“Best authentic Italian in town and beyond!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 414 Restaurants in Katy
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“Best authentic Italian in town and beyond!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've ventured into town for high-dollar, much talked-about Italian restaurants that don't measure up to the authenticity of the meals I've had at Da Vinci. The warm, cozy atmosphere makes for an intimate dinner, and you can actually carry on a conversation. I've dined there several times, usually with friends or my fiancé, but there's typically a family or two with small children, but that has never has bothered the diners I'm with.

Da Vinci only serves dinner, beginning at 5pm. I recommend making a reservation, although Sun-Thurs you can usually be seated, due to it's size, the dining room fills up quickly. So, reservations on Fri & Sat are a must.

I've never had a bad meal here; I always order from the blackboard. The waitstaff impressively recite the special (and it's a long list!) appetizers and entrees. They start you off with a complimentary crostini, served with the most deliciously whipped salmon mousse and a mouth-watering olive tapenade. These spreads are so delicious, that my fiancé, who likes neither salmon nor olives requested more! Unless I'm sharing with someone, I'll pass on the appetizer, just because the meals are plentiful. However, worth mentioning is the prosciutto-wrapped asparagus (asparagi di formaggio) which is paired with creamy goat cheese and served on a small bed of greens. My favorite entree is the braised lamb shank, served on a bed of velvety wild mushroom risotto. Another favorite is the red fish alla sarda, baked with olives and capers, topped with lump crab meat. I know I haven't even mentioned a pasta dish, but I'm about to! The pappardelle aragosta almost has more shellfish than noodles! The lumps of crab meat, lobster claws and shrimp are paired, oh so nicely, with a sherry cream sauce. If that doesn't have you drooling, then let me mention some desserts.

The Italian cream cake is a dense rich cake that was shared by three of us. My favorite is always the spumoni ice cream; it's just yummy! On a lighter side is the raspberry champagne sorbet. Be assured, there's nothing simple about the desserts. Thery are all plated up in the most decorative and festive way, complete with a sparkler for special occasions!

Oh...and the pricing is more than reasonable. That delicious pasta dish I previously mentioned, costs less than $30. My favorite lamb shank, less than $20. I almost forgot, the house Cabernet, at only $7 is incredibly delicious.

• Visited October 2012

Calgary
“Appetizers, wonderful. Entrees, especially fish, ouch.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

In short, the apps here are fantastic. But on three (3) separate occasions I had fish, hoping each time would correct the previous experience. Not so. Very dry, way over cooked and downright unappealing. I gave to wonder who's writing all of these reviews because this raving 5-star trend has not been our experience. The veal shank was excellent I will say. Whoever happens to be cooking fish needs a refresher in skills and cooking time in the kitchen!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best restaurant in Katy by a long shot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Fabulous food, wine and desserts. Nothing even close to it here in Katy. It is a family owned restaurant, not part of a chain. The husband and wife team that own it make sure your dining experience is complete. He has cooked for Presidents, Dignitaries, and Celebrities all over the world. We are fortunate that he decided to settle down in Katy to raise his family.

The food is Italian with a French influence.

Be sure to tell them its your Birthday for an "extra special experience"

Sealy, Texas
“Excellent, authentic italian, but a bit overwhelming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

We came here with another couple, the service was very good. The atmosphere was very quaint and romantic. The food was authentic and fresh, the wine was delicious. I would say the only downfall was the menu was overwhelming, the server came and read it off of a chalkboard and I couldn't understand her. The dessert was very decorative and good, it was huge! We enjoyed it and would go back.

Houston, Texas
“Closest you get to Italy in Katy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I live close to this restaurant and have been there several times after moving to Katy. Both the food and service are excellent. They serve a variety of Italian food and wines at what I think are fairly priced. Staff are really friendly. I have been to Italy about seven times and this place is pretty similar to what you will find there.

A good sign is that this place is always pretty busy so you need to make a resevation before you go there.

• Visited August 2012