“32nd Wedding Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clipper House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kemah
Clipper House Inn
Save Saved
You added Clipper House Inn to your Saves list
710 Bradford Ave., Kemah, TX 77565   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Kemah B&B and Inns
Magnolia, Texas
“32nd Wedding Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

My wife and I decided to go to Kemah for the evening and celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. Upon arrival we were shown to our cottage and found homemade bread and a bottle of wine with our name printed on the label to celebrate our aniv. It was a fantastic evening and the Clipper House was relaxing for us both. It is so close to the Boardwalk. We hope to go back and do this again. We would like to go and actually take the tour of the winery which we did not get to do this time

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Clipper Inn. We stayed at the Romance Cottage and were greeted by Barabara and Jerry with a nice smile and hello. If you are looking for a romantic oasis surrounded by a great and entertaining night life, this is the place for you. We were provided a bowl of fruit, as well as home made wine bread while we were there. The full body shower was a nice surprise, and the complimentary wine tasting and tour were a great addition to the experience. We plan on returning to the Clipper house Inn and encourage anyone looking for a B&B to take advantage of this unique setting.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Before I booked this stay, I read a good portion of the reviews and we were very excited about staying here. Needing a close to Houston getaway, it seemed to be a great option. Unfortunately, we quickly felt like we were being ripped off. We stayed in The Flying Cloud. I was not surprised by the "old house" smell, because it is an old cottage. However, there were many disappointments with the room.

First - the goods - walking distance to the boardwalk and water. The tasting room at the winery was a nice way to begin our stay, the 2-person Jacuzzi tub (although buttons were missing and the stopper didn't work without a manual cover).

The bads -

Due to the weather, we stayed in the first night.. unfortunately, we learned the "satellite tv" only carried local channels. Normally, this would not bother me, but their website claims satellite.. just because your signal comes from a dish does not make it better than digital rabbit ears if you only provide local channels. We also read online each room had a DVD player and ours did, however, it did not work. The internet connection was also a problem. It was definitely not high speed and the wifi signal would drop or not maintain connection consistently. Since the innkeepers are not on the property except to check you in and out, we could not get assistance until the next day. The weather improved so it became less important. But when you pay $250 a night for a room, you expect things to work.

The room only had 2 pillows, and they were very big and hard, so big, I couldn't use mine for sleeping. The bed was too soft and I woke up both mornings with a back ache. They have an old coffee maker, cream is not fresh. In the fridge, they supplied 2 sodas and 2 waters for our stay. This is extremely minimal, and I consider this bordering on fraudulent to advertise. Having traveled extensively (20 + countries), we both are accustomed to bottled water in the room, so when I read online that sodas and waters are complimentary, I expected more.

The breakfast part of the B & B is practically nonexistent, a couple of pieces of cake and days old fruit. Not exactly sure how they can categorize themselves as a B & B. My bet is the Holiday Inn provides a better breakfast from 6-10am. We ended up going to IHOP up the road for breakfast and another stop for coffee at Starbucks. It would have been great to enjoy some breakfast and coffee on the covered porch had they actually provided something worthy to be called breakfast. Additionally, window panes on the covered porch were broken, so it made it very cold and windy. I can imagine how mosquito infested this will become in the summer.

As far as the service goes, well, there was little to no service whatsoever. The room was not cleaned while we were there, not even to empty trash. beds were left undone and towels were not refreshed. The innkeeper did bring in 2 pieces of wine cake. If this was meant to be the next day's "breakfast" it was an extremely poor attempt. Additionally, the website states a breakfast basket would be delivered to the room each morning. I'm not sure the innkeeper was even on site the first morning of our stay.

When asked about the problems with the room, the innkeeper, Barbara, responded with "we don't do that because of the cost". Really???? What on earth are you spending your business' income on? It's certainly not your guests, that was very clear to us, which leads me to my last and most important "Bad". I expect much better service and actual amenities when I spend that much money for a room. We will not be back and I will share my opinion of this establishment with others planning to stay in Kemah.

