“Budget Hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Hotel Colchester

You added Quality Hotel Colchester to your Saves list
Quality Hotel Colchester
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   A12/A120 Ardleigh Junction, Ardleigh C07 7QY, England (Formerly Ramada Colchester)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ardleigh
Chelmsford
“Budget Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Whilst moving house, my Partner and I stayed here for a few days spread over a month (March/April). Firstly, I must say that the price was good on a few occasions (£24 deal) however, I certainly would not pay more than £35 for a night here. The evening porter (I believe his name was Martin) was rude and abrupt and came accross as though you were an inconvenience to him. On the other hand, the day staff and Duty Manager always came accross as pleasent but otherwise occupied. We stayed in one of the suites which was very tired, certainly a new sofa, carpet and dining table are needed. The bathroom was basic, lacklustre and overall very basic - no shampoo/body wash provided, just an extremely thin bar of soap and two plastic cups (as you would expect in a travellodge). We did not stay for breakfast although, it did look appealing and I'm sure would of been very enjoyable. This hotel is certainly not the standard of a 3* - It really needs to either market itself as a budget hotel or speed up the refurb and get the hotel into a good shape to attract more business. I would strongly advise that you reconsider staying here if you are on a leisure break or want a romantic get away, its the kind of hotel you could stay at if on a business trip or out with the lads for a weekend in the town.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra to upgrade to a suite, it really isnt worth it. Put up with what you have an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked a room for my sn

My son had his wedding breakfast and evening reception here on 28/6/13. Food for both functions was very good as was the service. Sadly the D.J. was ill so they had a relief guy in who was a huge disappointment. MY son had booked me a room for the night which was pleasant and comfortable and breakfast the following morning was also very good. Would I stop here again? If an occasion such as a wedding was being held there yes but otherwise no as to be honest as I only live just down the road, but as I do not drive it is very convenint

Room Tip: The hotel is an excellent stop off point for travellers to the coast or Suffolk.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel over the years (previously the Ramada, now the 'Quality Hotel').

The change of owners so far has done nothing to prevent this hotel sliding into a total shambles. Staff are unmotivated, and look totally defeated.

This time the room was very cold in June. We rang reception and they said they would 'boost' the heat - nothing happened.As a result of the lack of heat in the rooms the bed was damp. The mattress was thin and uncomfortable. Shower was a joke - might as well have a tin can with some holes, for the amount of pressure you got. Furniture in the room all needs throwing out and replacing - it is getting very worn.

I think this hotel can't work out if it wants to be a 'full service hotel', or a budget 'Premier Inn' type of hotel. As a result it does neither well.

I was looking forward to breakfast, as these were pretty good previously - but no, the new owners thought that they would suck what was the few remaining good experiences out of the hotel under the previous owners and replace it with something sub standard. The fresh coffee had been replaced by a coffee machine, the sausages were now just this side of the type that are super cheap at the supermarket etc etc. To top it off they tried to charge us double for the bar bill.

Pity, as it has nice grounds in a handy location.

PS 'Quality Hotel' (that's a joke!)- don't bother to reply that you are 'upgrading'. It is our last time there, unless we see Trip Advisor reviews take a huge leap upward.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ramadacol, General Manager at Quality Hotel Colchester, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Quality Hotel Colchester.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and your stay with us was dissapointing.

I would like to take this opportunity to state that the Hotel has not undergone an ownership change; we have undergone a brand change from Ramada and into a franchise agreement with Choice Hotels operating as a Quality Hotel.

In line with this, we are currently undergoing our refurbishment programme which will rectify the bedroom issues you experienced during your stay.

I hope that in the future, you will re-condsider staying with us again.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Expectations were low after some of the previous reviews. In fact, the hotel was fine. The rooms were pretty standard for a three star chain hotel. Reception staff were excellent and the bar and restaurant staff, although inexperienced, tried hard. Food was ok and breakfast freshly cooked. There was little noise from the two nearby dual carriageways.
All in all good value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Hotel.

I am pleased to read that your had a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us and we catered for your requirements.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel again soon.

lincolnshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Rang the day before to see if we cold check in early, very polite and helpful man said he could have a room ready for us by 12. We arrived 12.30 to a rude receptionist who said can I help when I said we are her to check in, She said rudely that check in was a 2pm. When I said we was going to a wedding and had rang the day before to arrange early check in, she said yes and so do other people Want to check in early. We then got in the room, There were massive cobwebs in 3 corners of the room, the bath panel was cracked the whole width and black mould was growing round he edge of the bath. When I pulled the dressing table chair out I cut myself on the staple sticking out where the upholstery was falling apart. I sent a very nice e mail stating our experience to the general manager and I was ignored. I have never complained about a hotel before in my life so you might know how bad this was.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review following your stay at the Quality Hotel Colchester earlier this month.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and there were a number of issues you experienced during your stay, largely regarding the quality and cleanliness of your bedroom.

I would like to apologise in particular for the encounter with the staff on arrival at the Hotel; there is no excuse for this and I would like to reassure all our guests that this is not indicative of the usual level of service provided by the Hotel.

We are well underway on our programme of bedroom refurbishment to enhance our product and the stay of our future guests. I hope that you may consider staying with us again should the need arise.

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is my fourth visit to this hotel. I find it comfortable, like an old pair of shoes. My ground floor room was fine but dated (refurb due soon). It must be good judging by the number of ants residing there! Bar is OK, food is below par but there is an excellent pub/restaurant at the entrance. Not up to Premier Inn standard but acceptable and conveniently located.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Quality Hotel Colchester.

I am pleased to read that you are a regular guest with us and thank you for continuing to support the Hotel whilst you visit Colchester.

I would like to take this opportunity to mention that the Hotel has not undergone an ownership change, we have had a brand change from Ramada into a franchise agreement with Choice Hotels operating as a Quality Hotel. Following this re-branding, we are heavily investing in the Hotel and improving our product which can currently be seen by the bedroom refurbishment programme that is well underway.

I hope that on your next stay you will see the changes that we have made/are making and you will continue to stay with us in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon.

Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Having booked this hotel before reading the recent reviews I was a little worried. My fears were not allayed by the slightly frosty welcome at reception. Thankfully there was no need to worry. Although the room looked a little tired it was absolutely fine, clean and more than adequate for a night's stay. It's set in a nice location with easy access to Colchester. I hope that the promised renovation is forthcoming as with a little tlc it could be great.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Quality Hotel Colchester.

I am pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay with us, and I thank you for sharing your experience with others. I would also like to thank you for noting our location and the ease of access that the Hotel provides.

The refurbishment programme to the bedrooms is well underway, we currently have half of the bedstock completed for which we are receiving positive comments.

I hope that you may reconsider staying at the Hotel again soon should the need arise.

General Manager (Interim)

Been to Quality Hotel Colchester? Share your experiences!