“Comfy in Kemah” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clipper House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kemah
Clipper House Inn
You added Clipper House Inn to your Saves list
710 Bradford Ave., Kemah, TX 77565   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Kemah B&B and Inns
Pasadena, Texas
“Comfy in Kemah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I love the Winery so we decided to try the Clipper House for a relaxing couples get away. Barbara was very helpful in making the reservations and when we arrived she filled us in on the accommodations and the restaurants she enjoys. The rooms were clean, the bed in "The Elissa" was very comfortable and the towels and robes were very nice. All the accomodations (TV, fridge,Jacuzzi,coffee pot, etc...) were in good working order with directions for use, if needed. The fruit and coffee were fresh, the cakes were absolutely the best (I could have enjoyed a lot more of the “wine cake”)! We love their wine so we loved the wine tasting and the cheese tray. Everyone was helpful and friendly and they just left us to rest and enjoy ourselves. We both left feeling refreshed and decided staying at the Clipper House is something we definitely will be doing again! Jim and Nancy.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cocoa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Very nice B&B. The suites are spacious and warm. The location is fantastic (walk to all with plenty of options to eat, drink, and play)! The owner, Barbara, is so sweet. She goes out of her way to make you feel at home. She makes wonderful (homemade) breads and sweets. She gave us a great lead on where to buy Cowgirl rain boots (in a seed store in Fredicksburg, Texas). We went where she said and got the exact ones she spoke of. Barbara went out of her way to help us. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Nice kitchens are in the suites.
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I reserved a cottage at the Clipper House Inn and Vineyard for our 11th wedding anniversary. I was told by Barbara (Inn Keeper) that since we were arriving on Saturday we must check in around 3 pm because she does a wine tour at 2 pm and at 4 pm. When we made the reservation we were invited to attend the 4 pm wine tour after we checked in.

We arrived at the Inn at 2:30 pm and found a note on the office door (left by Barbara) that said she was next door at the Winery and it listed a phone number to call if we were there to check in. We called the number and it rang in the office. We walked over to the winery and found Barbara with a group of people conducting a tour. She asked if we were there to check in to the Inn and said that she would be with us in 20 minutes. She asked us to wait in the courtyard for her to return.

After waiting for Barbara to return for over an hour we called the number again on the door of the office. Again, the phone rang in the office and I left a second message on the voice mail that we were still waiting to check in to our cottage.

After two hours (it was now 4:30 pm - we arrived at 2:30) we walked back over to the Winery to find Barbara. Barbara was with a different group of people and was conducting another wine tour. We explained to her that we were waiting to check in to our cottage and had been waiting for 2 hours. She said she would be with us as soon as she finished the tour.

At 5:00 pm Barbara returned to the office to check us in to our cottage. She walked past us without speaking, walked in to the office, and shut the door with us outside. When we went in to the office she was listening to the two voicemails that I had left her. As she started printing out the paperwork for us to check in I told her that we had been waiting for 21/2 hours and had tried to call the number she had left on the door. She siad that number rings in the office and also rings her cell phone but she turns off her cell because it distracts her when she is doing a tour. She then scolded us for being late (we were 30 minutes early) and blamed us for not being checked in because we were told to be there at 3 pm. I explained (again) that we had arrived at 2:30 pm, talked to her at that time and she told us she would be with us in 20 minutes, and was sitting in the courtyard waiting for her outside the office at 3 pm and she never returned. At this point she starting yelling at us," I'M SORRY! I'M AN OLD LADY! I'M SORRY! I GOT DISTRACTED! I'M AN OLD LADY!"

My husband and I are both very easy going people and don't get angry easily. Had she aplogized and taken ownership of the problem we would have let it go and not given her a bad review. She did not handle the situation well at all and I can't imagine why she reacted angrily towards us for something that she done.

Unfortunately, because of this situation, we will never stay at this B& B again - also, I would not recommend it to anyone.

In addition - when you pay for B& B service (prices are higher than a hotel) you expect a little more. There was no fresh milk or cream in the refrigerator (only one coke, one Mountain Dew, and 2 waters) - nothing else in the refrigerator. The coffee was dried out and not fresh. There was some old looking fruit in the fruit bowel on the counter. They did leave two slices of cake from the winery and it was good. The towels were rough and the robes were snagged (looked like they had been washed a hundred times). The courtyard outside the room was not in prestine condition - it really needs some work. There are several fans with missing blades, a fountain that was green and stinky (you could smell it when you stood beside it), an empty fountain, and the furniture in the courtyard needs a good cleaning.

Overall, we were really disappointed with our stay - too bad it turned out like this because we really love to give good reviews.

Groves, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had a most pleasant stay celebrating our 2nd anniversary. The Clipper House Inn, Clear Creek Winery and Tabella all exceeded our expectations. Each was unique and totally enjoyable. Personalized service made our anniversary one we will always remember. We definitely will plan another getaway to these wonderful venues again.
Kevin and Gina

Hitchcock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Upon arrival,the wife and I were met with smiling faces and a realy neat and clean location.Just 4 blocks from the boardwalk was perfect for us to walk off the many meals that we had.The beds , rooms and the like,were were all neat and clean.Although the cottage dated back to the 30`s the antique atmosphere was quite enjoyable and very relaxing.The wine cake,(made by Barbera),was excellent bar none! I recommened this place as a "have to go there" and stay.Thanks Barbera and Johnny for a wonderful stay...and oh yeah,, ...the wine is delish!!!

Steven Davenport

Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

This was a great B&B and wonderful getaway for my husband and I to celebrate our third anniversary. We stayed in the Mont Blanc and it was perfect and roomy enough for us. The area is quiet and the winery right next to the property was great. We had a personalized bottle of wine waiting for us when we arrived, as well as water and sodas in the fridge. The breakfast was okay as others have mentioned, but that's okay because I visited the Starbucks just a couple of blocks away for that anyway. It is within walking distance of the Boardwalk and lots of the local restaurants and bars. We will definitely be back! Great place for a relaxing and quiet getaway that's also close enough to all of the main attractions.

Room Tip: Check out all of their options on their website, or call Barbara - she's great and very helpful!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My husband I recently stayed in the Elissa. Ms. Barbara was a fantastic and gracious hostess. We arrived during a winter freeze. Ms. Barbara made sure the room was nice an warm upon our arrival. Everything we needed was supplied in the cottage. There were wonderful treats of fresh cake, muffin, and a fruit basket. The wine and cheese tasting was very nice and within walking distance of our cottage. I absolutely adored our room and entire experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kemah
Boardwalk Inn
Boardwalk Inn
#2 of 5 in Kemah
4.0 of 5 stars 324 reviews
Holiday Inn Kemah (near boardwalk)
Days Inn Kemah
Days Inn Kemah
#3 of 5 in Kemah
3.5 of 5 stars 162 reviews
Quality Inn & Suites Seabrook Nasa Kemah
BEST WESTERN PLUS Seabrook Suites
Hilton Houston NASA Clear Lake

Been to Clipper House Inn? Share your experiences!