“Nice little place to watch boats” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Hamburgers, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Ridgefield,CT
“Nice little place to watch boats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The food is... Interesting. The batter on anything fried is too thick and gritty. The red beans and rice are not like any red beans I have ever made or ordered. I'm from the deep south, so I know my southern food. This red beans and rice would be sold as chili anywhere else in the world. It clearly has chili powder in it, as well as cumin. The popcorn shrimp were decidedly frozen previously and the étouffée tasted a bit like a curry. Maybe it's a Texas take on a NOLA classic? The poboy and smoked oysters were ok according to my husband and mother-in-law, but nothing to remember.

The service was ok, and the atmosphere nice since you can look over the Barbour. I wouldn't come back for the food though. At least not of your looking for good southern food, or food that is properly seasoned/cooked.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Great Cajan Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is mainly protected outdoor seating. Cool atmosphere. The food is very good. Authentic in taste. Shrimp boil outstanding and cooked just right! Lots of food for a reasonable price. Two appetizers,two main dishes, a couple of beers, one desert, and tip was about 50.00 bucks. Not bad when you factor in good service, fresh seafood, and outstanding atmosphere.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Peoria, Illinois
“Fun Hangout Atmosphere and GREAT food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

About a week ago, my boyfriend and I vacationed to see a friend living near Houston. We weren’t sure where to go for supper, but when my friend found out I’ve never had Cajun before, she just HAD to take me to Crazy Alan’s.

We went on a Friday night, so I wasn’t surprised it was super crowded. I really really wanted a seat on the patio, but it was too full. We got seated upstairs instead, which was still nice, with a view of the boats and all.

Overall the place definitely has a vibe of its own. Kind of an old, casual hang out type feeling to it. They had a live band on the stage too, which was nice. I like places with this kind of atmosphere, so I really enjoyed it.

As for food and prices. My friend got the Shrimp Etoufee, which was the special that night for about $10. My boyfriend ordered the crawfish, which he is STILL talking about, lol. I didn’t catch the price on that though, but I definitely think it’s a popular dish. I got the Fried Swamp Trash Platter for about $24, which had catfish, oysters, shrimp, alligator, and fries. I wanted to try a lot of different things, but I took more than half of it home with me. It was fantastic food though!

The service seemed about average. My friend said it varies, but the lady we got that nice was really friendly and helpful.

On a whole, it was a really nice time.. Great food and a fun night out with friends. :)

• Visited April 2013
Sacramento, California
“$3.99/lb crawdads Monday and Wednesday nights..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

..you can't beat that! Live music when we went there on a Wednesday night. Look for the "special guests" near the bathroom. Being from California, had to observe the locals on how to eat the 'dads properly. We ordered three pounds, our tiny petite waitress said she could pack in five pounds on her own. Go figure. Started with the oysters and the appetizer platter (not the premium one), and could barely finish the three pounds of crawdads. Nice and spicy even though I asked for mild. Used the whole roll of paper towels for that one. Appys were good, never had fried pickles before. Four stars because the bread pudding was stale. All in all, good place to eat if you're out of town and you want some of that local flavor.

Katy, Texas, United States
“Really great service- Best Red beans and rice ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I really liked the food here and as busy as this place was, I loved how great the service was!! I had the red beans and rice and also the fried oysters. Both were fabulous and I would highly recommend this place.