“"Romantic"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clipper House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kemah
Clipper House Inn
You added Clipper House Inn to your Saves list
710 Bradford Ave., Kemah, TX 77565   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Kemah B&B and Inns
“"Romantic"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

My girlfriend and I came here for a much needed romantic weekend getaway. We stayed in the Mont Blanc. The cottage is their smallest but it was very cozy for the two of us. Once in our cottage we found fresh pastry and a fruit basket and a bottle of wine with my girlfriend's name on label and saying Happy Birthday(also a belated Birthday gift trip). We took the wine tour, which was great, and were given our cheese tray and wine sampling that was all part of the stay there (ended up buying three bottles of wine). Barabara was an excellent tour guide. She told us about a great seafood restaurant, that was right on the water and served excellent seafood. The next day we enjoyed dinner at Tabella (the restaurant that is on the grounds), which was amazing. All in all a great weekend. On Saturday we did not need to drive any where. Everything we needed was within walking distance, including the boardwalk. We are going to make this a yearly get away.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Yavondalon K

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have booked the room at the last minute and enjoyed it. I stayed with my husband and two other friends. The challenge is great for one couple and two other people/ kids. In the description they say that they can pull a portable bed. But, it would be very intimate. I don't suggest you to stay five!!
When we arrived it was after 5 and inkeeper was already gone. But, she was so nice and gave me the directions that we could go in our room easily. It was very clean and cake and fruit were tasty.There is no breakfast other than the fruit and cake as well as coffee which you can make in your own room. We expected some breakfast but not a big deal!! The doors are little hard to open. We thought that the door opening to the alcove area was locked but actually it was just stuck.
The garden area is very well kept. It is really relaxing. There is a winery and restaurant behind the inn that we enjoyed different wines. There is also the steak house owned by same people. But, we didn't try. We found two discount coupons for free appetizers in some restaurants on the board walk. We were craving salt and went to Red, a sushi restaurant. It was a great experience and we had our free appetizers there.
Overall I would suggest Clipper Inn for your trip to Kemah. You will have the real experience of board walk and still be away from the noise!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Meltem B
Magnolia, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

My wife and I decided to go to Kemah for the evening and celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. Upon arrival we were shown to our cottage and found homemade bread and a bottle of wine with our name printed on the label to celebrate our aniv. It was a fantastic evening and the Clipper House was relaxing for us both. It is so close to the Boardwalk. We hope to go back and do this again. We would like to go and actually take the tour of the winery which we did not get to do this time

1 Thank Fiberman1959
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Clipper Inn. We stayed at the Romance Cottage and were greeted by Barabara and Jerry with a nice smile and hello. If you are looking for a romantic oasis surrounded by a great and entertaining night life, this is the place for you. We were provided a bowl of fruit, as well as home made wine bread while we were there. The full body shower was a nice surprise, and the complimentary wine tasting and tour were a great addition to the experience. We plan on returning to the Clipper house Inn and encourage anyone looking for a B&B to take advantage of this unique setting.

2 Thank OUHDSOFHO
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Before I booked this stay, I read a good portion of the reviews and we were very excited about staying here. Needing a close to Houston getaway, it seemed to be a great option. Unfortunately, we quickly felt like we were being ripped off. We stayed in The Flying Cloud. I was not surprised by the "old house" smell, because it is an old cottage. However, there were many disappointments with the room.

First - the goods - walking distance to the boardwalk and water. The tasting room at the winery was a nice way to begin our stay, the 2-person Jacuzzi tub (although buttons were missing and the stopper didn't work without a manual cover).

The bads -

Due to the weather, we stayed in the first night.. unfortunately, we learned the "satellite tv" only carried local channels. Normally, this would not bother me, but their website claims satellite.. just because your signal comes from a dish does not make it better than digital rabbit ears if you only provide local channels. We also read online each room had a DVD player and ours did, however, it did not work. The internet connection was also a problem. It was definitely not high speed and the wifi signal would drop or not maintain connection consistently. Since the innkeepers are not on the property except to check you in and out, we could not get assistance until the next day. The weather improved so it became less important. But when you pay $250 a night for a room, you expect things to work.

The room only had 2 pillows, and they were very big and hard, so big, I couldn't use mine for sleeping. The bed was too soft and I woke up both mornings with a back ache. They have an old coffee maker, cream is not fresh. In the fridge, they supplied 2 sodas and 2 waters for our stay. This is extremely minimal, and I consider this bordering on fraudulent to advertise. Having traveled extensively (20 + countries), we both are accustomed to bottled water in the room, so when I read online that sodas and waters are complimentary, I expected more.

The breakfast part of the B & B is practically nonexistent, a couple of pieces of cake and days old fruit. Not exactly sure how they can categorize themselves as a B & B. My bet is the Holiday Inn provides a better breakfast from 6-10am. We ended up going to IHOP up the road for breakfast and another stop for coffee at Starbucks. It would have been great to enjoy some breakfast and coffee on the covered porch had they actually provided something worthy to be called breakfast. Additionally, window panes on the covered porch were broken, so it made it very cold and windy. I can imagine how mosquito infested this will become in the summer.

As far as the service goes, well, there was little to no service whatsoever. The room was not cleaned while we were there, not even to empty trash. beds were left undone and towels were not refreshed. The innkeeper did bring in 2 pieces of wine cake. If this was meant to be the next day's "breakfast" it was an extremely poor attempt. Additionally, the website states a breakfast basket would be delivered to the room each morning. I'm not sure the innkeeper was even on site the first morning of our stay.

When asked about the problems with the room, the innkeeper, Barbara, responded with "we don't do that because of the cost". Really???? What on earth are you spending your business' income on? It's certainly not your guests, that was very clear to us, which leads me to my last and most important "Bad". I expect much better service and actual amenities when I spend that much money for a room. We will not be back and I will share my opinion of this establishment with others planning to stay in Kemah.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank HT0917
Pasadena, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I love the Winery so we decided to try the Clipper House for a relaxing couples get away. Barbara was very helpful in making the reservations and when we arrived she filled us in on the accommodations and the restaurants she enjoys. The rooms were clean, the bed in "The Elissa" was very comfortable and the towels and robes were very nice. All the accomodations (TV, fridge,Jacuzzi,coffee pot, etc...) were in good working order with directions for use, if needed. The fruit and coffee were fresh, the cakes were absolutely the best (I could have enjoyed a lot more of the “wine cake”)! We love their wine so we loved the wine tasting and the cheese tray. Everyone was helpful and friendly and they just left us to rest and enjoy ourselves. We both left feeling refreshed and decided staying at the Clipper House is something we definitely will be doing again! Jim and Nancy.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Very nice B&B. The suites are spacious and warm. The location is fantastic (walk to all with plenty of options to eat, drink, and play)! The owner, Barbara, is so sweet. She goes out of her way to make you feel at home. She makes wonderful (homemade) breads and sweets. She gave us a great lead on where to buy Cowgirl rain boots (in a seed store in Fredicksburg, Texas). We went where she said and got the exact ones she spoke of. Barbara went out of her way to help us. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Nice kitchens are in the suites.