“Mediocre experience at Kemah Bella Spa and Retreat” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 15 attractions in Kemah
Type: Spas
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Beautiful spa retreat located in the heart of the lighthouse district. We offer top quality services and organic products right down to the sheets. Wine, champagne and herbal teas are complimentary and can be enjoyed on our breezy veranda or amazing relaxation retreat.
Houston, Texas
“Mediocre experience at Kemah Bella Spa and Retreat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

My husband had a coupon for a free massage and facial so I made an appointment before we left town for Christmas.
My masseuse was friendly, but intense. She is incredibly interested in stress points, moreso than any masseuse I've met. She flipped me over and began to do my facial. I was a bit surprised that she was both the masseuse and facialist, and it was clear to me that she was either new at doing facials, or just not very good. She couldn't answer basic questions or recommend products. She advised me I should ask the receptionist "b/c she knows about that kind of thing."
Her style was rough, especially when she rubbed exfoliating cream into my face and raked a towel across my cheeks. They were burning after a couple of scrubs.
At some point, she told me she had to leave and to have a Merry Christmas, and she then left the room. I had green cream in my hairline and some cream still on my reddened face. I dressed and approached the receptionist to ask her if I should l wash my face. She acted as though I was completely stupid to ask that question and showed me the restroom and advised me to rub it in.
Then when I returned to pay, she quoted me a figure that didn't make sense. I asked her to explain the costs to me (I wasn't argumentative, I just wanted to understand why 2 free services cost $40). Turns out I had to pay a fee and some sort of upgrade price, plus tip. I finally paid her and left, frustrated at the way she treated me in the transaction.
I won't return.

Visited December 2010
m0niluv, Owner at Kemah Bella Spa and Retreat, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
I am sorry for your experience at Kemah Bella Spa. The therapist you were describing was a trigger point specialist but she was also new to the field. She was very good at that modality of massage but she should have made sure that was the type of massage you had scheduled. We now have several massage therapists that specialize in a variety of Massage techniques and have been Massage Therapists for several years. The free card you were referring to is a Customer Appreciation card we cooperated with, a 30 minute massage and face treatment is complimentary. The only fee required is a 20% charge so we can pay it to your therapist. Unless you upgrade to a full body 50 minute massage and then you pay an upgrade fee( which I looked it up and you did get the upgrade). Its all explained in detail on the back of the card you signed. We are always trying to improve and enjoy feedback on how to better serve every client who walks through the door, and also I know what areas need work. So thank you so much and we have worked on every issue you have listed even as far as special training classes to getting new employees for the front and back.