Pasadena, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I love the Winery so we decided to try the Clipper House for a relaxing couples get away. Barbara was very helpful in making the reservations and when we arrived she filled us in on the accommodations and the restaurants she enjoys. The rooms were clean, the bed in "The Elissa" was very comfortable and the towels and robes were very nice. All the accomodations (TV, fridge,Jacuzzi,coffee pot, etc...) were in good working order with directions for use, if needed. The fruit and coffee were fresh, the cakes were absolutely the best (I could have enjoyed a lot more of the “wine cake”)! We love their wine so we loved the wine tasting and the cheese tray. Everyone was helpful and friendly and they just left us to rest and enjoy ourselves. We both left feeling refreshed and decided staying at the Clipper House is something we definitely will be doing again! Jim and Nancy.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Very nice B&B. The suites are spacious and warm. The location is fantastic (walk to all with plenty of options to eat, drink, and play)! The owner, Barbara, is so sweet. She goes out of her way to make you feel at home. She makes wonderful (homemade) breads and sweets. She gave us a great lead on where to buy Cowgirl rain boots (in a seed store in Fredicksburg, Texas). We went where she said and got the exact ones she spoke of. Barbara went out of her way to help us. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Nice kitchens are in the suites.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I reserved a cottage at the Clipper House Inn and Vineyard for our 11th wedding anniversary. I was told by Barbara (Inn Keeper) that since we were arriving on Saturday we must check in around 3 pm because she does a wine tour at 2 pm and at 4 pm. When we made the reservation we were invited to attend the 4 pm wine tour after we checked in.

We arrived at the Inn at 2:30 pm and found a note on the office door (left by Barbara) that said she was next door at the Winery and it listed a phone number to call if we were there to check in. We called the number and it rang in the office. We walked over to the winery and found Barbara with a group of people conducting a tour. She asked if we were there to check in to the Inn and said that she would be with us in 20 minutes. She asked us to wait in the courtyard for her to return.

After waiting for Barbara to return for over an hour we called the number again on the door of the office. Again, the phone rang in the office and I left a second message on the voice mail that we were still waiting to check in to our cottage.

After two hours (it was now 4:30 pm - we arrived at 2:30) we walked back over to the Winery to find Barbara. Barbara was with a different group of people and was conducting another wine tour. We explained to her that we were waiting to check in to our cottage and had been waiting for 2 hours. She said she would be with us as soon as she finished the tour.

At 5:00 pm Barbara returned to the office to check us in to our cottage. She walked past us without speaking, walked in to the office, and shut the door with us outside. When we went in to the office she was listening to the two voicemails that I had left her. As she started printing out the paperwork for us to check in I told her that we had been waiting for 21/2 hours and had tried to call the number she had left on the door. She siad that number rings in the office and also rings her cell phone but she turns off her cell because it distracts her when she is doing a tour. She then scolded us for being late (we were 30 minutes early) and blamed us for not being checked in because we were told to be there at 3 pm. I explained (again) that we had arrived at 2:30 pm, talked to her at that time and she told us she would be with us in 20 minutes, and was sitting in the courtyard waiting for her outside the office at 3 pm and she never returned. At this point she starting yelling at us," I'M SORRY! I'M AN OLD LADY! I'M SORRY! I GOT DISTRACTED! I'M AN OLD LADY!"

My husband and I are both very easy going people and don't get angry easily. Had she aplogized and taken ownership of the problem we would have let it go and not given her a bad review. She did not handle the situation well at all and I can't imagine why she reacted angrily towards us for something that she done.

Unfortunately, because of this situation, we will never stay at this B& B again - also, I would not recommend it to anyone.

In addition - when you pay for B& B service (prices are higher than a hotel) you expect a little more. There was no fresh milk or cream in the refrigerator (only one coke, one Mountain Dew, and 2 waters) - nothing else in the refrigerator. The coffee was dried out and not fresh. There was some old looking fruit in the fruit bowel on the counter. They did leave two slices of cake from the winery and it was good. The towels were rough and the robes were snagged (looked like they had been washed a hundred times). The courtyard outside the room was not in prestine condition - it really needs some work. There are several fans with missing blades, a fountain that was green and stinky (you could smell it when you stood beside it), an empty fountain, and the furniture in the courtyard needs a good cleaning.

Overall, we were really disappointed with our stay - too bad it turned out like this because we really love to give good reviews.

Groves, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had a most pleasant stay celebrating our 2nd anniversary. The Clipper House Inn, Clear Creek Winery and Tabella all exceeded our expectations. Each was unique and totally enjoyable. Personalized service made our anniversary one we will always remember. We definitely will plan another getaway to these wonderful venues again.
Kevin and Gina

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Clipper House Inn? Share your experiences!