“Mulberry House Rules.....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Old Mulberry Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jefferson
Old Mulberry Inn
You added Old Mulberry Inn to your Saves list
209 Jeferson Street, Jefferson, TX 75657   |
Ranked #12 of 27 Jefferson B&B and Inns
Dallas, TX
“Mulberry House Rules.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

The property itself is lovely and comfortable (with one or two exceptions) but our minimal contact with the inkeepers was disappointing. We arrived a bit early, and, respecting the 3:00 check-in, we were going to ask if we could just drop off our bags and then come back to check in. Mrs. Inkeeper met us at the door and rather shortly informed us that they had a family crisis, there would be NO breakfast, our key was under the mat, and did I want to come IN or stay OUT because she was leaving and locking the door. We came in, but discovered that they key she left us didn't work for our room. We found the office and tried several other keys from the board and finally got in our room.

To Summarize, the room was nice and clean and the bed was comfortable. I just felt that the rules were rather harshly presented; I felt scolded from the moment we walked in -- the rule book includes: "Don't even THINK about changing the temperature setting. Do not bring soda cans to the breakfast table. The thermostat will not be changed - if you're uncomfortable, put on a sweater." etc. While I didn't object to any of the rules per se, I felt they could have been communicated in a warm and welcoming manner. The inkeeper herself was quite rude, and while this may be excused in light of her family crisis, it still wasn't a nice way to arrive. I was worried the whole time that we were going to do something wrong and incur her wrath.

Other concerns:
- We were disappointed that there was no breakfast, but they did adjust our rate.
- Water pressure in the shower was very low, which made showering a chore rather than a relaxing experience.
- Sodas and cookies provided were very nice; however, I truly missed having bottled water. We had to shop for some in town.
- You will hear some trains at night, so if this disturbs you, I recommend bringing some earplugs.

I hate to give a negative review for such a nice place, but a little care and concern on the part of the inkeepers could make it a truly wonderful place to stay.

• Liked — Nice, clean property
  • Disliked — Unwelcoming Atmosphere
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Burleson, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2006

The best thing about Mulberry Inn is the breakfasts. Donald, the innkeeper, serves a three course meal and every course is delicious! For example, we started one breakfast with an apple and whipped cream parfait sprinkled with nuts. This was followed by a plate of fluffy, light quiche (no crust) with a side of potatoes, fresh fruit, and sausage links. Lastly, we were served fresh baked cinnamon rolls. This was truly a gourmet meal, complete with lovely Christmas themed china plates, crystal glassware, and a silver tea tray.

We stayed in the Moments Cottage in the Angel's Camp room. The bed was very comfortable and the seven-foot bathtub for two was heavenly! Everything was immaculate---clean and crisp. The room was pretty, but plain, compared to other B&B's we have stayed in. There were not all the antiques and embellishments that most B&B's have. There were no drawers or a closet to store our clothes. There were several hooks on the walls, so we hung our clothes there. I was disappointed that the house was not decorated for Christmas--there was a Christmas tree in the parlor; there were no other decorations either inside or on the outside of the inn.

All that said, we had a wonderful time there and would stay there again. Next time I think we would stay in the main house instead of the cottage. I would recommend the Mulberry Inn to any couple looking for a cozy romantic getaway.

Word of advice: If you or your spouse are bothered by noise, do take earplugs. There is a railway which runs through Jefferson and trains blow their horns non-stop day and night. My husband found out from a local that 95 trains go through Jefferson daily!!! I am a heavy sleeper, so once I got to sleep, I was alright.

• Liked — delicious gourmet breakfasts
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

My husband and I booked this B&B for a fall retreat to Jefferson. The accommodations looked lovely on the site, prices were reasonable, and reviews glowing.

Though we stopped at the Annual Fire Ant Festival in Marshall, walked the event, grabbed a bite, and took pictures of their gorgeous courthouse, we still arrived in Jefferson an hour early. I recalled the check-in time was listed as 3 p.m. on the website, noting the innkeepers need for time to prepare and run errands. So, we drove around and checked out the town. Then after sitting outside in our car for about 20 minutes, we decided, at 2:50, that 10 minutes early wasn't too bad. After ringing the bell we noticed a sign that said if you had a reservation to check in AFTER 3 p.m. Donald let us in, seemingly reluctantly. Rather than feeling welcome, I felt horrible for being "so early." There is off-street parking for those staying in the cottages and a streetside parking pad for guests lodging in the main house.

