This hotel was the worst experience we've ever had.
We called and spoke with Co-Manager Ashley in February 2009, asking to block a group of 20 rooms for April 17-19. We negotiated a per night rate for our group, and she was made aware that each person would be calling individually to make their own reservations. We agreed that to be fair to the hotel, the unreserved rooms from our block would be released back to the hotel on April 1 - BUT this wouldn't happen automatically. We were told the organizer making the arrangements would need to call and release the rooms or ALL the rooms in the block (regardless if they were individually reserved or not) would be charged to the organizer personally.
This was all negotiated over the phone. No contract was signed, and no other written policy was communicated.
Each person called and reserved their room, using the block and the rate that was reserved for our group. When inquiring about the cancellation policy, some individuals were told 24 hours notice was needed, while others were told the cancellation deadline was April 1.
March 31 the organizer called and released all the rooms in the block that were not individually reserved.
Our trip was scheduled for April 17-19. Earlier in that week, it was evident that we were to have really bad weather Friday - the travel day for our group. Several members decided not to go because they didn't feel safe riding that distance in the rain. They called the hotel mid-week and asked to have their reservation cancelled per the 24-hour cancellation policy. They were told the cancellation policy for the group was April 1, and that their credit cards were already charged back on April 8! 10 days prior to our arrival date! As stated above, we have dealt with dozens of hotels in our travels, and this was the first one that didn't allow individuals to cancel with a 24 hour notice.
To the hotels credit, they did extend a credit to be used for a future stay.
Our group had a total of about a dozen rooms. During our stay, several examples of poor quality and service (in addition to getting charged for rooms of people that couldn't travel) included : days where we didn't get maid service - including no clean towels (when calling the front desk we were told some of the staff hadn't reported to work that day and the towels were still being washed); 1 room had a broken curtain fixture and the curtain had to be shut in the door to keep it closed; the hotel claimed to have recently renovated, but several people that had visited the hotel last year said the only renovations they noticed were new furniture in the lobby and a new restaurant/bar area; the cereal and bagels that were served for breakfast were stale; most rooms didn't have hair dryers, even after being told each room had one.
Our motorcycle club will not be visiting this hotel again. And we have made other motorcycle clubs in the DFW area aware of the problems we had. We hope this post will keep others from having a similar experience.

• Stayed April 2009
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

What a great place! We were only going to stay one night, but wound up extending a day. The employees were friendly, THE BAR WAS AWESOME, the steaks are great. Great room, great service! They have really turned this place around. A+++

• Liked — This place is a blast! Steak dinner and cocktail included with the room!
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Big Texas Inn? Share your experiences!