“Business stay one night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Hotel Colchester

You added Quality Hotel Colchester to your Saves list
Quality Hotel Colchester
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   A12/A120 Ardleigh Junction, Ardleigh C07 7QY, England (Formerly Ramada Colchester)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ardleigh
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Business stay one night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed before so easy to find. Yes its near motorway but its not too noisy.
Room was ok and basic but the price charged is very reasonable.
Hotel has stopped doing room service so as I always have lots to do I had to order and then go and collect it. This service I think they should bring back and charge a small fee.
Bed comfy and slept well.
Cheap hotel for one night stays.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
OpsColc, Manager at Quality Hotel Colchester, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review in regards to your last visit to the hotel. I am pleased to read that you had a comfortable nights stay and we delivered value for money.

The team very much appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

This was our second visit this year having stayed here back in May. Once again we booked using a Buyagift 2 for 1 voucher. Before leaving for our stay I had a read of the latest reviews and was truly shocked at some of the scathing posts of the hotel, some are a little unjustified and unfair but some were indeed accurate. In my previous review I mentioned a number of shortcomings the hotel had and unfortunately in the last six months all of these remain plus a few more.

Firstly the positives, we were warmly greeted by the friendly reception staff and this time we were given room 104 on the ground floor at the rear of the hotel. Our room had a very comfortable large double bed, we requested extra pillows which were sorted out no problem. The bathroom was the same as before and came with nice large bath towels and hand towels plus shower gel and soap. The shower was hot and powerful. The room also had a large flat screen TV, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities. Breakfast on Saturday was plentiful having chosen the full English with fried eggs, two sausages, two bacon, beans, mushrooms and half a grilled tomato. However, on Sunday there was a different chef and the same breakfast was a little sparse with just a few baked beans and a miniscule amount of mushrooms. If you are on a room only rate, you pay for the breakfast which costs £10. I would have been rather disappointed to have paid that for my Sunday offering. We found all the staff to be friendly. Wi-Fi was free and was available throughout the hotel and we had a strong signal in our room.

Now, unfortunately the negatives, when we pulled into the car park which on this occasion was in darkness, the same pot holes were there including the ones surrounded by cones. Many of the car park lights on posts were out. On entering the hotel I noticed the carpet by the bar was the same, black and worn out, it’s the same carpet that runs into the restaurant where again it’s worn and threadbare in many places. Again the bar stools had seen better days as had some of the restaurant furniture. As for our room, I’m afraid to say there were a few annoying issues here. My bedside lampshade was damaged, there were stains on the walls in numerous places which could easily be cleaned off, the net curtain had stains on and the carpet was getting a little threadbare (I have added some pictures). I mentioned before that the bedrooms could do with some pictures instead of having bare walls. Other minor disappointments include, they still don’t provide a morning newspaper service and they removed the quiz machine from the bar which I enjoyed playing on last time we were here. Also, its hotel policy you can’t pay by cash at the bar after 11pm. Six months ago you could add it to your room tab but even this has been stopped and now you have to pay by card if you want a late drink so some might find this a little inconvenient. On a plus note, at least this time the long grass had been cut and the hedges trimmed around the hotel grounds.

Speaking to a member of staff, they said that the hotel was due for some investment, may I suggest that Jupiter hotels get a move on and start having a bit of a refurb. You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression and by going by some of those recent reviews, those guests won’t be returning.

On our last visit we paid £49.50, on this occasion we paid £69.30 for the two nights. We use this Quality hotel as it suits our needs and is in the right area of Colchester being in close proximity to the A12 & A120.

Finally, and I have mentioned this before, if you are staying here for the first time I strongly advise you to Google map it first as you can easily miss the turn off for the hotel (it’s not sign posted) even with the correct Sat-Nav post code.

On my last review I gave the hotel a 4 star rating, regretfully this time it’s 3 stars (but 5 stars for the staff). I have tried to give a fair and balanced review.

Room Tip: Google map the hotel if you are visiting for the first time so you know where to find it.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
OpsColc, Manager at Quality Hotel Colchester, responded to this review, November 10, 2014
Dear Finkfloydman

Thank you for your review concering your recent stay at the hotel. Your comments are very important to us and the feedback we receive will enable us to target the problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve on what we offer.

As you were advised by the team, we are presently assesing the hotel for refurbishment and repairs to the car park have commenced today. I have also passed on your comments to the maintenance team in regards to the lights in the car park.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments as we know there are many choices when it comes to staying in the area and we hope you will contine to use us for your future stays.