The large back porch of the main house was an inviting escape and the Inn had plenty of novels, magazines, VHS and DVD's. The OMI offered homemade cookies (what a treat) and a mini fridge stocked with sodas, but no water, and a basket of individual-sized chips/salty snacks. Another treat, but I guess I was really thirsty during our stay because I was a bit bothered something as basic as bottled water was not included. The Inn itself was wonderfully furnished -soothing paint colors on the walls, crisp white crown moulding, very comfy bed and pillows- and has oodles of charm. I remember thinking how clean it was until I found stray hairs on the bathroom sink (large, red, and curly, matching neither owner). I laughed when I saw all the notes and the "manual," that said "READ THIS" on the cover. I recalled an earlier review here mentioned the numerous notes. I agree. It was a bit much. I think they could have used a little ditty or a poem for things like instructing women to remove make-up with the packaged wipes, or only one sign to remind folks to turn off the lights,etc. Then maybe it would have seemed less school-marmish.

Our dinner at La Mache's that evening was exquisite. The only drawback was I didn't have a bigger stomach to eat all of my shrimp carbonara!!! My husband had the lasagna (the recently added one with more meat) and we shared the ultimate chocolate cake, which was The ultimate. So yummy. Highly recommend eating there! (Another couple at the Inn said they ate at Stillwater Inn, which Donald recommended, and it was delicious as well.) We returned to the Inn and settled into our room comfortably for the night. The walls are pretty thin (we were in the English Garden) so a couple of times we heard people talking in the common area and the adjacent room, but quiet hours were observed, I think from 9-7:30 a.m. so it wasn't enough to ruin the experience. It's surprisingly peaceful considering the whistle of trains can be heard at times during the day and much less frequently at night. We slept soundly. Jefferson overall just slows you down, we thought, and the inn met our need for relaxation.

The next morning was the highlight of our stay - the community breakfast in the beautiful dining room. My husband said he takes away a little something from each B&B and from this one he'll treasure the fellowship at the breakfast table. The meal was considerable, an appetizer, if you will, of cereal, a slice of quiche, grapes, cantaloupe, sausage, and potatoes topped off with a delicious cherry dump cake. I can barely recall eating because we had such great conversation with everyone at the table.

Overall we definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

We really loved this luxurious and charming inn in Jefferson. It was our first time in Jefferson, and we don't think we can stay anywhere else! The owners attended to our needs and requests, and seemed to really know their trade. The "luxury" part of this b&b was just that, true luxury. We stayed in the "Tuscan" suite cottage, and having just stayed in Florence, IT on our honeymoon a year earlier, we were immediately transported back in time to our honeymoon. I could tell Donald and Gloria (owners) really loved to travel and brought a real sense of Tuscany back with them for everyone to enjoy, regardless if you have been to Italy or not. The bathtub for two, and showers for two, were absolutely magical, and we can't wait to return. We would highly recommend this b&b in Jefferson. We also really loved the formal breakfast with full complement of china, and outstanding food and warm service from our hosts. Our best wishes to Donald and Gloria.

Marc & Sue Pond

• Liked — Loved our room with luxury accomodations, and our hosts.
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

My husband and I celebrated our 15th anniversary this weekend at Old Mulberry Inn. Everything was exquisite from the quiet and elegant setting and luxurious comfortable bed to the tasty food. The entire house has special touches such as crown molding, wood floors and beautiful decor. The 3-course breakfast was elegantly presented and delicious. Innkeepers, Donald and Gloria were very pleasant and friendly.

I especially enjoyed relaxing in the jacuzzi in our room while eating their delicious homemade cookies. It was a special time of feeling totally pampered in beautiful surroundings.

We have been to many B&B's in our travels. Old Mulberry Inn is definitely one of our favorites. A real first class treat.

Amy and Roger B., Houston, Texas

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2005

We stayed in the bed and breakfast for a week night get-away. We had a great time. They are generous hosts without getting in the way. They provided excellent directions, had menus of area restaurants, provided in room snacks and served a delicious breakfast. We would go back in a second.

The Woodlands, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2005

This was our first bed and breakfast experience. We wanted something new and modern and NO GHOST stories to share..

We loved the new touches that Old Mulberry had, i.e highspeed internet, modern bath rooms, and new beds.

We are young and were looking for more of modern place to spend the night and we were not comfortable in a 100 year old place.

The breakfast was super and the mulberry bread was a special touch added.

We will be back..

Thanks Vanessa and Richard V. The Woodlands,Texas

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Old Mulberry Inn? Share your experiences!