Hastings, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

I was booked in this hotel for 4 nights on a business trip, after the first night i had enough and had my reservation cancelled and changed to another hotel. When we arrived the car park was empty which wasn't a good sign to start off with. The entrance had an aroma of chip fryer grease. We checked in and went up to the room and found it to be very plain and dull. You could feel every spring ping and twang on the bed and the sheets had hairs all over it.
Breakfast in the morning looked and tasted greasy.
Would prefer to sleep in the car over staying here ever again

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear BenBailey93

Thank you very much for taking time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I regret however that the level of service received on this occassion did not completely meet the expected standards and I have shared your feed back with both the kitchen and housekeeping team.

I regret that this had a negative impact on yuor decision to continue to stay with us and for this I can only applogise.

Again thank you for your feed back and I hope we can have the opportunity of welcoming you back again

UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014

I am aware it's around Halloween but the ghoulish welcome was cold to say the least. The decor is old and worn, the bar carpet (what's left of it) sticky and full of dirt. The staff only needed false fangs as none even tried to smile.
On a plus .. The bar food wasn't bad ... Oh forgot the toilets hope you like the smell of rotten cabbage!

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
OpsColc, General Manager at Quality Hotel Colchester, responded to this review, November 2, 2014
Dear Shamus67

I would like to thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay.

We are presently assessing the hotel as we are aware of the heavy usage and wear and tear throughout the whole hotel.

I am most concerned to read of your comments concering the shortfall in your less than friendly welcome to the hotel as this is not our usual standard and for this I can only appologise. I can assure you we take all guest reviews negative or positive very seriously and your comments will help us improve on what we can offer.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back in the future

Kind Regads
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night, and wished I'd slept in the car park in my van. Rooms smell damp. Chair was broken in room. Bed was so soft I had to get help to get out of it. Food. Could do with a health and hygiene visit. Breakfast at McDonald's was called for after the £10 for egg on toast. Save your money and book something else. But if your a builder, then it's great for you.

Stayed October 2014
GMColc, Manager at Quality Hotel Colchester, responded to this review, October 26, 2014

We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your comments will help us improve the service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope we can have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2014

Well let's start with a positive, the staff are helpful & their service is decent. As for the rest of it firstly the hotel is not easy to find off the sliproad, secondly I wish I had read the previous reviews before booking, thirdly I totally agree with Jaci10 that the place is a dump! Badly in need of refurbishment with holes in the carpet in my room & It could best be described as"tired." The free internet is useless, the food whilst hot, is virtually tasteless, the car park is dark & certainly not safe for a women. In summary, I am sure that there are much better hotels in Colchester & I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: I do n't think they have one!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
GMColc, Manager at Quality Hotel Colchester, responded to this review, October 16, 2014
Thank for your recent feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and we are very sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are hgihly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guest needs and expectations and on this occassion we appologise for your disappointment with our amenities.

Again thank you for taking time to review your stay and we hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

Stayed here for a week for work purposes. Worst hotel i have ever stayed in. There is nothing quality about the hotel. The hotel is dated, the bar area and the dining area are in major need of an upgrade. The bedrooms aren't nice at all, there's bits missing in the carpet, lamp shades are broken, the windows open too far, it's either all the way or nothing, so if your on the ground floor it's like inviting people to kidnap you. The whole place has a horrible dirty feel to it. And the food..oh God. My colleagues and I decided to try the food in the hotel. I ordered pate (see picture) and it's the worst pate I've ever been served. It was served upright and when I sliced some off i noticed some of the pate was a weird colour, turned it over and it looks as the picture shows. Rock hard and disgusting. When we notified the waiter he didn't apologise and just said "i'll get you another one" which i quickly declined. My colleagues asked for garlic bread with cheese, this came without cheese and when they mentioned this the waiter took it back to the kitchen and came back with a small sprinkling of hard cheese on top..not what you call cheesey garlic bread. It was hilariously dreadful. The bruschetta was also laughable, not what you would expect at all. When the mains came we were already apprehensive and we weren't disappointed in how bad it was. The pizza's were shop brought even though the waiter told me they have a pizza over which they clearly don't! The burger had a dead fly on the plate. it was disgusting. Again no apology. After wards we went for a McDonalds which we should of done in the first place. Breakfast was poor. Would never stay here again out of choice and wouldn't recommend either. Only good thing about the hotel was that the wifi was decent.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Been to Quality Hotel Colchester? Share your experiences!